cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dinghy brakes or not?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hesitant about this topic because I will probably get lectured but I'm wondering how many of you flat tow with no supplemental brakes? My situation is a 30 ft motor home towing a 2700 lb. Chevy Sonic. I think I'm legal if under 3000 lbs. To me it seems to stop as well or better than my former rig of a 25 ft. 5th wheel towed by a half-ton truck, with the trailer having brakes. I know that every inch less that 1 can stop is important but, let's face it, stopping distance is going to be longer with any RV set-up brakes or not. I'm brakeless mainly I guess because of cost but also inconvenience of another thing to mess with. Just wondering if I am a group of 1 or many?
Jayco-noslide
71 REPLIES 71

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I used a Brake Buddy with all the motor homes we had. In FL, weight is 3,000 lbs, but GA is less, without checking, maybe 2,000 lbs. My toads were in the range of 2400 to 2700 lbs. However, the manuals for the Ford V-10, stated supplemental braking for 1,500 lbs. I thought breakaway was required in all states.

Guess to each his own.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
If both vehicles have brakes, the emergency stopping distance will be shorter if only one has brakes.

I don't think that is what you wanted to say? :S

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Wa State requires brakes on any towed vehicle that could gross over 3000 pounds. Our Jeep weighs over 4300 pounds so we have a brake system on it. but I can't tell the difference with or with out it when towed by the coach.
We have a flat bed trailer, equipped with electric brakes, it weighs about 700 pounds empty, but it can carry 7500 pounds so when we tow it with the Jeep we must have a break controller in the Jeep to control the trailer breaks. and yes it makes a huge difference with or with out it.
Rule 1, obey the law.
Rule 2, use common sense.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
Motorcycles didn't use to have rear brakes. Fred Flintstone had his feet. Those that "never had a problem" will not be the ones responding if they do have a problem. If some kid steps in front of you from nowhere, it's best to have all the brakes you can. Just my opinion.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Some 40 years ago I was towing a heavy car with a gas motorhome (didn't know better) and my brakes overheated. I was able to get to a pullout safely, but I traded the brakeless dolly for a dolly with brakes. To me it is not so much the brakes as the break-away safety. A few years ago the baseplate separated from the Saturn and my car slowly passed me on a less traveled road when I stopped for a light. It was just a short trip so I didn't hook up the brake. (wont do that again). No one hurt, just damage to the front of the Saturn as the grill was ripped off. If this happened in traffic I fear the outcome.
JMHO

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also have a 30(ish) ft motorhome and tow a Sonic. I have towed it multiple times on short and longer trips, and all is good without a braking system. I do have one I bought off eBay for a song, and at some point may use it. I have tested it to make sure it does in fact work. I carry it in the "trunk" of the Sonic.

Be aware that some states require it for anything over 1,500 lbs, and some for anything. My personal opinion (FWIW) is that the MH braking and transmission are both up to the task of stopping both the MH and this very lightweight car. This is especially true with the Ford F53 with tow/haul (mine works great).

I also don't think you can stop a MH fast enough for the car to jack knife unless another vehicle or brick wall is involved, which brings in a different set of problems.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's really simple logic. If both vehicles have brakes, the emergency stopping distance will be shorter if only one has brakes.

Under normal driving conditions, supplemental brakes are redundant; however, under emergency conditions, every little bit helps.

And as mentioned, breakaway brakes are required in most (if not all) states. So, if you happen to get into an accident, you can probably bet the either the LEO or your insurance carrier will bring this up with the possibility of a large fine (citation) and/or loos of insurance coverage.

Expensive? Yes, but compared to what the consequences can be...it's really cheap.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Most states its the law to have a supplemental brake system. If you have to stop in a panic situation without it it may end up ugly! Personally I have one, a brake buddy!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Just about every state requires breakaway protection. Just sayin....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

ronfisherman
Moved from class C.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem I would see is if you have to brake in an emergency, your toad will likely jackknife. Maybe cause damage to the hitch? Doesn't seem like a safety issue, your RV should have plenty of brakes for that combo..
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

jeffengle
Explorer
Explorer
been towing without brakes for 10 years in the mountains, no problem. Jeff