cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Check those lug nuts

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't checked those lug nuts on your trailer or motorhome lately, then better do it before that first spring trip.

I got my fifth wheel out of storage yesterday and parked it in front of my house to prepare for a trip leaving tomorrow. This morning, I noticed a lug nut in the street about 30 feet from the fiver. Who could that belong to? Well, it was mine!! One nut had dropped off right there in front of my house after a five mile trip from the storage site. Several other nuts were slightly loose and needed to be torqued.

I should check lugs before every trip, but I have to plead guilty.
19 REPLIES 19

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to call the storage yard so they can post a note for others to check theirs.Could of been a wheel theft interrupted or kids pulling pranks.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
VW_Factor wrote:
Sounds like that storage yard may not be very secure if people are messing with lugnuts.

They're not "messing with lug nuts" - they're *STEALING* wheels & tires!.:S

Probably got interrupted - or planned to come back & remove 'em later.

Had two tires & wheels stolen from a (my) TT in a storage yard.

BTW - always re-check torque after anyone does anything to wheels on your RV.

Also - the ERS or tire shop guy was probably working at Taco Bell last week.:W

~

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer

Another cheap alternative is nail polish!! Yes I have three girls, and ALLOT of nail polish,, just a swipe and I can to a pre trip walk around and see that the lugs are tight.....

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I put new tires on the MH and went to Florida for a week. When I got back home I noticed one lug nut missing off the right rear. I watched the tire technician install and torque each tire at the shop and still lost one. Better get a torque wrench and just keep it in my MH!!

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
mark5w wrote:
Check out this link: http://www.wheel-check.com/ This might be what your are looking for. :h And you can but them here: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?gclid=CIOMgv2m37YCFcdU4AodDFYAMQ&searchQuery=Loose... Sorry for the long site name.:o

That's them! You Rock!

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this link: http://www.wheel-check.com/ This might be what your are looking for. :h And you can but them here: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?gclid=CIOMgv2m37YCFcdU4AodDFYAMQ&searchQuery=Loose... Sorry for the long site name.:o
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody know where you can get those little pointy pointers that you put on your lug nuts so that you can easily watch and see if any are loosening?

Part of my problem is I am calling them 'pointy pointers'. I don't even know what they are called.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
Never hurts to check them. Some idiot around our home town was going around loosening lug nuts for a while a few years ago. The police were warning people to be on the lookout as these dumb asses had done it to about twenty cars at various locations over a few month period. Who in there right mind would consider this as funny. Makes you wonder.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
If you haven't checked those lug nuts on your trailer or motorhome lately, then better do it before that first spring trip.

I got my fifth wheel out of storage yesterday and parked it in front of my house to prepare for a trip leaving tomorrow. This morning, I noticed a lug nut in the street about 30 feet from the fiver. Who could that belong to? Well, it was mine!! One nut had dropped off right there in front of my house after a five mile trip from the storage site. Several other nuts were slightly loose and needed to be torqued.

I should check lugs before every trip, but I have to plead guilty.

When we bought out trailer, brand new in 2006, we drove it home about 30 miles. As this trailer is going to be our last, we wanted to do everything โ€œright.โ€

As soon as we got home, I got my brand new torque wrench out, took off the lug nut covers, and found on all four wheels; at least three of the five lug nuts were only hand tight!!!!

From that day forward we check the lug nuts as outlined in our manual, and yes we use a torque wrench.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

jtrent6415
Explorer
Explorer
I use a red paint pen after torquing the wheels and mark their position.

I am going to do this, good idea.
2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH
2005 Ford F-250 King Ranch (yes, the dreaded 6.0)
2004 Suburban 1500

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
I use a red paint pen after torquing the wheels and mark their position. I have white steel wheels so red is easy to see. I also do a hand tight check before each trip.. Seems to be working for me....

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
I don't check lug nuts on a regular basis, bit I never had a loose one when I did check
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

mrquacker
Explorer
Explorer
And don't forget your toad/daily drive/TV.

DW said the Jeep was handling poorly at slow speed. Went out and found one wheel only had two lug nuts. Studs were gone or broke.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
And check the nuts on your U bolts on your axles also. And just about every other bolt/nut/screw on the rig at the start of a new season.
Only 3 of my 32 lug nuts needed any tightening at all. And then less than 1/4 turn.
But over half of the nuts on my U bolts needed retorqueing.