cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can you help me crunch numbers? F150, 9600 tow capacity

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
I'm helping a friend trailer shop, they will be towing with a F150 4x2, rated at 9600lbs. Will soon be a family of 5.

I know when we crunched the numbers for our family of 5 (with our Armada) we were surprised at how little we could safely pull, I suspect it will be the same for him.

They're looking at 25-26' trailers, dry around 4500, gvwr around 6500. Too much?

Thanks!
2008 Nissan Armada TV
2007 Trail Cruiser 21RBH HTT
19 REPLIES 19

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
You've gotten some good advice on numbers, payload being the biggest enemy usually. I have the HD payload package and 2200 lbs capacity, but it gets used up quickly. We're a family of four and an occasional guest, add in bikes, firewood, tools, sometimes generator, not to mention tongue weights around 1100 lbs. I often tow a couple hundred over my GCWR of 15300. Other than lacking some power on bigger hills, the rig handles the weight beautifully.

The other part of the equation is the smaller engines like to spin higher to get the job done and some folks don't like to hear that. I just consider it music. When the hills get bigger and the air gets thin, be ready to spend a lot of time in lower gears with the RPMs up unless the 150 has a larger engine (6.2 or EcoBoost). My 5.4 L doesn't come to life until about 3800 RPM but will pull overdrive (4th) on flat and moderate highway hills. I'm sure the newer versions with the six speed do better.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
do they already have this truck? Or are they truck shopping?
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
Ron Gratz wrote:
3LittleDucks wrote:
I'm helping a friend trailer shop, they will be towing with a F150 4x2, rated at 9600lbs. Will soon be a family of 5.
They're looking at 25-26' trailers, dry around 4500, gvwr around 6500. Too much?
Your friends need to go through a process similar to the following:

1) Estimate how much the TT will weigh when loaded for camping.
For example, a TT which is 4500# "dry" might have a loaded weight of 5500#.

2) Estimate the TT's loaded tongue weight which should be around 13% of the TT's loaded weight.
For example, a 5500# TT might have a TW of about 700#.
When using a properly sized and properly adjusted WDH, the vertical load transferred to the TV will be equal to about 75-85% of TW, depending on how much load gets transferred to the TT's axles.
Lets assume the TT-induced load is 550#.

3) Look at the TIRE AND LOADING INFORMATION sticker on the driver's door edge or pillar.
Find the maximum allowable weight for Occupants and Cargo.
Subtract the estimated TT-induced load from the TV's max allowable payload.
The remainder is the amount of payload capacity available for weight of occupants, items added to TV after delivery, cargo carried in/on TV, plus about 100# for the WDH.

4) Your friends will have to decide if the remaining payload capacity is great enough to meet their needs.

Ron

Absolutely perfect post. Bottom line it's all about payload on the 1/2 tons. My F150 will tow 9,000#'s easy. Problem is I run out of payload at 1199#. Your friends will run out of payload way before they hit max trailer weight.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

traildog66
Explorer
Explorer
As stated tell them to check the payload # and get a brake controler and WD hitch. Load the trailer heavy and truck light.

wallacemf
Explorer
Explorer
I am pulling the rig in my signature, the trailer weighs in at 7500# - 7700# loaded, and I am within all of my capacity numbers, using an Equalizer WDH. My truck is an XLT with a 1625# payload. The upper F150 trim lines like the HD, Platinum, etc take a big hit in payload due to the options. I have seen some as low as 1100# payload, which is really low.

I wouldn't have any problem with the setup you are looking at....
-2015 Ford F250 XLT FX4 4x4 6.2L Crew
-2013 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
-Myself, the wife and the 2 kids (12 yr old girl and 14 yr old boy)
-Two formerly homeless cats, an American Bulldog, and a Russian tortoise

CND_SuperCrew
Explorer
Explorer
A 4x2 F150 will have more payload room also, compared to a 4x4. A TT similar to ours will be fine. I pulled it to the OR coast one year with my 03 F150. The only problem was headwinds. Loaded our TT comes in around an estimated 6k
TV 2012 F150 loaded XLT EB SuperCrew 7700GVWR Maxtow 6.5'
TT 2021 Keystone Passport GT 2870RL

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Old Days wrote:
The reason I say that, my TC loaded weighs about 1800 pounds and when I pull my 2000 pound boat my half ton truck struggles climbing the steep hills by my house. My next truck will be a GMC 2500.

Well, that could be because you may be 1000 pounds over GVWR. And each person defines struggling differently.

4500 pounds dry seems appropriate for most half tons with a V8 (or ecoboost) and the towing package. That's about 650 pounds of loaded TW leaving 750 pounds for family and a bed full of camping gear.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
Drew_K wrote:
Forget about the 9600 pound tow rating - almost meaningless. Have them check the payload capacity and check that against their estimated RV tongue weight and what they expect to carry in the vehicle.

I used to have an F150 with Ecoboost and towed 5k with it - no problem at all. If I went above 5K, I'd use a WDH. But again, check the payload numbers - that's the real limiting factor.

Great advice, thanks!
2008 Nissan Armada TV

Drew_K
Explorer
Explorer
Forget about the 9600 pound tow rating - almost meaningless. Have them check the payload capacity and check that against their estimated RV tongue weight and what they expect to carry in the vehicle.

I used to have an F150 with Ecoboost and towed 5k with it - no problem at all. If I went above 5K, I'd use a WDH. But again, check the payload numbers - that's the real limiting factor.
2013 F250 CC 4x4 Diesel
2014 Open Range Roamer Travel Trailer RT316RLS

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
They have experience with being underrated...they initially bought a heavy PUP to tow with their minivan, and it 'blew up' the engine, they don't want to be in the same boat again!
2008 Nissan Armada TV

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I think you would be ok with that. Just keep in mind, when they get ready to upgrade, the truck will probably need to get upgraded as well.

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
Old Days wrote:
The reason I say that, my TC loaded weighs about 1800 pounds and when I pull my 2000 pound boat my half ton truck struggles climbing the steep hills by my house. My next truck will be a GMC 2500.

I see. A TC is a little too much for any half-ton in my opinion. There's not enough payload capacity. My half-ton pulls my TT just fine and I travel with it in the 6200 pound range. I'v pulled some steep grades as well and kept my speed just fine.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
pappcam wrote:

A 6500 GVRW trailer is a good match for a half-ton unless the half-ton has no towing package or a standard V6.

x2
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II