cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Concealed Carry Permit for SD Nomads?

mileena
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to become a full-timer in a few years and domicile in SD. Has anyone had any problem getting a concealed carry permit in SD? It has or will shortly have reciprocity with 30-36 other states, depending on the permit you get. For other states, I will apply for non-resident permits there or just keep my gun locked in a case and unloaded.

Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
mileena wrote:

Wow, what a quagmire. So if you are a SD resident for one day, you cannot get a CCW permit, but at the same time, they will not honor out-of-state permits in SD.

I wonder if they will grant you other state privileges, like handicapped license plates, voting, and Medicare Part D.

We have different opinions, I don't see it as a quagmire at all. seems perfectly reasonable & simple. I've been through the process twice and it never raised my blood pressure. If you want to call SD your home state, then spending 30 days there is not unreasonable.

Yes, SD will grant you all your due privileges. But just getting a DL does not automatically get you all the other state privileges in any state, without jumping through a few more hoops. Just like any other state and any privilege, there are different requirements for each. 30 days for a ccw seems perfectly reasonable to me, and there is no class required, unless you want the new "enhanced" permit option.
By the way its 90 days for a fishing or hunting license.
Its 12 months in the state to qualify for in-state tuition.
Handicapped plates require a physicians certification
etc etc
Jim

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
JimBollman wrote:
Using an App called CCW on my smart phone it looks like SD has two different resident permits, the standard one is good for 31 states, the enhanced permit is good for 37 states. Not sure what the difference is. You probably have other reasons for making SD your mailing address but the TN resident permit is good in 40 states.

ND is similiar. The one for more states has more qualifications to get it, so that it meets the requirements of the stricter states. It does require qualification shooting.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Using an App called CCW on my smart phone it looks like SD has two different resident permits, the standard one is good for 31 states, the enhanced permit is good for 37 states. Not sure what the difference is. You probably have other reasons for making SD your mailing address but the TN resident permit is good in 40 states.

mileena
Explorer
Explorer
jrp wrote:
mileena wrote:
I plan to become a full-timer in a few years and domicile in SD. Has anyone had any problem getting a concealed carry permit in SD? ....
Thanks!

I didn't have any trouble obtaining my SD permit or renewing it after 5 yrs. Each local county sheriff may make getting through the process a bit easier or harder, but the requirements are the same statewide.

Yes, several years back SD changed the state law to require evidence that you were physically present in your local county for at least 30 days to qualify for a CCW and to renew. Has nothing to do with SD residency or DL requirements, its just an added requirement for CCW, regardless of your county. The state lawmakers decided they didn't mind issuing a DL to those who only spend one night in SD, but they wanted 30 days for a ccw. My RV park receipt and some fuel & restaurant receipts were more than acceptable.

The problem I and others have run into, is that some of the SD gun shops (large brand stores) refuse to sell handguns to those with a PMB address. (You can only buy handguns in your home state or through a FFL in your home state)
They blame refusing PMB addresses on ATF rules, but I spoke to the regional ATF supervisor and he said no such rule about specific types of addresses exists, but each licensed dealer is allowed to decide if a buyer meets the requirements. I eventually found a SD mom & pop gun shop happy to accept my SD DL with a PMB address and sold me the handgun I wanted.

You should be aware that they also changed the SD law to clarify, once you become a SD resident, any CCW (resident or non-resident) issued by a different state, is invalid within SD for a SD resident. So once you establish SD residency/domicile you can't carry concealed on your person, within SD without a SD permit. Reciprocity is granted to non-residents visiting the state, but not to "residents" who may have permits from other states. nothing to do with what other states may accept, this is just within SD

Wow, what a quagmire. So if you are a SD resident for one day, you cannot get a CCW permit, but at the same time, they will not honor out-of-state permits in SD.

I wonder if they will grant you other state privileges, like handicapped license plates, voting, and Medicare Part D.

mileena
Explorer
Explorer
jnharley wrote:
If you are going to buy property then you may not have any issue but most full timers use a mail forwarding service and have a PMB (Postal Mail Box) and government entities know what PMB means. SD is a lovely state so just plan to stay the required time to obtain your permit.

Thanks! But if I boondock for 30 days, how will I have proof for the Sheriff?

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
Almost Heaven West Virginia. Concealed or open carry. No permit Strap it on.

As it should be!!!
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
mileena wrote:
I plan to become a full-timer in a few years and domicile in SD. Has anyone had any problem getting a concealed carry permit in SD? ....
Thanks!

I didn't have any trouble obtaining my SD permit or renewing it after 5 yrs. Each local county sheriff may make getting through the process a bit easier or harder, but the requirements are the same statewide.

Yes, several years back SD changed the state law to require evidence that you were physically present in your local county for at least 30 days to qualify for a CCW and to renew. Has nothing to do with SD residency or DL requirements, its just an added requirement for CCW, regardless of your county. The state lawmakers decided they didn't mind issuing a DL to those who only spend one night in SD, but they wanted 30 days for a ccw. My RV park receipt and some fuel & restaurant receipts were more than acceptable.

The problem I and others have run into, is that some of the SD gun shops (large brand stores) refuse to sell handguns to those with a PMB address. (You can only buy handguns in your home state or through a FFL in your home state)
They blame refusing PMB addresses on ATF rules, but I spoke to the regional ATF supervisor and he said no such rule about specific types of addresses exists, but each licensed dealer is allowed to decide if a buyer meets the requirements. I eventually found a SD mom & pop gun shop happy to accept my SD DL with a PMB address and sold me the handgun I wanted.

You should be aware that they also changed the SD law to clarify, once you become a SD resident, any CCW (resident or non-resident) issued by a different state, is invalid within SD for a SD resident. So once you establish SD residency/domicile you can't carry concealed on your person, within SD without a SD permit. Reciprocity is granted to non-residents visiting the state, but not to "residents" who may have permits from other states. nothing to do with what other states may accept, this is just within SD
Jim

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Almost Heaven West Virginia. Concealed or open carry. No permit Strap it on.
Dennis Hoppert

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
mileena,
NO! You only need to show one day of residence to get a drivers license.
I flew into the nearest airport, drove a couple of hours to Emery, SD where I have my mail forward service. After one night in a hotel, I went to the Driver License office with my hotel receipt and had a new Drivers License in less than an hour. I drove back to the airport and caught an afternoon flight home. However, while there I talked with the county sheriff about a permit and his measure was '30 days with proof' to be considered a resident for a CCP.

However, since it is the county sheriff that must approve the permit, other counties may be different - but I don't think so as they all share information.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lol. Guess I'll be the first to say that if you carry unloaded and locked in a case then you may as well just replace your hand gun with baseball size rock since the gun at that point is really just a paperweight! Prolly do more damage to an intruder throwing the rock at him than the gun case!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
Hnadgunlaw.us is a good site and as they state, always check with the state's official site, which they link to. Some states like Colorado will only recognize permits from the state you live in. Others like where I live(New Mexico) will only recognize states that have the same or stricter training requirements.

The site also tells of the laws regarding transport of firearms through states.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent question. I would contact whichever mail service you intend to use and ask them. I'd bet they have run into it before and have the information.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to buy property then you may not have any issue but most full timers use a mail forwarding service and have a PMB (Postal Mail Box) and government entities know what PMB means. SD is a lovely state so just plan to stay the required time to obtain your permit.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

leaddog
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the rules on this site. As I understand it you must be physically located in SD for 30 days and have proof you were there such as a campground receipt, hotel receipt, etc.

SD rules for obtaining a concealed carry permit for residents of the state.
2008 40ft Tiffin Allegro Bus
2014 Honda CR-V AWD