cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cruise control or not

Goodpete
Explorer
Explorer
I am fairly new to towing and I just thought about using cruise control when towing. I have taken several trips in the last year and realize that I have never used it while towing. Do you use it? Are there any concerns when doing so, other than the obvious?
36 REPLIES 36

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use it as much as I can, it makes for a much easier trip IMO.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
kaydeejay wrote:
Sure do, as much as possible.
I have to believe if the Manufacturer did not want us to use it when towing, they would deactivate cruise control when Tow/Haul is selected.
To the best of my knowledge no-one does that.

X-2
The only time I DO NOT USE CRUISE is on rainy or slick road. I just completed a 2100+ mile drive and was on Tow/Haul and cruise the entire time, except for heavy traffic and slick/rainy road. I probably could get better mileage using the foot throttle, but at what cost. I still can react to traffic situations just as quickly when necessary while on cruise. My Duramax is equipped with a turbo brake and I was able to experience it in action when the vehicle in front of me reduced speed drastically for a deer.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Two things I use all the time are Tow/Haul and cruise.

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
The last three Tow vehicles I have owned I did not use the cruise at all, unless on long stretches of flat land. My experience is that the cruise will cause the tranny to downshift much more and accelerate more harshly to maintain speed than I will on my own. I average about 1 to 1 1/2 mpg less when using the cruise control. That said, it is much more relaxing to have both feet on the floor.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Dfresh
Explorer
Explorer
I use the cruise as much as I can. Sure helps with the fuel mileage.

Gsturner
Explorer
Explorer
Use it on flatland and without a serious headwind. Hills or stupid headwind will cause way premature downshifts.
SKP 115048
2016 Winnebago View 24M
2015 Harley Heritage Softail as toad
Retired:
2007 Titan LE with the Big Tow Package
2010 Rockwood 8315BSS
2008 Suzuki GZ 250-Response to 3/4 Life Crisis :C

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Sure do, as much as possible.
I have to believe if the Manufacturer did not want us to use it when towing, they would deactivate cruise control when Tow/Haul is selected.
To the best of my knowledge no-one does that.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Goodpete
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, consensus is, use it on long mostly level roads and no on the bigger hills. Makes sense. I appreciate the comments

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. Most of our towing is in the hills but while towing I want to be ready for any and everything, which includes my foot on the gas and ready for the brake.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Use cruise a LOT, the sooner I can get up to speed and set the cruise the better. If I can find a semi that's doing the same speed, and also has cruise so much the better.

I don't use the cruise on hills that require any kind of down shift, or down grades that require additional braking. Any I don't use cruise in congested areas.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Flat to gently rolling terrain and long trips I use it often.
If I am approaching a hill that I think will cause a donwshift I will press the throttle (while still in cruise) as I approach the hill and ease off as I start up the hill. Usually keeps it in overdrive rather than downshifting.

+1

Bigger hills, I don't use it, just because it would chew up so much fuel. Better to plan ahead. Plus going down some hills, it jumps to a higher gear to slow, sometimes too quickly for my liking.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I get better mileage not using it on my SuperDuty
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

DavisK
Explorer
Explorer
I use mine as much as I can.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, rescued mini Dachshunds

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Flat to gently rolling terrain and long trips I use it often.
If I am approaching a hill that I think will cause a donwshift I will press the throttle (while still in cruise) as I approach the hill and ease off as I start up the hill. Usually keeps it in overdrive rather than downshifting.

raston
Explorer
Explorer
I use mine when ever I can, but in the hills I use my foot. So, My opinion is on open highway go for it. But in the hills, use your best judgement. But when using it, just don't get so relaxed you forget you're hauling a lot of extra weight. Enjoy!!!