cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

do all dealers lie

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Went to LaMesa dealership in phoenix. They were having a show near Cardinals stadium.
as I walked around I overheard a salesman tell a couple they could pull a 10,700 gvwr 5er with their older 1/2 ton. I asked the salesman what the hitch weight was and he said it was only 800 lbs. How in the world can salesman be so stupid and get away with it.
I gave the couple this website, I hope they research a little.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚
45 REPLIES 45

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Few unknowns here.

What was the trucks towing capacity.

What was the trucks payload.

What was the weight of the trailer...not the GVWR, the GVW. GVWR is your friend. The bigger the better. It is not necessarily a reflection of the weight of the trailer. An Arctic Fox 25R has a dry weight (GVW) of 6045 pounds. Loaded probably around 7500 pounds. The GVWR is 10,000 pounds. That means it is sitting on some very stark axles. Would you rather have a 7500 pound loaded trailer sitting on axles rated for 8000 pounds or 10,000 pounds. GVWR is one number to consider, but generally the bigger the number the better for any given trailer weight. There are lots of half tons that would have no problem with a 7500 pound trailer.

Might be more to the story here.

JMHO
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

DelawareCamper
Explorer
Explorer
yes

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my 41' Elkridge, the dealer asked me what I was going to tow it with. I decided to jerk his chain a little and see what he said. So, I grinned and said I had a 1964 Ford F-150 step side with the straight 6 cylinder engine that I had restored to like new condition. The dealer slowly said "well, I'm not sure that will be enough truck, but I've never seen anyone try it."
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
2008Wildcat wrote:
We have a saying...."buyers are liars".

It goes both ways folks.

Indeed it does!!

Good post!!
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
In one word NO. Some do yes. Generalizations are always inaccurate. My experience at La Mesa was positive.
Our experience with La Mesa in Tucson, has been very positive. Can't vouch for their entire sales dept., but the two salespeople we dealt with were knowledgeable and honest--both had been employed there for over 10 years. Their Tucson service department definitely gets our big thumbs up. We initially worked our 3 or 4 warranty issues via email and pics without having to tow our rig down. Warranty authorizations and parts were ordered based on the emails. After we were notified the parts had arrived we were able to get a service appt. 3-4 days later. The parts were promptly replaced while we waited.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Just like ChuckV1 I bought 3 Montana's from the same dealership (Tacoma RV) they are very Knowledgeable and are Not on sales Commission with no pressure to buy and they have had the same salesmen for Years and are paid pretty well so what I am saying is Not ALL salesmen are liars if they work for a good dealership they stay and know their stuff and get repeat buyers like me
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I've talked with several dealers. The last place I bought my 5er from was about as honest as they come. Thunder RV in La Grande Or. The place I bought my previous TT from was mostly liars but fairly honest. They lied about certain parts of the sale but they were honest about what my truck couldn't tow. They went from selling 5ers and TT's to just doing consignments and selling new and used parts. Last I read they were being sued for non payment from consignment sales.
The dealer where I bought our 1st TT from was overall honest. Yes they tried to sell me an expensive hitch but I knew it was overpriced. I was a good WDH though so thats a wash I guess. When we were looking we had a Nissan Frontier V6. I had really no idea if I could tow my 6500 lb rating. The salesman I worked with was honest and never tried to over sell me on a TT. However we went to the local RV show where that dealer has several TTs near the size I wanted. I happened to be looking at one that was a little bigger than what the original salesman showed me on their lot. The new salesman say yeah no problem with your Frontier. Well the sales manager happened to walk over at that moment and told us that no it's too big.
Had another positive feedback encounter at an out of town dealer. When I told him I wanted to stay within certain weights he replied that I must have a 3/4 ton, which I did.
And I've had some sales guys tell me that since I have a diesel I can tow some 36' 5th wheel that has a dry pin weight way over my payload ratings.
JMO but I think there's good ones and bad ones. I've had more good than bad.

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
We have a saying...."buyers are liars".

It goes both ways folks.
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

nscaler2
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
We were at the rv sales before it was lazy days in Tucson and each fifth had a ford truck to match what was needed to tow that weight of fifth sitting beside it.

