cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning top of slide at campground

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
My new tt has a slide and this is new for me. The dealer said it was important to clean the slide off before closing it at the campground. What are some easy ways that you clean your slide. I know I could pack a ladder and a broom but I would like to avoid dragging a ladder with me everytime I go camping.
28 REPLIES 28

the_vfox
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Get SLIDE TOPPERS.. And don't look back..
X-2

X3. I would not have a rig without them. They come in real handy when it snows :@
Fox and Angel, fuzz ball cat and crazy Yorkie :S
Don't call me on the weekend, Im out camping.:C
2001 Itasca Horizon DP 36LD 330 Cat and all the bells and whistles
Go Blue, US Air Force(retired)25 years ๐Ÿ™‚

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We spend months at a time camping at the beach, I took my toppers off on our previous rv and did not want them of our current one. Just too noisy in the wind for my liking. I guess I could have tied them down or placed something under them to stop the flapping but just as easy not to have them.

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
Well it looks like I will be bringing a ladder and broom or investing in a slide topper. Are slide toppers difficult to install?

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Get SLIDE TOPPERS.. And don't look back..
X-2
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of my DS's shimmy up the ladder on the back of our TT and sweep the slides off. If just me and DW then I have to shimmy up. We have remote control slides so I can sweep and bring them in at the same time.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
we have a ladder attached to the camper. hubby goes up and sweeps off the slides before retracting to leave.

just bring a ladder that gets you to the top of the slide and clean it...simple really but a smart move cause ya never know what is up there, til ya slide it in and might have some damage.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
No reason to, that's the beauty of the toppers: nothing to mess with, just bring in the slides. I wouldn't be without them. They do make camping under the trees a non-issue.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't dealt with slides before, how many people clean off their slide toppers before retracting the slide?

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

AdirondackJack
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
I use a cordless Black & Decker leaf blower, works really well.

X2 Blows all the leaves, twigs and pine needles off nicely. Does a nice job drying the truck and RV after washing as well.
Side note: The slide seals will also shrink less and not dry and crack if you do use a slide "dressing" at least once a year - looks sharper too.
2011 Excel 30RSO, 32', 3 slides, 4-Season 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty, 6.2L V8, 385hp

Exploring & writing about life along the Snowbird RV Routes

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
We already carried a broom for sweeping out the trailer from time to time. We also now carry a small step ladder. I can't see the top of the slide, but it allows me to push the broom up there and get everything off.

And you'd be amazed at how handy a step ladder can be! Once you bring one, you'll wonder why you didn't carry one sooner.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I ue a small lightweight step ladder and extendable pole with a large squeegee attached. Cleans off trash and water.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the luxury of a ladder mounted on the back of the 5er. I climb up there with a broom. I avoid parking under trees as much as possible. Pretty to look at, ugly to camp under.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just climb up on roof and sweep the 3 slide outs clean then GF retracts when done.

Short enough ladder to stow/carry would not allow me to reach top of slides.
I am not spending big bucks on a 'fancy folding' ladder like Little Giant and cheap ladders are not sturdy.
I'm not strapping a tall ladder to backside of RV

So it's a quick trip up the rigs ladder...sweep...back down.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Makita cordless blower. My TT has a OEM ladder on the rear, so I get up there and blow it off just before bringing the slide in. There is always debris from the trees and dust, none of which I want to slide into the trailer and then have it bounce off inside as we trundle down the road.

The sites at Forest Service campgrounds where we frequently camp are asphalt, so before I back the TT into the site, I blow all the debris off the campsite using my small but powerful Makita cordless blower.