Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

critters getting into generator

aeriel2012
Explorer
Explorer
Just had my MicroLite 4K rebuilt. Started having problems a while ago
with my 96 Mirada Coachman generator. Finally took it to generator repair.
Critters had gotten into the inside of the generator and caused havoc.
The debris and everything else destroyed the generator.

My question: How do you keep critters out?

PS: Live in a very wooded area

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

conceptumator
Explorer
Explorer
We use mothballs under the hood, etc. My wife got some metal tea strainers that snap closed; filled yh withothballs and hung them under the hood. Works great.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
aeriel2012 wrote:
Just had my MicroLite 4K rebuilt. Started having problems a while ago
with my 96 Mirada Coachman generator. Finally took it to generator repair.

Critters had gotten into the inside of the generator and caused havoc.

The debris and everything else destroyed the generator. My question: How do you keep critters out?PS: Live in a very wooded areThanks

X2

I'll just add that I had to pay for an emergency RV mobile Repair call for my generator to find out this........
Corn packed in the generator by mice preventing it from starting.:R

Here is how much corn they found I think in the carb and filters.

In answer to your question the next winter I wrapped my entire generator up in a silver reflective heavy tarp. Outside field mice are opportunists if there is an small opening they feel the need to go in. Cover the openings is the way to go.

They never got into my gen again after I started covering it.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Mr-MrsPete
Explorer
Explorer
Dryer sheets work really well also. Place them in and around your camper. No horrid smells and no pesky pests either.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Would a bright light (a USB powered 340 lumen LED light, for example) placed under the hood drive them away?

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use peppermint oil and Fresh Cab to keep rodents out of my trailer. I put the oil on a cotton ball and place it in a plastic cup, just to keep it neat. Lat winter I had trouble with red squirrels getting into the heater of my truck and then dying. Heard it happened to many here in Mich due to the cold cold winter. Mechanics told me they have seen a bunch of it this last winter and never sawmuch of it before this last winter.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
Moved from Forum Technical Support

Why ? Until we identify the critters, we don't know if their technical or not. ๐Ÿ˜›
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
What type of critters are we talking about???? I know some people on here are going to laugh at me, but I put a box of IRISH SOAP in every bay plus in the Genny bay. I HAVE no critters
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