cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CLASS C or MOTOR HOME

rooty
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a travel trailer 29ft. Sunline Solaris 286 which we have enjoyed for 7 yrs. We now want something new as we use our rv for 5 months every summer now.

Trying to decide on a Class c or Motor Home. Would like pros and cons.
Also we are considering gas over diesel. I have been told it is much more costly for maint. on a Motor Home than a class C.

We were going to get a fifth wheel but we would need a larger new truck as well as the firth wheel. Our car should be replaced so we figured rather than the purchase of a new truck, fifth wheel, and a car, it made more sense to purchase a car and class c or motor home. We are retired and only need 1 vehicle
15 REPLIES 15

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We almost bought an ACE either last year or the year before. The dealership only had one floor model and we finally decided that the floorplan was not good for us. A coworker ended up buying it, but traded it back in on a larger Class A a few months later because they take several of their grandkids with them and it just got too cramp for them. But I do like the newer floor plans of them.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Winnebagos' new smaller C units. They also make a "small" A gasser as well.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The nice thing about As is that they have a very large windshield, so it is fun to watch stuff go by. For a small "A" rig, I do like the Winnebago Via, especially because it can come with a driver's door. That way, if you do track diesel fuel in, it is only to the driver's seat.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We started with a Class A and then moved up to a C. (or over to a C LOL) because I didn't like the idea of not having a door on the drivers side, and because I always felt tippy in the A. BUT I have seen some awesome A's and they seem to have more room in them than the C.

eabc5454
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
You might want to look at the Thor A.C.E.. They have a few different floor models. They are a Class A, but have some features of a Class C with them (drop down bed). They are also priced in the Class C price point.

We took delivery of our ACE 30.1 on June 1, and have had it out almost every weekend, a week long trip and an 11 day trip so far. We have another 30 nights of camping planned before we stow it until March. We love it! Moving from a TT and truck to a MH was easy. It has made camping much more fun for us. We keep it loaded with everything, clothing included, except for perishible food. We pack a couple of cooler bags with perishibles, turn it on, and down the road we go!

I was intimidated about driving a class A, but it's far easier than towing. I've become quite adept at backing it in to camping spaces, even tight ones. We were at a state park, and I had an audience as I backed into a tight spot with a dogleg. Got it in on the first try, and the audience clapped! It's actually pretty easy - you have backup and side view cameras!

They just came out with the 30.2, which sacrifices some kitchen space and shower size for a set of bunk beds. Combined with the drop-down bed, queen bed, fold out couch and dinette bed you could sleep a bunch of people. Ours only has seatbelts for six, though!

We have had no major issues, just a couple of minor ones - the gray tank handle cracked, so I replaced it with a metal one - $5. We had to buy a stool for the commode area because it was too far off the floor for DW - $80. There was a small chip in the top of the pocket door - glued it down $0. We think that's pretty good!

We love ours, and hope our streak of warranty issues continues - we never had a warranty issue in our 2011 Keystone Bullet.

Thor also gives you a personal concierge who arranges for warranty service and helps if you're stuck on the road with a major issue - they will dispatch mobile repair service if it affects your ability to travel.

We looked at class Cs, and they are great, too. Driving them is easy, and they have all the amenities we needed. I've just read a lot of stories about leaks in the cab over part, and the ACE has everything we wanted.
2014 Thor Motor Coach ACE 30.1 (The Mothership)
2013 Honda CR-V (The Pod)

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
wbwood wrote:
RetSgt7114 wrote:
Class C's ARE motorhomes. You must mean a class C (van chassis) versus a class A (truck or bus chassis).

thank you for pointing that out to him. My feelings were getting hurt...lol
X-2, I thought my class c Was a MH
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

docj
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Class C before we went full-time and bought our Class A. In retrospect, if I had known how easy a Class A was to drive I would have bought a smaller one of those rather than the C. The A's have more storage and more open space inside than do the C's. What was really surprising was that the fuel economy on the Ford V-10 was hardly any better than I get in my DP with roughly twice the weight.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
My choice was driven more by practical considerations. TT or 5er vs. MH: I'm single. Its a lot easier to drive a toad up to the back of a MH than to back a tow vehicle up to the TT or 5er without a spotter. Class C vs. Class A: I already owned a storage building with (3) 12' x 12' doors. The 'C' fit through the doors.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Are you looking for something smaller to drive (Class C) or do you need the over the cab bed? Class C's are generally lower to the ground, so if you are having trouble with steps or think you will, then that is something to consider as well. As far as maintenance for a Class or even a gas powered Class A, they should be relatively the same. If you don't need the bed over the cab and don't have any physical problems, then I personally would consider the class A.

We went with the Class C right now because we still have a child that goes with us and the bed over the cab is great. Also, the price point is a lot better for us now that we can afford to have it at 44 and 45 yrs old. Rather than having to wait till we retire to get something. You might want to look at the Thor A.C.E.. They have a few different floor models. They are a Class A, but have some features of a Class C with them (drop down bed). They are also priced in the Class C price point.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
RetSgt7114 wrote:
Class C's ARE motorhomes. You must mean a class C (van chassis) versus a class A (truck or bus chassis).

thank you for pointing that out to him. My feelings were getting hurt...lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perhaps rent each one for a long weekend to get some actual use to help you decide which one will be right for you.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
After 3 years with our 22 TT, which we loved, we just switched to a 24' Class C which we love even more. Our goal was to take longer trips and eliminate my brides dread over having to pull the tailer some day should I become incapacitated. The 24 footer goes anywhere - any site, any road without complaint and is much simpler to operate than the truck/TT combo. The V-10 gives us nearly the same mileage as my 5.4L pulling the 5K# TT and with the 55 gallon tank we have twice the range.

We have a lot more storage and the amenities are even better. I think that Class A maintenance will be higher than a C but have never owned an A. Most A's are far larger than what we needed and consequently cost more and get worse mileage. A or C comes down to how you are going to use it most of the time. For us the C is just a better fit for a lot less money.

As always..... Opinions and YMMV. :C

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Most class C gassers will tow 5000 pounds max. If the car is heavier, look for a diesel pusher.

I'd say that because class Cs are not as in vogue, they are cheaper in general, but make SURE to check the cabover area for leak or rotted wood, or else one might just have a scrap heap on their hands.

Were I choosing either/or, it would be a tough decision, especially with the new Euro-style "C"s coming from Winnebago on the Dodge ProMaster chassis.

RetSgt7114
Explorer
Explorer
------------------------------------------------------------------
Gulfstream Yellowstone
USAF Veteran
US Army Veteran
Retired LEO 34 years