cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevy Sonic RS, yes or no?

Kevin1956
Explorer
Explorer
I am about to take the plunge into dingy towing and have been looking seriously at a Chevy Sonic. In previous years (2017 and earlier) the Dingy Towing guides have said that the automatic RS models were not towable. Starting in 2018 there is now listed restriction on RS models. The 2019 owner's manual does not state a restriction either. If I am not mistaken, all the new Chevy Sonic Hatchback models offer only the turbo charged engine. Anybody know what changed in the 2018 model year that allowed the RS models to be towable? Anyone with experience towing an Sonic hatchback with an auto transmission?

2014 Itasca Impulse Silver Edition, 25QP
Looking to move up to a Class A soon.
7 REPLIES 7

Kevin1956
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. I specifically asked about the Sonic because we like the styling and how it drives. I was just confused by what the Towing Guides have said about it over the years. They used to say all automatic transmission models were towable following the reasonable procedures mentioned above. The 2017 and earlier towing guides affirmed this, but specifically excluded the "RS model". Now it seems that Chevrolet still includes "RS" badging for 2018 and 2019, but the Towing Guides not longer prohibit the RS models. The 2018 and 2019 owners manual implies that all Sonic models are towable (with the procedures and fuse removal mentioned above). There is no mention of the "RS" version of the car in the recreational towing section of the manual for 2018 and 2019. Seems like for 2018 and 2019 the "RS" designation doesn't mean the same thing it used to. I was just wondering what changes. It seems like nearly all the hatchback version of the car I have seen on line have the RS tag. If I buy and new one it seems like it doesn't matter if it is an RS model so I don't need to worry about it. Remco site says the same thing the Towing Guides do. Just wondering what changed. Thanks.

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy, You are correct. It is the Cobalt that has the same chassis. My mistake. Chuck

Y-Guy
Kevin, another good site beyond the owners manual is the Remco Towing Store thought currently I don't see the 2019 listed.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Y-Guy
chuckbear wrote:
I believe our 2010 HHR is the same chassis as the sonic and automatic. We have towed it for about 15,000 miles with no issues. Just flip the switch that is attached to the fuse panel, put the key in the on position, pump the brake pedal to release the pressure, put the transmission in neutral and go on our way. We love the car. Chuck

Chuck I don't think they share the same chassis, the Sonic is based on the GM Gamma II platform while the HHR was on the GM Delta platform and didn't share the same engine or transmission.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
I believe our 2010 HHR is the same chassis as the sonic and automatic. We have towed it for about 15,000 miles with no issues. Just flip the switch that is attached to the fuse panel, put the key in the on position, pump the brake pedal to release the pressure, put the transmission in neutral and go on our way. We love the car. Chuck

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why wouldn’t the sole determining factor on four down towing ability be GM? And I’d want a positive response, not “no mention you can’t.”
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I towed an automatic 2013 Hatchback Sonic but not an RS. Wonderful little car. Only needed to pull one fuse (which can be put on a switch), put it in Neutral, set the key, and tow away.

The only changes I see for 2018/2019 from my 2013 is the mention of keyless entry vehicles needing to have two additional fuses pulled/bypassed.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT