Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dolly tire rims are different

paker
Explorer
Explorer
(I wish I could attach photos)
The mounting surface that has 5 bolt holes is different in depth. Measured from the outer edge of the wheel, one is about 4" deep, the other is 5" deep. So when I install them on the dolly, one wheel is 1" father out. My left wheel is as close to the fender attachment bracket as this photo , but the right wheel is 1" farther away than the left. Should I be concerned about some kind of unbalance from this?I can use washers to clear the fenders from the wheels. Any inherent unbalance?
7 REPLIES 7

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
The 1" difference will not make any difference in the towing performance of the dolly. Anyone who says it will is a fanatic.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

rvpaker
Explorer
Explorer
It was a craigslist purchase. My first tow dolly though I rented u-haul dollies before. The left wheel closer to the dolly body will carry a little more weight than the other "by one inch". I doubt the difference is significant. The wheels are not pivoting. The wheel pan does. So I am cautiously inclined to keep the wheels.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about an imbalance, but I would get at least one new wheel so they are the same. Maybe buy 2 just so they match and are new, depending on what you know about the history of that dolly.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You do not have the proper wheel offset.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Y-Guy
PM sent with instructions, double post removed.

New! Easy Photo Upload & Posting Web App!
(thanks to Moderator 1492)
We're back on topic now.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
rvpaker wrote:
I would like to delete old user ne but don't know how to.

Contact a moderator, they may be able to help.