cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disabled Parking Permits

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
In Ontario we get 50% off provincial park campgrounds if you have a valid Ontario disabled parking permit. You also do not require a fishing license. Odd, I know.

I have one. I have been asked on so many occasions, why do you have that, you look fine, what's your problem?

My hubby and I have been yelled at, cursed at and given the unofficial universal sign language on many occasions.

I do not use a disabled spot if there are only a couple of them. I always think someone may come in with a wheelchair and need the space.
Also in the campground, if I am assigned the disabled Site, I always say if someone comes in with a wheelchair we will move to another Site. Just because we get the discount does not mean we have to use a disabled Site, we can use any we choose.

I am not a senior, I do not use a wheelchair and my disability is not always noticeable.

Why do people think it is their right to harass myself and others. They think I owe them an explanation.

It is illegal for anyone, a security person, parking attendant or even a police officer to ask me why I have a permit and demand an answer.

Has anyone else had this issue? What do you do?

We have found that when someone says...do you realize that this parking spot is for a disabled person, I answer, yes I do.

We have been followed into the store with someone yelling at us the whole way into a store, only to have the manager come and say...you really need to move your truck, you obviously have no disability. Another time someone added to his non verbal words that if I could drive a truck I had no disability....Really???
83 REPLIES 83

puttd
Explorer
Explorer
I have a disability not necessarily obvious on some days, use a placard, and anyone who yells at me is engaging in disorderly conduct and possibly assault, and is not protecting handicapped rights, which includes my right to live in peace. If you yell at me like a crazy person, I will call the police and I will press charges.

And as for the "obvious" violations. People would think that of my mother, driving the international that was my parents tow vehicle. She would often have people come huffing in her direction, until she'd drop the walker out the driver's side, lower herself down, and head into Kmart. Someone bench pressing 250 might have problems with their legs. And news flash, disabled people go the the gym. On doctor's orders, in many instances. So, unless you are being a creepy stalker guy following someone around you don't really know.

And, I look perfectly fine. My legs last only so long. I have literally put my hip out because I couldn't handle the wait in line at wally world and ended up in bed for a week. Hopped out of the store on one leg gripping the cart because I could put no weight on the bad hip. Was glad the car wasn't parked in the hinterlands

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of those permits. Yes I get dirty looks. When I get out of the car I appear ok. I have a bad hip, it fails with no warning. My doctor thought I should always park as close to the entrance to a store as possible. It is when I am through walking in the store the problem gets worse. I refuse to use the power chairs yet. When I come out of the store, I am more than thankful that my car is close by. I don't think I could make it far out into the lot. If a spot is open close to the handicapped site, I use it and leave the H-site open for more disabled people. If I can do it fair I will.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Like everything else, some ruin things for others. I'm not talking about the op. I'm talking about when I was working, we had people ready to fight over the handicapped spots. They wanted to be close so they could be first to jump in their cars and not be in all the traffic at shift change. Security was called several times because things got so heated.
We had one guy who would park in the closest spot but then walk around the plant several times a day to "exerciser". :R

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
People rarely have the facts and unless someone is being put into danger I mind my own business and just appreciate that I have no need for a permit. If a person fraudulently uses a permit I hope it comes around and bites them in the rear.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Those who are giving you grief probably do not mean to be intruding on your privacy, but ARE trying to protect handicappers rights. It is unfortunate that they verbally abuse you.

I've seen people without visible signs of a handicap & people who are cheating. I don't speak to either. I have called the police on one who was obviously a cheat, going into the gym, lifting more weight than I could & running for 1/2 hour.

