Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

coating the roof

way-lou
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Every
We just bough a 1998 class c should I recoat the roof the roof look great now, there's so much talk about coating the roof I was just wondering what to do if anything
Thank You
Wayne
4 REPLIES 4

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems all of the manufacturers recommend keeping the roof membrane clean using mild soap and a soft brush, but no coatings are recommended. About 10 years ago, I had my rubber roof coated with a non-petroleum based rubber coating made for that purpose. The coach is now 20 years old and the roof is in great shape and has never leaked. So, I don't know if my preventive measure was significant in prolonging longevity or I'm just plain lucky.

I'm anticipating having the roof re-coated here in the near future just as a precautionary measure.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
IF it leaks then it may be worth putting a coating on. With proper care (which usually means doing as little as possible to it) they usually last 20 years or so.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Moved from Forum Technical Support

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 96 Southwind with the original roof. It's in great shape. I'll coat the roof at some point if I still have the same RV.
At this point it doesn't need coating.
Seal your seams or any questionable areas with Eternabond.
Dicor self leveling caulk also does a good job.