cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Commercial RV insurance: MBA vs Triad vs Any others?

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to be renting out my Class C RV. Let's please not make this a thread about the pros and cons of renting out your RV. My specific question is regarding appropriate insurance for the RV when renting it out. My understanding is that all regular (personal use) RV insurance policies specifically do NOT cover the RV if you rent it out.

I have found very limited options. MBA Insurance, and Triad.
Does anyone have any opinions about these two companies and the insurance they provide?

Does anyone know of any other insurance companies who will write a policy that covers owners who are renting out their RV?

Thanks!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs
2 REPLIES 2

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen that as an option, but if I do that then *I* essentially don't have any insurance covering me and the RV when it is rented out. If the renter gets into an accident that is their fault and for some reason the peer-to-peer online website insurance doesn't cover it, the other party will no doubt come after me. That's why I think it is essential for me to also have a commercial policy that allows me to rent it out and covers me.

My plan is the following...
- Have my own commercial RV insurance policy (protects me, and it also covers the renter a little bit)
- Ask renters to add the RV rental onto their auto policy (a binder) if their insurance provider allows (that would seem to cover them pretty good). Many auto insurance providers will do this for free as a courtesy for their customers.
- If they cannot add it onto their auto policy, I will likely have them book it through one of the peer-to-peer sites to at least give them some coverage in the event of an accident.

Sound like a reasonable plan?

I'm still trying to find the best commercial RV policy and MBA and Triad are the only two I have been able to find. Anyone have any experience with either?

-Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the rental websites have insurance policies for the folks who list their RVs for rent on the site.