Sorry that people harass you while trying to protect handicappers rights. They should realize some disabilities are not visible. Try not to take it personal.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
That reminds me, my tag expired. I need to make an appointment with my doctor to get it renewed.
why do I have a handicapped tag?
Because my knees hurt, my hips hurt, and I am very short of breath. The less I walk OUTside the store, the more I can walk INside the store. Sometimes I use my cane, sometimes I don't.
Running is absolutely out of the question. I can't do it, PERIOD!
I have never been questioned as to why I have a tag.
There is NO special ID card that goes with the tag in this state. I can either get the hang tag or the license plate. I don't want the plate.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then again my MIL had a legitimate parking permit. My SIL drove her most places and used it. After MIL passed SIL continued to use it for almost a year until I stole it.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
I have a disabled permit but have had little need for it in the last few years. I, too, had a "hidden" disability and have been harassed. One time I just looked back at the person for a full minute without responding and then quietly said "I see you, too, have a disability that normally doesn't bare itself to society". The person got a confused look on his face and asked what I meant.......I said "you're an imbecile....which can't be cured. I'm praying mine can be cured".....and I walked away.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
hotbyte wrote:
I believe like others have stated that the amount of abuse and fraud leads to the questions. Another form of abuse I often hear about is a relative using the car or hang tag permit when the disabled person is not even in the car which I believe is illegal.

There is a lot of abuse.

Handicapped Fraud

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
loulou57 wrote:

Sorry what exactly does the billfold card say? Does it identify your condition? We do not have to disclose the identity to anyone if asked. .

it shows to whom the disability plaque is issued so they can match it up easily with the drivers license, and also gives a disability code number.
but IMHO the worst abuse of these tags are those stupid people who can't read the writing on the card, Remove while driving
bumpy

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most days I look and walk like any other middle-aged person, most days. Other days, well, not so much.

Because of my age and appearance as fairly fit adult male I get a lot of grief when I do use a handicap spot, and that's isn't very often.

In one particular instance a guy who looked to be some 10 or 15 years older than me vocally objected to me parking in a handicap spot (that he wanted to park in). Long story short the exchange drew the attention of both mall security and local police. It turns out the other didn't have a permit, it was for his wife, who was at home, and he was stopping to pick up some stuff after a round of golf. He had just walked 18 holes!

The police politely informed him the permit could only be used for the person named on it, and that my permit had MY name on it.

Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to enforce that requirement.

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Both my wife and I have handicap placards. Neither of us has visible disabilities. I am 210% disabled, considered by the VA to be "100% Permanent and Total." My wife has doctor certifications due to hip and knee problems. When I am driving, I will drop my wife off at the front door, then I'll find a place to park, usually on the backside of the parking lot. I seldom, if ever,use the spots reserved for those with disabilities. As long as I can physically do so, I will continue to park elsewhere. The most apparent misuse here is when a perfectly healthy individual uses grandma's permit to park in a reserved spot.
As to the elderly who no longer drive, that has no bearing on using the reserved spots. If one has an elderly disabled relative, you may need to park in a reserved spot for them.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
I believe like others have stated that the amount of abuse and fraud leads to the questions. Another form of abuse I often hear about is a relative using the car or hang tag permit when the disabled person is not even in the car which I believe is illegal.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
loulou57 wrote:

It is illegal for anyone, a security person, parking attendant or even a police officer to ask me why I have a permit and demand an answer. ?

In the states, or state, you also have a billfold card that you might have to show showing person and disability involved if requested by a LEO. But to anybody asking me why, my first question to them is "are you an orthopedic surgeon? " unless their answer is yes, I am a tad bit rude to them. and MYOB is not it, more like GFY.
bumpy

Sorry what exactly does the billfold card say? Does it identify your condition? We do not have to disclose the identity to anyone if asked. Our privacy act covers that. My friend had a 15 minute discussion with a police officer demanding to know her condition. Finally he called his superior and got quite the mouthful on the radio for all to hear, informing him it was none of his business. He then apologised.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
loulou57 wrote:

It is illegal for anyone, a security person, parking attendant or even a police officer to ask me why I have a permit and demand an answer. ?

In the states, or state, you also have a billfold card that you might have to show showing person and disability involved if requested by a LEO. But to anybody asking me why, my first question to them is "are you an orthopedic surgeon? " unless their answer is yes, I am a tad bit rude to them. and MYOB is not it, more like GFY.
bumpy