cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Dump Through Sewer Vent?

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
So we are lucky enough to have sewers at our house. About a foot away from our house is a metal sewer vent that looks like the picture below. It's just a metal pipe coming from the ground with a cap on it. It is not threaded at all.

Let's say a got a macerator pump for my TT. Could I hook it up and then run a garden hose down the vent to empty my tanks?

21 REPLIES 21

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
100% for the sewer. We have gas and and houses that have oil tanks are in the backyard. You can even hear water gurgling as it flows out.

Trust me, I’ve lived in the area for over 40 years. Lol

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
winnietrey wrote:
sure, that's not an oil tank fill?

that was my guess. doesn't looks like any sewer clean-out access port that I've ever seen.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
sure, that's not an oil tank fill?

Might not make the city sewer administrators to happy. But--when we built our new house we had the plumbing fixed so I have a dump port that goes into the city sewer. They approved the plumbing so I guess in our case it was ok.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
it may not be a "sewer vent" but the sewer clean out access point. Most houses with access to sewer lines have a clean out port outside the house. If that is what it is, yes it can be used as a dump. That's exactly what we do.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
We have sewers.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Sewer or septic tanks? I assume you are certain this goes to one or the other. If so, then yes, just be careful you don't over load a septic system if your RV holding tanks are large. You can run some water down the vent with a fresh water hose to confirm their is no blockage that would cause a back up. You really don't want that!