cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demco Recon 5th Wheel hitch

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay, am probably going to make the leap from TT to 5er at some point in the next few months. Been doing research on hitches and came across this hitch.

Demco recon Hitch

Wondering if anyone has used/is using this hitch and/or any thoughts anyone might have. Seems like it fills the niche between Andersen Ultimate hitch and the heavier standard 5th wheel hitches.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS
6 REPLIES 6

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I did too. The only issue I have is sometimes I can't get the trailer brakes to lock the wheels using the controller in order to slide, but that has nothing to do with the hitch.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I almost went with the Anderson but it was a newer concept at the time and I didn't want to be on the bleeding edge."

I think you made the right choice. Their video showing downward force is a FARCE, if they did a fore and aft test like real world conditions they would have learned that it could quickly become a "Folding Hitch".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walaby wrote:
Thanks... I've decided against this already.

Looking at slider hitches. I have a short bed and don't want to take a chance.

Mike
Good choice - I went with the B&W Companion Slider. Bought it from ETrailer. They shipped it to my house for free. Yes, it is a manual slider - not a big deal to me, but I can back into it at an angle, unlike others where you have to back in straight. Very easy to see that your kingpin is locked in.

The only negative thing is the weight. I use an engine hoist to get it in an out - have to take off the tailgate.

I almost went with the Anderson but it was a newer concept at the time and I didn't want to be on the bleeding edge.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks... I've decided against this already.

Looking at slider hitches. I have a short bed and don't want to take a chance.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The part of this setup that is NOT good is the head pivot point is below the kingpin connection height. The offset appears to be less with the Demco than the Curt that is known to cause chucking with several inches of offset.

Looks like a good solid setup. Negatives are the pivot point height and the typical loose connection of the Standard Rails. You would have to buy 21k rails to get the full 21k rating, not sure who makes those???

The pivot point of the B&W hitch is at the same height as the kingpin connection.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

parkdep
Explorer
Explorer
Pull Rite Hitch PullRite Hitch
:R