cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY fuse power cutoff (no solder)

PilotAlso
Explorer
Explorer
Having to crawl under the dash to unplug a fuse gets old real quick. But the ready made solutions can be so dang expensive. Upwards of $60.00 or so. Being of Scottish descent I couldn't bring myself to go that route. I'm not much for soldering but was going to give it a go UNTIL I figured out a way to do it without having to solder.

First step is to get a fuse the size of the one you need to switch. Mine was a mini automotive fuse. What your looking for is the spades that insert into the fuse box. Carefully use a side cutter to separate the two spades from the plastic.

Once separated, I found that with very little trimming, the spades slip into a blue wire connector. Trim the plastic on the connector to ensure the spades are free to slip into the fuse box when completed.

Use a connector tool to squeeze the connector onto the spade. Once done, strip one end of a low voltage wire and connect it to to open end. Do this for both spades.

Next step is to wire a new fuse holder with appropriate size fuse in line with one of the wires. The end of the wire gets hooked on one side of the switch. The remaining wire from the spades is hooked to the other side of the switch. When the circuit is closed (switch is on)the car will run as original. When the circuit is open (switch is off) the car is ready to tow.

The two spades can now be taped together tightly to simulate the distance required to fit into the fuse slot in the car. Take out the proper fuse and replace it with the your new setup. Test your device to ensure it's working properly then find a place for installing the switch. I used a black on-off switch I found at the local parts store.

Al
4 REPLIES 4

PilotAlso
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
1492's Photo Posting Assistant might be helpful to you.

Thank you for the posting tip.

Al

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
1492's Photo Posting Assistant might be helpful to you.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

PilotAlso
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the hot side should be the the side the fuse is on and the wire from the spade to the new fuse holder should be as short as possible to give the best protection. I wish I could post my pictures. Still trying to figure it out.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea!

You should probably put the new fuse in the wire on the hot side of the switch for best protection.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory