cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

? Concrete Pad Question

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
How thick a concrete floor/pad is needed to park a 14K 5er?
Not looking to get into arguing over whatever the detailed engineering specifics are. Just want a general idea how much concrete I'll be buying if I decide to concrete the barn floor.
44 REPLIES 44

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
monkeygirl wrote:
I am a concrete guy of 30 plus years... make sure it is straight cement content. NO FLY ASH ...
Really, no Flyash? Maybe you can tell me why that is seeing that every professional organization such as ACI, ASCE, FHA, ACPA, all recommend a minimum of 15% flyash and preferably 25%. And before you comment, maybe you should look up ASR (Alkali-Silica Reactivity). And we won't even talk about GGBFS which is also used at up to 40% cement replacement.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
8 inches down the center drive on area 6 on non weight area

For a RV???

Thats what I was thinking. I have had two RV pads on two different homes here in Utah, so there is the freezing issue. Both pads were poured with 6 bag , and the standard 2x4 forming.

The first one in the late seventies did get some cracks, but held up well otherwise. The problem back then it seemed we just poured , with not enough expansion . My first one was 15 feet wide one expansion joint down the center, okay there ,but it was like around 50 feet long, with expansion joints around every 12 feet. Not enough, it has to expand.

My present RV pad is 80 feet from street to back of the house . Only 11 feet wide , expansion up the center ,and every 6 feet or so the length of it. So 5*1/2 x 6 foot sections. No cracks, other then where it cracked in the expansions. going on 18 years ,looks as good as it did new. Has had a 38' foot fifth wheel on it for the past 10 years. To add this driveway ,and RV pad was poured with fiber mess. No rebar.

jackbuck
Explorer
Explorer
6 inches and one half rebar 2 foot on center and 3500 pound concrete
jackbuck ,2016 Arctic Fox 29-5-k ,2004 chev 3500 crew with 8100gas,Virginia.One great wife two trailor dogs,9 boys and 2 of the other kind.,all on their own, empty nest. its hard to see the picture when you are inside the frame.

monkeygirl
Explorer
Explorer
I am a concrete guy of 30 plus years,I just put in my driveway 5" concrete.004 mesh, sawcut joints on 10'squares. wait 2- weeks to drive on. use a cure & seal spray on. 4000psi concrete with air. make sure it is straight cement content. NO FLY ASH after 28 days caulk all the joints, you can buy backer rod & caulk at home depot calculating concrete length x width x .42 divide x 27 that's for 5" driveway I have a class A 41' not 1 crack. did it last spring

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I was told: 28 days to cure 98% and 28 years for the 2%. BTW, the drier your mix is, the stronger it will be.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a few things which I'd trust to professionals. Pouring concrete is something I'd do pretty much once, so I want to make sure the job is done right.

If I had to do it myself (since Harvey has gotten every single handiman out of the woodwork and building in Houston), I would be getting people who know something about concrete, getting some equipment to compact the soil, get the forms in place, make sure there is enough rebar present, pour ten inches (RVs are heavy), make sure the concrete is wet so it cures at max strength, and wait at least seven days, ideally 14 before my stuff goes on it.

I mention 8-10 inches because RVs are heavy relative to other vehicles, especially if someone also has a truck on the slab as well.

There are other issues as well. Drainage comes to mind.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dcmac214 wrote:
Got what I need for now -- Thanks all!

No sharing???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
newman fulltimer wrote:
8 inches down the center drive on area 6 on non weight area

For a RV???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
Since your question is parking then you only need two strips or pads under the tires. Pads under the landing jacks would also be nice.

However, a driveway is a separate topic with more opinions. Especially if the trailer has to make any turns on its way to its parking spot. Multiple axle trailer tires will scuff during turns so gravel/grass would need periodic repairs.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog, Glad you are not doing my driveway. No way I would spend that kind of money and then park a 14K fiver on it after 5 days. Which means you are probably also parking a 6k lb truck on it at the same time, at least temporarily.

OP , Before you park on new concrete do a google search for how long it REALLY takes concrete to cure, and recommendations for cure before driving something heavy on it.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
ANother thread of the week beginning!
TO ANSWER the OPs question. 4-6” thick
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can park your 14K 5er on it five days after pouring.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

westend
Explorer
Explorer
3-Be sure you have proper expansion joints / breaks ever so often to control where it cracks. Most all concrete will crack over time, you want it to crack in the joints not random
True. I learned a long time ago that there is one guarantee with concrete, it is guaranteed to crack.

FWIW, I have the best luck with flat work using 1/2" rebar, 5000 lb rated mix, and fiber added to the mix. This would be for residential driveways and aprons. If an owner is driving a large truck or parking big weight on the slab, I will add in page wire and place a 6" slab.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Got what I need for now -- Thanks all!

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
1995brave wrote:
As you can see you just received 5 different answers. The only correct answer will be what the local building codes state for driveways. It all depends on soil, frost line, etc.

^^^^^ This one is the best answer -

A simple phone call or walk-in to your building or zoning department will give general info based on soil conditions where you live ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic