cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic RM2554 (General question)

Stevepro172
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dometic RM2554 that hasn't really worked correctly since new. My RV has 2 side vents that I have added 4 fans for airflow. Also added a in fridge fan. Anytime the temp is under 50 degrees the freezer and refrig are fine. Any higher and the refrige will be between 40-50 degrees. Freezer will stay between 20-30 degrees. My question is can I cut out the freezer box and let that air circulate in hopes to keep the fridge under 40 degrees? Anyone ever try that? I don't need the freezer section.

If you don't think that will work do you think I would have better luck with a Norcold replacement? Looking at a N510. I'm not sold that side venting is the way to go but to keep the layout I have I can't vent through the roof which seems like the way to go.

thanks
Steve
9 REPLIES 9

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
ctilsie242 wrote:
One thing I do to supplement the cooling of the fridge part is to have about 4-5 freezer packs. Every day or so, I swap 1-2 between the freezer and the top part of the fridge. The little blue fan does the rest, keeping the fridge part at a usable temperature.

I learned this here and also do it when ever it gets really warm outside and it works great.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing I do to supplement the cooling of the fridge part is to have about 4-5 freezer packs. Every day or so, I swap 1-2 between the freezer and the top part of the fridge. The little blue fan does the rest, keeping the fridge part at a usable temperature.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
My propane fridge works as good as they can. My temp is 7 below in the freezer and the fridge is right at 37. That's as of last night. The installers put the curved metal in at the top and it draws really good!

All of that said when it gets really hot like 95 plus or driving in really sunny hot weather it suffers. When and maybe before mine dies it will be replaced with a 12 volt compressor fridge. They operate like a residential fridge and can keep your food nice and cold regardless of outside temp.

If you have a fridge that won't work and your venting is correct I would suggest you look into a nova kool or similar replacement 12 volt fridge. They make them to fit almost any standard opening. They also have the advantage of not needing to be level to operate. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Stevepro172
Explorer
Explorer
lap527 wrote:
Does fridge always do it regardless of moving or parked? Yes sir old biscuit hit the nail on the head about proper airflow. We fought the same battle for 3 years but finally got it right and now it works great.

Yep, doesn't matter if it's on shore power or running off of LP

Stevepro172
Explorer
Explorer
RV is 3 years old and hasn't worked right since the day I got it. The first year really never used the fridge and by the time I realized it wasn't working correctly it was out of warranty. I also replace the thermistor (no difference) and there was a 1" gap around the top and side that I filled in with installation. I'm out of ideas.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Diagram M on the installation is a common installation problem. If installer does not install curved metal to deflect air flow out the top opening, air flow will get stopped at the top of the chimney and cooling unit.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Does fridge always do it regardless of moving or parked? Yes sir old biscuit hit the nail on the head about proper airflow. We fought the same battle for 3 years but finally got it right and now it works great.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is NO direct connection between freezer and food compartment on an absorption fridge.
Both compartments have their OWN evap coils for cooling.

And I don't care how many FANS you add if RV MFG. screwed up the installation of that Dometic Fridge.
Absorption fridges are about PROPER airflow not just airflow.

That has an installation requirement of 0" (ZERO) sidewall clearances, 0" (ZERO) top clearance, 0" (ZERO) bottom clearance and most importantly 0"/1" (ZERO/ 1" MAX) backwall clearance

If bigger clearances exists then 'dead air' happens.......hot air stays....chimney effect lacking.
And w/o baffles/blocking the airflow will NOT go in/around/thru the necessary areas of cooling unit to remove the heat being released.
Lack of adequate/proper heat removal......LACK OF COOLING EFFECT

Installation Manual---pg. 5 clearance requirements
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
My side vent works great. How old is it? Have you tried adjusting the thermister that is mounted on the far right fin? Have you tried blowing out the chimney? Have you tried cleaning the burner tube?
Replacing it with a nevercold definitely is NOT the way to go. Figure out what is going on and fix it instead.
BTW, there are several discussions on how to improve side vent refers on here and other forums.