cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class B Motorhome Vibration While Driving

HarryB1
Explorer
Explorer
We're in the process of purchasing a 2004 Pleasure-Way Excel-TS Ford (class B+) with 73,000 miles on it through a consignment dealer. Because of insurance issues we did not take it for a test drive but did accompany the salesman as he drove it for a short distance.

The motorhome seemed to ride surprisingly rough. I was sitting in the back sofa so maybe it was worse, but my wife who was sitting in the front also felt the vibration. We've never had a motorhome, so have nothing with which to compare this experience.

The vibration seemed to appear suddenly as the speed increased and disappear instantly below a certain speed. I'm guessing that point to be about 25 mph.

The salesman claimed it was because the heavy duty tires (Michelin LT245/75R16) take some time to warm up after which the vibration would smooth out. The tires are two years old and show little tread wear although I did notice what appears to be some signs of dry rot on one tire which concerns me.

The motorhome will be going to a Ford dealer for a comprehensive inspection (at my expense), so if there is a problem with the drive train hopefully it will be uncovered during that inspection. The seller is responsible for paying for any repairs.

Is it true, as the salesman claims, that these types of heavy duty tires take some time to warm up after which the ride will smooth out? FWIW, we're in Florida and it was not cold that day.

Thank you,
Harry
16 REPLIES 16

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
salesman lied ,RUN AWAY. thats a bunch of bull stuff about the tires and I never heard of not being able to test drive a rv. this unit has major front end problems and its a money pit. RUN!!! RUN!!!> I have those same tires on my rv run smooth and handle great. your being lied too!!!!.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Salesman's explanation rings somewhat hollow, as they often do. To the best of my knowledge, Michelin doesn't use nylon in the cords of either the LTX or the Rib (their two most likely tires in load range E). Nylon used to be known for flatspotting. I've owned LTX's; didn't like them at all, but it was for poor handling on a class B, not flatspotting. Ribs are all steel, I'm pretty sure.

I'd suspect less-than-perfect balance, a bent rim, or a lot of other less likely culprits.

Considering some Ford E-350's very real reputation for poor drivability in B's and C's, I'd be _very_ hesitant about buying one I couldn't take for a proper test drive my-own-dang-self. Please, do yourself a favor. See the class B forum's FAQ section about the importance of test driving on a 4-lane with fast-passing big rigs, and the importance of checking tire pressures first.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')