cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Could I use a jack caster wheel to solve this problem?

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
I park my camper, 3700 pounds in my driveway which has a slight incline, about 10 degrees. I can pull it out with my truck but not if my truck is loaded. The trailer drags on the ground when I reach the highest point where the street levels off. So I have to pull the trailer out, park it on the street then fill my truck and then go back to pulling the trailer.

Could I use a jack caster wheel to solve this problem, or will the wheel break?

Thank you
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Wolfgang Riebe
20 REPLIES 20

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
What is dragging? Is it the tail of the trailer? Is it the hitch?

Itโ€™s the hitch so I think I will try the draw bar as suggested by wnjj and let all know how it went.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Wolfgang Riebe

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Air bags. Air them up and drive out, then dump the most of the air out to bring the truck back to level.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
While maybe not any more convenient than loading your truck in the street, you could use a ball with a riser just to get it out to the street, then swap stingers for the trip.

That is a great idea, Thanks

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
While maybe not any more convenient than loading your truck in the street, you could use a ball with a riser just to get it out to the street, then swap stingers for the trip.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you tried laying boards in gutter area to 'level out' the dip/transition between street and driveway
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is dragging? Is it the tail of the trailer? Is it the hitch?

Either way, I think adding a wheel is going to make the problem worse. The problem is that the wheel, itself, lowers the contact point at least another 2 inches, increasing the pressure on the system.

If the problem is that the contact point is in a depression, you can lay a pair of long boards across the depression to make it more level while pulling out. If the problem is that the contact point is a high point, you are pretty much stuck with what you are doing now.

Another route may be to add air bags to the truck that you can inflate/deflate from the driver's seat. Inflate them when pulling out to raise the rear of the truck, then deflate them when out of the driveway for normal towing.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB