cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carlisle or Maxxis

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Going to replace my tires soon but I am trying to decide between Carlisle Radial Trail HD or the Maxxis 8008. 205/75R15, both D1 load rating. The trailer is maybe 6800-7000 lbs. loaded so I figure I don't need E rated. There is only $11 per tire difference in price so that's not the issue, I just find very few current reviews on either tire to help me make a decision on this. Help me out here please??
42 REPLIES 42

Dave2001
Explorer
Explorer
I like Maxxis. They were on the fiver when I bought it and they towed great. When they needed replaced , I went with the same tire. Cost was very reasonable.
2005 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 32SKD
2001 Dodge 2500 Quad cab, 4x4, HO, 6spd, 4:10

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
n addition to introducing the new Endurance, Goodyear has unveiled a brand new, special trailer size: ST 255/85R16. The Endurance is the only tire on the market available in that size.

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/media/news/goodyear_launches_american_manufactured_trailer_tire...

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know about released to the general RV public, but they are being put on Jayco's now. Jayco has a page for each trailer where you can configure your trailer with what options you want and get a MSRP price for that trailer.

Goodyear USA tires are one of the "mandatory" options that's automatically checked. In other words, you can only get a Jayco trailer with the Goodyear USA Endurance tires on it.

time2roll wrote:

My contact says the Endurance has been released but I can't find much official info.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Put on Carlisle Radial Trail RH last year before heading from NJ to Yellowstone and back. Much better than the mix of old design Carlise, towmaster and some other one that I had. Time will tell, but so far I'm pleased. Plus I like that they are, as best as I know, an American company. I also like the speed rating of 81 on them. Many will say we don't go over 65. Hogwash. Almost everyone has speed creep up or passes a slower vehicle quickly now an then. As for me, it was comforting to have that rating traveling 73-74 for hours upon hours a day. Our time off work is limited and if we want our kids to see this great nation we have to put on the miles.

We each have our own position about these things. But you asked about the tires and those are my reasons for choosing the Carlisle Radial Trail RH. And my experience with almost 7k on them, looking new.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
downtheroad wrote:
time2roll wrote:

Goodyear will be replacing the Marathon line with a new ST called Endurance made in the USA.
Supposed to be a far better tire if you can hold on a bit longer.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Endurance

These new USA made Goodyears are looking promising. They also come with a higher speed rating than the basic ST tires.
I will consider them when I need new tires. I have had great service from Maxxis 8008's.

Rated 87 MPH according to Discount Tire

http://www.americastire.com/en/buy-tires/goodyear-endurance/p/32600

My contact says the Endurance has been released but I can't find much official info.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you people not understanding that even with Maxxis tires you have a 65 MPH max speed rating when loaded to the max load rating and max PSI inflation as stated on the tire's sidewalls? You are NOT to exceed either the tire's max load rating nor the tire's max inflation rating combination. Want to go over 65 MPH? Lessen the load on the tire and/or have more PSI inflation left that's unused. Do NOT exceed either rating specification! Simple as that and even Maxxis states it in writing as does some other tire manufacturers of ST trailer tires. There's nothing magic about Maxxis tires as they have the same governing criteria as other tire manufacturers they must adhere to.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
This from Maxxis about speed ratings found on another RV website;

forestriverforums.com

Old 07-12-2013, 06:49 AM #11
wmtire
Site Team

Here is a copy of the email I received yesterday from Maxxis, per my dealer request. (including original spelling)

Bobby,
The spped rating on for the Maxxis M8008 ST Radial is "Q", which is 99 MPH. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association the inflation pressures and load specifications in general for all ST Radial trailer tires, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. If the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
From 66 to 75 MPH โ€“ the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.
From 76 to 85 MPH โ€“ the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.
We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your email and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
The Maxxis Support Team.....

Now if a Maxxis ST tire is stamped as a 99 mph speed rating on the tires sidewall then it is what it is.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
My Maxxis tires are Q rated which is 99mph.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I`m on my second set of Carlisle Radial Trail RH LR "E" tires. I have not had an issue at all. they get replaced at the 5 year mark. my next set will be the HD version.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree. I would not tow over 65 even if my tires were rated to 81, etc. However, sometimes I get over 65 for any number of reasons, and I want the peace of mind that going over 65 for any distance will not hurt them.

RinconVTR wrote:
I've become a real fan boy of Carlisle Radial Trail RH...now out with HD series.

Maxxis makes a fine ST tire, but they still are not "up to speed" with the latest ST tire offerings out there. Meaning, they're still stuck on the 65mph rating.

While many do not tow at speeds over this, that's not at all the point. Personally I dont want any tire of mine limited like this if it doesnt have to be. Consumers should begin asking WHY is it still limited to 65.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
I've become a real fan boy of Carlisle Radial Trail RH...now out with HD series.

Maxxis makes a fine ST tire, but they still are not "up to speed" with the latest ST tire offerings out there. Meaning, they're still stuck on the 65mph rating.

While many do not tow at speeds over this, that's not at all the point. Personally I dont want any tire of mine limited like this if it doesnt have to be. Consumers should begin asking WHY is it still limited to 65.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Very happy with the Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Turn_Key
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Carlisle tires are readily available while Maxxis usually has to be ordered.
I would buy Carlisle from Discount Tire/Americas Tire because they have lots of stores and good service from my experience.

The new Goodyears are worth looking at. I ran Made in the USA Marathons years ago with zero problems.

If Discount Tires is selling Carlisle tires, this would be enough to give them a second look. Have purchased tires from Discount for some time now and have had nothing but great service from them.

Again, just my 2-cents. Happy Camping!
Turn Key and DW
Bentley, One Very Pushy Chiweenie
Sunshine, One Crazy Pug (I Guess They All Are!)
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS ("Sunday Haus III")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I full time and have been running Maxxis tires on my 14,000 pound fiver for 3 years now, running all around the country, with no problems. When the first Towmax blew I did the research and replaced all 4. I am happy with my choice.

I think the most important thing is to make sure the tires have the rated weight capacity for yout trailer - plus a safety level..