I thought tht was a great idea plus the salesman had a card showing this information.

chevman

Just goes to show that each dealership location can be different. We were at the Lazy Days dealership near Tampa. Sitting out front was a 5th wheel ( exactly like one that I own) hitched to a Ford F250. No way would that F250 have the payload capacity to handle the 5vr that was hitched to it. Anyway they were giving the impression that a 250 class truck could handle it and it is not true. So, even within the same company, but different locations one can come up with different erroneous stories.
Vanleigh Vilano 325RL
w/Mor/ryde pin box
Mor/Ryde IS suspension with hydraulic disk brakes and never lube bearings
Goodyer G rated tires
2011 GMC 3500HD CC Lb
B&W turnover w/Companion

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
The DW and i have also seen the good an bad, we were buying a car a few years back, the salesman could not tell me where the car was built even thought it was on the window sticker ....His buddy came out and stated that the other guy was a new salesman and he really wanted to sell us a car, could we come into the building, do a credit check an go from their, we looked at each other, then looked at him an walk away .... I reported him to the sales manager but never heard back so I expect they pushed their sales staff to be high pressure ...

Now this pat January we went looking at new 5th wheels at a RV show, one of our friends had been at the same RV show the day before and said that the sales people were like shacks looking for the kill....

We looked at a number of 5th wheels and he was right, a number of them wanted to sell us a new 5th wheel an really pushed for a sale, we walked away... We then looked at Montana's an KZ 5th wheel's, the salesman ask if there was any questions he could answer, I said could you explain how the different water valves and other things in the compartment were....

He took his time, explained everything in great detail never asking how we liked the trailer or if were wanting to buy such, just again is there anything more he could explain ... I said no and he walked away asking another person if he could help them with something ....

I had another question and another young salesman came by and I ask him about the drains under the trailer, he said lets look and crawled under the trailer with me an pointed out what the different lines were .... again there was no pressure to buy, he as the other young salesman said if I can help you with any other questions let me know ....

When the wife said she really like the trailer we bought I walked up to the one young salesman and said I'd like to talk about this trailer, his first words were what type of truck do you have, you know it's a pretty heavy 5th wheel and you should have at least a heavy duty 3/4 ton truck or better yet a 1 ton nothing less .... He didn't know it yet but that one question along with no pressure to sell a trailer had just sold one ....

My point here is that these were two young mean in their early 30's that new almost every part of the trailers they were selling, they had taken the time to do their homework, by doing such they had sold a 60K 5th wheel ....

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously, the right answer is that not all sales people lie. We have the good fortune of having a salesman that we have bought three trailers from that gives us a fair deal and takes good care of us. Ironically, he works at CW. Service sucks, but I use them for only essential warranty stuff. As many have posted, however, we as consumers have to go into the deal as informed as possible. We shouldn't necessarily have to, but at least it makes us more knowledgeable.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

sele
Explorer
Explorer
Sale people only lie if they don't want repeat customers. I have used the same salesman for my trucks for the last 5 trucks and my son has used him for the last 3 cars. I don't care what dealership he is at he takes care of his customers. RV's I don't have an answer we have only had 2 over the last 16 years and the first was used.
scott

Jpbeck1
Explorer
Explorer
I learned to not give them the opportunity to lie. I go onto a rv lot, equipped with the knowledge I need so that all I'm there for is to look at the trim and floor plans. I know how much I can tow, I know what my GVWR is, and I know where to look for the trailers weights are. If I have a question I whip out my phone and go to the manufacturer's website.

When I'm ready to buy I have my credit union draft me check and I bring it to the office and say this is my check this is all I wil pay, do you want to do business with me?
Have Fun,
2007 Jayco JayFeather 20BH
2009 Ford F150 5.4L

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Just spent the last 10 years as a mechanic in a used car dealer. The unspeakable things I have witnessed the salesman say to make a sale is just unbelievable. The things I have been forced to do to a car to be "ready for sale" are just as unspeakable. Next friday 3/10/17 will be my last day in this industry and I will never look back.. The day I got the email with an invitation to join the company I am going to was the biggest weight lifted off my shoulders I have ever felt in my life.

Not all salesmen are liars but there is a stereotype for a reason.

Chuck_thehammer wrote:
YES,, as in LIFE.. there are exceptions...

43 years as a used car mechanic...

my opinion.. RV salesmen are below used car salesmen. again my opinion.

Buyer educate yourselves BEFORE purchasing.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS