cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dolly Towing 2014 Versa Note

iyamtony
Explorer
Explorer
Question for anyone in the know. I have a 2014 Nissan Versa Note that I tow with an Acme dolly. The front wheel bearings had to be replaced with only about 3300 miles of towing. There was a lot of lateral movement I noticed when I had a flat on the left front. Checked the right and It was almost the same. Dealer agreed bearings are bad and replaced them. I tried to never make sharp turns with it on the dolly. Now the question. Does anyone know if the possible turning to sharp could contribute to the bearing problem?
11 REPLIES 11

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We had the ACME (only got rid of it because we no longer had a car we could tow). Loved it. Put around 2000 miles on it towing a Toyota Yaris and then a Ford Focus. issues at all. And yes you have to keep the steering wheel unlocked.

Also, I think if any damage of turning too sharp were to happen, it would be to the side of the car. You probably turned no sharper than what you would turn the car if just driving it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

iyamtony
Explorer
Explorer
Hoss sounds like you have tested pretty good. Yeah the book sez 90psi. I have a hard time putting that much in a small tire like that. Do you run with the ramps bolted down in the spot for them in front? The Versa doesn't have much clearance and Im afraid going through dips the ramp might come up and damage the fiberglass so I put them else where.

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
10-4 on the front wheel drive Bumpy.

I have around 7k on the ACME. We spent Christmas and New Year's in Florida which meant going thru South Carolina on I 95. There are sections of that road I swear test any vehicle. I have been in the Smokies going into TN with it which have some tight turns and as of yet never had any trouble. I was a tad concerned at first with the size of the dolly tires but they have not gave me a moment of trouble. The manufacturer is top notch from what I have seen. We picked ours up at the factory.
You do run the required 90 psi in the tires correct?
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

iyamtony
Explorer
Explorer
Campinghoss and Bumpy thanks for the responses. Campinghoss how long have you been towing with your Acme. Sounds like we have the same dingy.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Campinghoss@51 wrote:
I use a ACME surge brake dolly also. I tow a Toyota Highlander most the time and have not had any bearing trouble. You do have to leave the steering unlocked as the wheels on the vehicle turn as needed. It does sound like you may have had bad bearings to start with.

I assume that is a front wheel drive highlander?
bumpy

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a ACME surge brake dolly also. I tow a Toyota Highlander most the time and have not had any bearing trouble. You do have to leave the steering unlocked as the wheels on the vehicle turn as needed. It does sound like you may have had bad bearings to start with.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

iyamtony
Explorer
Explorer
Please excuse the fat fingering. I believe the book SEZ to leave the wheel unlocked.

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
iyamtony wrote:
I do leave the steering wheel unlocked and the book sex to do that.

I'm interested in seeing that book. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

X25,000

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
iyamtony wrote:

I'm interested in seeing that book. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

iyamtony
Explorer
Explorer

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does the NOTE have a locking steering column?
If yes, did you tow with it Locked?
Or Unlocked?
What does the instruction sheet for the ACME dolly say about locking/unlocking the steering?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB