cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could use some generator help

scdiver
Explorer
Explorer
My son has a Onan 4.0 model bge-1r on his 1985 class c that is not working correctly. New carb, points, coil and main bd. Engine runs strong and steady. Power at start up is about 90 volts 6 hertz. As it warms up the volt picks up to 118 volts. When a load is added the voltage drops but the engine does not speed up to cover the load. I'm thinking that the governor is not working.

I know nothing about generators so I'm wondering if any one can give me some pointers or some thing to look at first? Or maybe a link to a repair manual.

Thanks
Steven
1996 Rexhall Airbus
1925 Ford Model T Touring
9 REPLIES 9

scdiver
Explorer
Explorer
On my 1995 Generac when I turn on an air conditioner the generator has to dig in to stay running. There is definitely a throttle increase. On my son's Onan when the air conditioner is turned on the generator stops. This has led me to think it's the governor.
1996 Rexhall Airbus

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The engine is not operating at the correct speed to maintain voltage and frequency.
That is if the OP's frequency is a typo. If it is not a typo then the voltage regulator is suspect.
I replaced mine with one from Flight systems

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
The throttle linkages may need a little WD-40. Good luck.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
An ideal generator of the common generator type the motor will run at a constant speed, 3600 RPM, 2400 RPM and 1200 RPM are common engine speeds, (others are possible) but it should be locked on that speed and never change Oh they do, but they should not.

Sound will change, becoming deeper and throater as load increases, but speed should NEVER change on a traditional generator.

(A sudden change in load may make it surge or dip but it should quickly return to 3600 or something that relates to it (2400, 1200 and such)

INVERTER generators like the famous Honda EU-#000i series, those the engine changes speed with load, But not the traditional generator.

As others have said, though... you do have a problem, i am guessing the voltage regulator BUT I STRESS THE WORD GUESSING!!!
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
does the engine slow down a little
or Hold steady
if the engine slows down, then it could be a Governor issue
IF the speed holds even .while the voltage drops, then it is in the voltage regulator section of the control board
and it likely needs a new control board

the governor is mechanical and unless the linkage is sticky, very little goes wrong, unless a spring breaks in the linkage.. which often results in Hunting aka speed variation

control board failure happens more than governor failure
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
you will find some troubleshooting guides at
http://www.flightsystems.com/troubleshooting/
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

scdiver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys
1996 Rexhall Airbus

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assume that's a typo for 60 Hz (rather than 6 Hz) at startup.

The governor should keep the engine speed pretty much steady, not varying greatly with load. Generator frequency, assuming it's not an inverter generator (which most or all RV generators are not), is directly tied to the engine speed; if it's 60 Hz ± a bit, the governor is operating properly.

This sounds to me more like a failure in the voltage regulation system. The "Tech Issues" forum is where you'll most likely find generator experts here; maybe some kind moderator can move this thread over there.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Voltage and frequency is adjusted by engine speed in some older units. Should be near 130 volts and 60-62 on frequency.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker