cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

crimping battery lug

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, this is on my boat but very well could be an RV question so I hope it is appropriate.

While replacing a pump I noticed one of the positive battery cables going into the battery selector switch appears loose in the lug.

Problem is there is very little room to work and removing the entire cable is a lot of work.

Trying to figure out what hand tool I could use to press the lug back on the cable tightly.

I looked online and see people using a hammer and screwdriver and some sort of press. I don't have a crimping press and not sure it would fir in the small area I am working. I have a hammer and screwdriver but not very helpful where I'm working either.

Any ideas?
25 REPLIES 25

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
I have been building battery cables for decades using solder. You only need a handheld propane torch to accomplish the task. Auto parts stores even sell lugs that contain the solder or have a solder puck. Lots of videos on this.
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
You can buy another cable with double lugs for about $10 on Amazon. How hard can it be to take the nut off the battery and the nut off the back of the perko switch?

We don't know how the cable is routed, wanna replace the cable on my Ford pickup for ten bucks?

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I was able to use a c clamp and a piece of metal. Did a pretty fair job. Better than the one I removed anyway. Think I will order a replacement wire to make a permanent replacement at a later date.

Lynnmor you are right. Running new wire will be no fun. Old boat with poor access holes. $10 purchase is the easy part.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Had a long response but site crash...
There are many set screw type connectors you can use. Or just ghetto crimp it with some channel locks, or solder a new end on with a butane torch or propane torch on low, if you have the clearance for an open flame.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
You can buy another cable with double lugs for about $10 on Amazon. How hard can it be to take the nut off the battery and the nut off the back of the perko switch?

We don't know how the cable is routed, wanna replace the cable on my Ford pickup for ten bucks?

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've used a hammer crimper in some spots that were too tight to swing a hammer. Instead, I used the crimper with a heavy duty c-clamp.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
byronlj wrote:
Take the lug off, clean it, and solder it back on using flux.

Sounds easy.. But do you have any idea how big a soldering iron you need to handle Battery cable (4ga or bigger) wire.

A welding torch would be my first choice.. Though I might do it with a good propane torch.

The crimping tool someone up-thread suggested.. From the photos it looks like it does a very professional job. Some of those hand tools I use (on smaller wires) the crimp looks to my practiced eye to be better than some factory crimps.

That is one of 'em.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
Take the lug off, clean it, and solder it back on using flux.
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What material is the lug made of?
What style of terminals on the battery?
It could be possible to replace with bronze set screw type terminal.
Bronze set screw connectors

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Heavy Duty Crimping Tool
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP