cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish TV Pay-As-You-Go RV Plan

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those who do *not* currently have an active Dish account of any kind (home or otherwise), how does this plan operate?

I'm getting conflicting information from Dish TV about how this program operates. Some tell me I can use it for 3 days and only pay for 3 days. Others are telling me I can only purchase service in 30 day increments ($58 a month; Flex pkg with HD and local channels). If we turn it off prior to 30 days there's no credit or roll-over of unused service time.

Your experience?

Thx!
14 REPLIES 14

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
We do not and have never had Dish at home. We do have Dish "Pay as you Go" when we travel.

Using a Playmaker and a Wally we turn it on by making payment in the app. If we don't want it anymore, we just let it expire until we want it again.

I don't know about the credit comments, we have never actually canceled/paused the service, we just let it run out. Next time we are done with the service I will pause it and see if we get a credit to use later.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slightly off-topic, but does relate to access to TV while on the road.

AT&T includes unlimited access to 30-40 channels of DirecTV via the WatchTV app (with no charge for data) with some of their cell plans.

It's easy to "cast" from the WatchTV app to a home TV using a home wi-fi system.

However, anyone know if there's a way to cast from AT&T's iPhone WatchTV app to a TV (with Firestick, Chromecast, etc.) using wi-fi with *no* internet connection (and without using the iPhone personal hotspot)?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

AT&T has mobile plans for satellite users if people use Direct-TV at their home, or use any wired/ fiber AT&T television service.

But AT&T refuses to sell Direct-TV to people with no fixed base for their primary receiver setup. Dish is the only option for people like us who have no physical home base.

There are many fulltime RV'ers that have DTV service with only their mail forwarding service as their address.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
It depends upon the antenna and the box you have.

Basically - Dish uses three satellites in the west, two in the east. If the antenna has one LNB, with is the case with almost all dome type dishes - it can only 'see' one satellite at a time. Two different TVs can watch different channels from Dish, IF they are on the same satellite. If they are on different satellites, no can do.

If you have a three LNB antenna - it can 'see' all three western satellites at the same time, and different channels on different satellites can be viewed at the same time.

Just to clarify, Dish has three eastern satellites as well as three western arc satellites. The third eastern satellite at 77 is mostly SD duplicates and can't be received by all dishes, but it's pretty handy at times for those of us that can use it.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Dish CS reps know nothing about the RV plans. The RV market is such a tiny part of their business, most CS reps will never have an RV call in their entire career.

I always and ONLY use Chat to talk to Dish. There it is easier to explain what I need. In general I try to avoid conversations with CS reps anywhere, but for Dish, I found it essential.

Now, we are full-timers, so it is something we depend upon all the time. Dish has updated the mobile app for my cell phone so I can see where the satellites are, and make sure I have a clear view of them when I try to setup the dish. I can change my location so that I get the local channels for that area - important for weather.

I might also add, if you have any television service at home, check into possible options.

AT&T has mobile plans for satellite users if people use Direct-TV at their home, or use any wired/ fiber AT&T television service.

But AT&T refuses to sell Direct-TV to people with no fixed base for their primary receiver setup. Dish is the only option for people like us who have no physical home base.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here. Thanks for everybody's replies! Looks like things don't bode well for those that only want to use Dish TV in their RV for a few days, or a week or two, at a time (ref standalone, pay-as-you-go accounts, not based on a home account).

rhagfo did mention the option of "cancelling" vs. pausing service (when you use less than 30 days of service) and carrying over the remaining credit when the account is activated again. It Dish does do this, their CS reps certainly don't know anything about how to do it.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We checked into this several years ago. Don't know if it changed. But, in order to have this plan you need a home account. Without a base they won't do it.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
It depends upon the antenna and the box you have.

Basically - Dish uses three satellites in the west, two in the east. If the antenna has one LNB, with is the case with almost all dome type dishes - it can only 'see' one satellite at a time. Two different TVs can watch different channels from Dish, IF they are on the same satellite. If they are on different satellites, no can do.

If you have a three LNB antenna - it can 'see' all three western satellites at the same time, and different channels on different satellites can be viewed at the same time.

Box - you pay per box for your service. If you have two TVs, and the cheaper boxes, you need one box for each TV. Or you can buy a more expensive box with two tuners so that it can display two different channels on different TVs at the same time. The Sling/ Hopper boxes seem to be the best, but we have an older single channel box. (Note - you need a two tuner box to be able to record one channel on DVR and watch a different channel at the same time. Wife wants me to buy one.)

One other point about Dish. In Nov 2018, HBO and it's associated channels were removed from Dish. This was about 10 months after HBO was acquired by AT&T. Another company which AT&T owns is Direct TV. Make up your own mind as to why the two companies - Dish and HBO/AT&T/DirectTV were unable to conclude a new agreement in 2018.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
So with all this very good info what is the best box to use and where would I buy it? Can you hook it up to 2 TV's? My MH is satellite ready (satellite is on the roof). I have 2 coax cables in the compartment with the satellite switch panel.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
wgriswold wrote:
I think the conflicting information comes from two different solutions. One is the 30 day plan and does not require another plan with Dish. The other is extending a home plan to a RV.

I have the 30 day plan and it is good for 30 days as Ford Truck Guy describes.

You guys are wasting money if you don’t use it every day of the 30 days you have it activated. Once started you Do NOT need to use all 30 days, you can CANCEL at any time within that 30 days and keep the remaining credit.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
I think the conflicting information comes from two different solutions. One is the 30 day plan and does not require another plan with Dish. The other is extending a home plan to a RV.

I have the 30 day plan and it is good for 30 days as Ford Truck Guy describes.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
To clarify you must be paid for 30 day in advance before restarting service. You pay for 30 days when you first use it, if you only use for 3 days then CANCEL your service, the next time you go to state it you will need to pay for the three days you previously used so you are paid up for 30 days. Do NOT suspend or pause your service, you will be charged a monthly fee about $5 or so. You must use the word CANCEL when you stop using.
You will likely get an email from dish stating Please Come back.
We have had the service for about six years and the service has been great.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, you purchase 30 day increments. But some have said you can call Dish and tell them to “disconnect” your service and you will retain credit for unused time. And can restart it to use that credit. Haven’t tried it.

The packages are 30 days.

I have been using the plan for several years now with good luck.. What is nice is that there are NO activation fee's . Pay the bill , turn on the system,. scan, watch, repeat if needed..

I pay my last bill in September and do not pay again till the following April with no penalties...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet