cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coleman lantern -- white gas?

Rock2
Explorer
Explorer
Soon I need to buy a container of white gas at Walmart. I haven't check price but in the past their price is crazy. Many moons ago I remember when i was a boy, Dad stopped by gas station to fill up white gas. Usually behind of station. Anyway now day you don't see that anymore. Is there any kind of gas which is same as white gas? What about denatured alcohol? Thank for your time!
56 REPLIES 56

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Dustytuu wrote:
Try a hardware store for kerosene. Isn't that same as white gas?

No.
I need some wild

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
Try a hardware store for kerosene. Isn't that same as white gas?
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

ams1130
Explorer
Explorer
msb1766 wrote:
Nothing sounds better than the hiss of a Colman Lantern.

Isn't that the truth.
Ford F150
2014 KZ Sportsmen S242SBH

peajay
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting.....while out on a run this morning I noticed the marquee at a neighborhood gas station states "Clear Unleaded Now Available". Wonder how that relates to "white" gas?

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
Rock2 wrote:

Im surprised still have gas gas in Mass? I asked a friend I know who involve in racing. He said he has not seen white gas for years. Doubt can find one in PA.

I meant camp stove gas. Is that the same as white gas? Sold in hardware stores, Wal-Mart, etc. Not gas stations.
David Kojen

Rock2
Explorer
Explorer
solismaris wrote:
Absolutely use ONLY white gas. NO unleaded. While it will work for a while, eventually the additives will gum up the works and ruin the lantern. While white gas can be left in for YEARS with no adverse effects.

White gas may be around $10/gal or more, but so what? You know how long that will last? Like forever!

And forget about D-cell -powered flashlight lanterns. That's not even close to the level of illumination of gas or propane-powered lanterns. Like 10% or less.

(Unless you plan to use your lantern inside. The CO will kill you, or you might set yourself on fire.)

Im surprised still have gas gas in Mass? I asked a friend I know who involve in racing. He said he has not seen white gas for years. Doubt can find one in PA.

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely use ONLY white gas. NO unleaded. While it will work for a while, eventually the additives will gum up the works and ruin the lantern. While white gas can be left in for YEARS with no adverse effects.

White gas may be around $10/gal or more, but so what? You know how long that will last? Like forever!

And forget about D-cell -powered flashlight lanterns. That's not even close to the level of illumination of gas or propane-powered lanterns. Like 10% or less.

(Unless you plan to use your lantern inside. The CO will kill you, or you might set yourself on fire.)
David Kojen

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.colemancanada.ca/product/classic-1-mantle-naphtha-lantern/3000001040#.VSfazvnF98E/

Clearly naphtha. That was the fule I recall using many years ago in a Coleman cook top. The lantern I have uses Coleman fuel (naptha). It is an antique and I just use it for memory lane trips. I also only use Coleman fuel.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

peajay
Explorer
Explorer
We have both gas and propane lanterns. The gas lanterns were the ones my family used when tent camping when I was growing up. I can't get them lit anymore so I bought a propane one to use until I can find someone to clean/repair the gas ones.
We also have a Gold 2-burner Coleman gas stove from my younger days and we use it every time we camp. We also use a small tabletop propane grill.
Yes, propane is much easier but I have such strong, wonderful memories with the gas items I can't bear to part with them. Makes me feel like I'm 8 years old again camping with my folks(who are now both deceased). The best times of my life were those summers!

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
PA12DRVR wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
pitch wrote:
Neither my coleman lanterns or my Coleman stove was designed to run on Coleman Fuel. There was no such thing in 1959 and 1961. They were designed to run on gasoline. It was sold as White Gas. Nowadays it is sold as unleaded.
That said I run mine on the naptha fuel sold as Coleman Liquid fuel.
I have used pump gas when I have run out,but the Naptha does not stink as bad.

I think your dates and a few other facts are a little off.

I've got an old Coleman fuel can on display at our summer place, the label says 1946.

White gas and modern 'unleaded gas' are nowhere near the same thing. White gas was sold in a time when lead was the ONLY additive in gasoline. Today, ethanol, anti-knock and cleansing chemicals, and a host of other additives are normal in gasoline. They're not good for a Coleman lantern, they're even worse for your eyes and lungs if you use them in an enclosed space.

From the same era...anyone remember Blazo fuel (Chevron Product)?

Sure do! In fact I have an old, empty Blazo can stuck back in the shed just for the heck of it.
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B

MrWizard
As kids we bought white gas at the local gas station, separate hand pump to the offside of the building
As stated white gas was straight from refining with no additives of any kind, unleaded is not the same , that is why new lanterns are listed as dual fuel, Coleman fuel is white gas,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

manualman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Campfire Time wrote:

No fuss? Hmm...

All I do is flip a switch. And why would I want to turn night into day and tick off all the neighboring campers? To each his own I guess.

LOL, it throttles. Bright is pretty much for night arrival / setup, not lounging around the fire. Us popup guys have lots to do on arrival and seeing helps. Virtually silent on low glow setting.

To each his own indeed. I have some nice LED bulbs at home, but every battery power LED I've ever seen has made nasty, unpleasant light.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
pitch wrote:
Neither my coleman lanterns or my Coleman stove was designed to run on Coleman Fuel. There was no such thing in 1959 and 1961. They were designed to run on gasoline. It was sold as White Gas. Nowadays it is sold as unleaded.
That said I run mine on the naptha fuel sold as Coleman Liquid fuel.
I have used pump gas when I have run out,but the Naptha does not stink as bad.

I think your dates and a few other facts are a little off.

I've got an old Coleman fuel can on display at our summer place, the label says 1946.

White gas and modern 'unleaded gas' are nowhere near the same thing. White gas was sold in a time when lead was the ONLY additive in gasoline. Today, ethanol, anti-knock and cleansing chemicals, and a host of other additives are normal in gasoline. They're not good for a Coleman lantern, they're even worse for your eyes and lungs if you use them in an enclosed space.

From the same era...anyone remember Blazo fuel (Chevron Product)?
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

MrWizard
back when i used a PUP
i used to carry a coleman lantern and stove
i would burn the lantern all night when camping in the mountains,
to help heat the "tent camper"
bare metal shelves for the mattress and canvas for the top, it got cold in there even in july, camping at Mt Lassen, Yosemite , or Sequoia
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s