cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dexstar wheel conflicting info

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replaced the tires on my TT and I have been looking at the Goodyear Endurance tires but they are only available in load range D.

The only readable label on my wheels is the spare and it shows it to be a Dexstar 17-143 (steel, 8 spoke rim) with a 1820 lb capacity which should have a max PSI of 50 which will not work with load range D tire pressure.

When I looked at Dexstar's site, it shows my model wheel is rated at 2150 lbs/80 PSI. I don't know if I should trust the decal or the website. I e-mailed Dexstar 2 weeks ago and never got an answer and their customer service rep is on vacation. Any suggestions? Maybe I'll just have to go with a load range C Carlisle's and give up on the Goodyear's.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran
11 REPLIES 11

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
I called them again and finally spoke with someone with the info I needed. They haven't changed the design or manufacturing process of the 6 year old wheel that is still in production. The wheel was retested a few years ago and is now certified at 2200 lbs. I forgot to ask what PSI the wheel was capable of but I am assuming a 2200 lb wheel is capable of the 65 PSI required for a D load tire.

This is what offshore trailer wheel importers are doing. Most don't come with a pressure rating but just a load rating.
Those wheels will work good for the 65 psi load D tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I called them again and finally spoke with someone with the info I needed. They haven't changed the design or manufacturing process of the 6 year old wheel that is still in production. The wheel was retested a few years ago and is now certified at 2200 lbs. I forgot to ask what PSI the wheel was capable of but I am assuming a 2200 lb wheel is capable of the 65 PSI required for a D load tire.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Make it short a sweet and call Dexstar customer service number.

I did. Apparently they only have one person there that might be able to help me but she is out off the office. Probably the same person that never answered my email.

Keep after them.
We have 15" trailers wheels out here with 50 psi max....65/70 psi max....80 psi max. Thats why its important you find out which psi wheels you have.
I've seen the result of over pressure in load carrying wheels (truck and trailer) when I was on the road. We had newby owners/operators that thought all 16" wheels were 80 psi rated and all 15" could take 65 psi. Today most all new gen 15" 6 lug wheels are 80 psi. My current '97 trailer came with 15" 6 lug Dexters BUT are rated at 70 psi max.
Steel wheels usually split around the bead seat flange and aluminum wheels can crack the valley or the bead seats from over pressure when loads are added.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
You seem to have some embedded misunderstanding here....
Have you had the trailer over a scale?
If not, then do it. Use the table on the tire manufacture's site to determine the correct inflation.
The sole reason that the rims and maybe the tires both specify a maximum inflation of 80PSI is that any higher pressure may be dangerous. It is not a suggested inflation.

A tire with a higher than needed load rating will be no issue. This is common these days as manufactures are cutting the number of ranges because improved technology means that tires can now handle higher load so there is no cost reduction for the lower load tires.

Example:
For our coach, a load range D would be safe. But I run only load range E tires for one very good reason. They are more available and the same price as LRE tires.

A gentleman was telling me that his coach (like mine) handled and rode terribly. I drove it, and he was right, it bounced around like a BB in a bathtub. I asked the tire pressure and he told me he had set them to the recommended on the rim or tire.....
When we let all the tires down to where they should have been, the ride and handling were much improved.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming your trailer is not getting any heavier, you don't need to run higher air pressure in the D tires. The same pressure carries the same load in the same size tire. I put E rated tires on my TT and inflate them to 50 psi since the load is not that great.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

I did. Apparently they only have one person there that might be able to help me but she is out off the office. Probably the same person that never answered my email.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
On our 5er, the. Spare rim is not the same as my 4 on the ground.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
"Dexter"

Dexstar Wheel is a wheel company, Dexter is an axle company.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
"Dexter"

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your rims are likely rated for at least the 80 PSI you found on the web site. Many rims are stamped either on the back side or inside the rim. Assuming your spare rim is the same as the rest, take it down to a tire shop and have the break the bead and look inside. You could also find a phone number for Dexstar and give them a call with the model number of the wheel.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015