cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Connections, dumping, and disabilities

SheDrives
Explorer
Explorer
I've read through lots of posts having to do with modifications to RVs to provide access for those with a disability, but no one has discussed the issues that concern us. Hubby is a hemi-plegic (paralyzed on one side) with no use of his arm or hand on the paralyzed side. We are buying a travel trailer and have been narrowing the list to those where he can safely get in and out and where the bathroom and sleeping areas are suitable. (You wouldn't believe how MANY trailers we've had to rule out!)

What I haven't seen discussed anywhere is how to handle the connections at the site and at a dumping station. While I certainly can take care of these chores, Hubby will want to be as independent as possible. Are there any gadgets (modifications, tricks) which can make it easier to perform these tasks?

Thanks in advance,
Elsi
11 REPLIES 11

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I was faced with a similar problem. My '95 Roadtrek has a unique sewer system where thee connection came past the RV when in use. I could not get to the valves without getting on the ground at the dump station. In addition to laying there U had a problem getting up. Holland Motor installed a macerator and a couple of cable valves with the switch and valve handles in the compartment with the electric cord. I just dumped yesterday in about 5 minutes and all while sitting on my walker.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
> You wouldn't believe how MANY trailers we've had to rule out!

I would! I have limited mobility and it took me WEEKS of looking at used RVs 3-4 days per week to find one that I could use.

I don't know if this will help you and your DH, but my plans are:

- don't bother with hookups for short stays, which will be most of our RVing. That is feasible for us because we typically don't need AC at night in Wyoming and we don't expect to be RVing when we reach the point that we need heat. We simply will avoid campgrounds that don't allow genset use during the day.

- Do our emptying/filling at home. That way I can leave hoses in place as long as I want.

- Bring my rollator to the connection area. I have very little stamina and this way, whenever I run out of energy, I can sit down until I recover. If it takes me 20 minutes to get things hooked up, who cares?

- If we have to use a public fill/dump station, DH will simply have to do it because it would take me too long.
1988 Winnebago Superchief 27'

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Here are two other items to assist with dumping that have helped me since I don't have the grasp strength that I used to...plus the fittings are large and often very tight.

Sewer Cap Wrench

Sewer Fitting Wrench

This helps remove the sewer cap from the pipe.
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
although I have use of both hands, I don't have the hand strength I sometimes need. simple change for sewer was this cap.. been fighting my connections for years and just found out this simple help was availableEasy Sewer Cap is cheap help.

Nice find, thanks for sharing!

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
although I have use of both hands, I don't have the hand strength I sometimes need. simple change for sewer was this cap.. been fighting my connections for years and just found out this simple help was availableEasy Sewer Cap is cheap help.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I found it much nicer/easier/cleaner/etc. to use a macerator pump when I got rid of my stinky slinky.
bumpy

^^THIS^^

A "stinky garden hose" would be much easier to handle, both weight and cumbersome wise. Would be pretty forgiving on location and distance of RV discharge and sewage dump spot.

Some obvious things remain, such as connecting hose, opening dump cap, etc, but likely similar to other tasks you've been challenged with working out ๐Ÿ˜‰

Of course, they have remote dump buttons for electric valves, too, to eliminate reaching and handling those. Surely you could add a "control panel" wherever you wanted for those ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good luck working it out! Being in a campsite when you are physically unable to do things can be quite pleasant, even though challenging. Sure beats sitting in a house somewhere, staring at walls!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I found it much nicer/easier/cleaner/etc. to use a macerator pump when I got rid of my stinky slinky.
bumpy

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
As to the unit I'm not sure what you are looking for as far as accessibility. As an example of what can be done, look at the forest River Outback 240URS
Front loading entry ramp, bunk right there and the bath should be able to have the door opened slightly to allow easy access.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
A friendly neighbor if asked is always ready to help.

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
DW is both a quadriplegic (post-polio) and a retired vocational rehabilitation counselor, so we've got a number of handy items to make hookups easier (not that kind, the ones at the campsite) ๐Ÿ˜‰

For water hoses, we attach a Y valve with dual shut-offs at the spigot. One side of the Y has the regulator with a brass quick disconnect on its output; the other has a vacuum breaker valve (AKA backflow preventer) to connect to a flush hose or wash hose.

Then, each of our white water hoses have the appropriate quick disconnects (which can be connected together for storage). The in-line water filter has the quick disconnects, which then feed a quick disconnect on a 90ยฐ elbow -- the only other one that actually has to be screwed in.

For the power cords, we use Plug Dogs on our male AC plugs to ease the pulling to separate them, and Coil-n-Wrap to keep the cords coiled.

To do the dirty dumps, you can either buy a "blue boy" rolling tank or bring your TT to the dump station. For a small-medium sized TT, I'd drive it over and use a high quality hose system (Camco Rhino, Thetford Titan or SmartDrain). For a larger TT, you might consider using a portable macerator pump (Flo-Jet, Thetford Sani-con tank buddy) to reduce the diameter of the hose to about 1".

Any other questions, feel free to PM us.
Good luck and enjoy the open road!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd suggest that you use the onboard fresh water tank. Its much easier on most RVs to fill that tank than connect and unconnect to city water. Electric shouldn't be difficult. Twisting the sewer hose off and on will be the issue I believe. Mine's tight!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad