cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly our 17 year old Honda CRV will have to be replaced some day.
Why do I need to disconnect the battery?
alternate suggestions welcome!
(hint, newer thank ours CRVs are heavier and the 2015 has a CVT - do not tow!)
On automatic transmission-
equipped vehicles, transmission
must be in Neutral during fourwheels-
down towing. Disconnect
the negative battery cable. See
ownerโ€™s manual for more details.
2015 guide to dinghy towing pdf
7 REPLIES 7

dalerussel
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2014 CRV since the 2015 cannot be flat towed due to a transmission change. The owners manual does not require you to disconnect the battery cable. It says to pull the accessory radio fuse prior to extended towing since the ignition switch must be turned to accessory mode while the CRV is being towed. We installed a fuse master switch to accomplish this.

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
Healeyman wrote:
There seems to be a disconnect here (pun intended).

Most people swear that if you do not have a auxillary braking system in ANY car as heavy as a CRV, the car will break loose and crash into an oncoming church bus full of nuns and kids.

After that, the brake police will slap you into irons and haul you away.

If you disconnect the battery minus, what provides power the aux. braking system?

Tim

too true. will have to find another vehicle!

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be a disconnect here (pun intended).

Most people swear that if you do not have a auxillary braking system in ANY car as heavy as a CRV, the car will break loose and crash into an oncoming church bus full of nuns and kids.

After that, the brake police will slap you into irons and haul you away.

If you disconnect the battery minus, what provides power the aux. braking system?

Tim

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
This would make the job easier!

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Battery-Disconnect-Switch-Universal-Top-Mou...

If you have side post that threads into the battery, they make a version for that type as well.

I had a 99 Honda CRV, the seats where a bit thin, but they upgraded those a few years later. Now I tow a 07Ford Edge.

A friend of ours parked his car in the RV storage lot, and took a month long vacation. With a dead battery in the car, the power door unlocker would not work, and he could not use the key to unlock the door, I guess it just was a switch that unlocked the power doors. So he had to have a mechanic open the hood, and charge the car a little bit, before he could open the doors. My Honda required opening the doors to get the hood open too! So when you install that battery disconnect, with someone in the car, (or the windows down) lock all the doors, then disconnect the electric. Try the door key to open it and see if it works. Otherwise you might need to leave the hood popped open 1/2 way and hope that someone does not 'close it for you - I saw it was propped open a bit'.

Or you could install a 12 volt line from outside the car, to allow hooking up the ground wire to run the door locks (run a wire from the battery side of this ground connector to a ground outside of the car, that you can connect while running the door openers. Example - run a green wire and touch it to a bolt on the hitch frame when you want to unlock the car).

You should be able to find these battery switches at any local auto parts store.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
The battery thing was for several cars. Honda CRVs are no longer towable so it is not on the list.
thanks

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
The battery in the late model CRV's is very very minimal in capacity. So the recommendation to disconnect the negative cable. The way to eliminate the problem is to replace the OEM battery with a group 24 size battery of at least 850 cold cranking amps or more.($95 at NAPA) You will also need to replace the battery tray since the new battery is larger. Go to a Honda dealer and get a tray for a Odyssey.($20) This will cure your battery problems while towing.