cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drinking Campground Water...

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and are are arguing about making coffee with campground water.
I've always used a water filter on our White Hose, but my wife has never tasted campground water, she buys gallons of water.

The water in question is at Desoto State Park. (Alabama)
I've drank the water, both filtered and unfiltered.
I can't tell the difference. Taste like the water at our home.
Far as I know they have never had a problem with their water.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I'd like to know how the forum feels about general campground water.
Do you buy gallons of water for coffee, or use what comes out of the faucet?
109 REPLIES 109

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is TASTE.

And then there is POTABILITY.

Most water out there is potable. How it tastes will differ and some folks will hate the differences and some won't notice.

If taste matters, keep a supply of "tasty" water in your RV for those places that have "icky tasting" water. If a place has "tasty" water, then drink it.

Don't worry about the rest.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Isn't there also a big difference between consuming/showering with "bad" water for a few days in a campground versus years in your house? Few things, no matter how bad, are going to harm you in limited quantities.

For me, water quality refers to the taste and little more. Our camper has a filtered water tap we use for drinking water but I fill the tank with whatever is around.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Omfg. As if this couldnโ€™t get any more fickle.
Aerosol contaminants coming out of the campground water youโ€™re showering with?
Gotta ask. Do you even camp bro? Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would rather drink untreated well water than chlorinated water any time.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I assume by "campground water" we are talking about well water and not municipal water. since city water would be no different in a campground or a hotel or your houseโ€ฆ
The Health Inspector will be testing their water so it should meet minimum standards, unless it is a state park and the inspector has no authority there..
I'd say if you want to argue or disagree with the effectiveness and purpose of filtering water or drinking pure non-contaminated water, then seek out a forum more specific to health issues. It seems people here filter their water as it is common sense to know that most water is not pure quality. It will not kill you, but for good health drinking good water is smart.
For coffee people will be even more particular. Bad water makes bad coffee. Then there are others who drink Sanka, so go figureโ€ฆ

BillyBod, you are correct. Lakes and pools are the dirtiest water sources we have, the oceans a bit cleaner depending where you are. The middle of the great lakes is typically clean, too far out for contaminates to reach. I have a river behind where I live that I would not put my finger in. But, if you are not into staying fit and healthy, then just let your eyes glaze over a little bit while reading the forum post warning you. There are worse things. Wait til 5G gets put up on the pole at your streetโ€ฆ.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:

Lots of contaminants can be absorbed through the skin. If the water is not safe to drink, I am not sure I would feel safe using it for bathing. Also consider that the shower will generator lots of aerosols that could contain contaminants such as mold, bacteria, viruses, heavy metals and organics such as pesticides and other petrochemicals. Do you really want to breath those contaminants while you shower?

I guess taking a dip in the ocean, or lakes and rivers is totally out of the question? And going to places like Niagara Falls in your formaldehyde spewing RV may not be a good idea either with all that toxic mist in the air? ๐Ÿ˜„

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I understand you are concerned about the quality of campground water and want to drink bottled water. I would think you would want to use bottled water to make coffee for the same reasons. You might also want to think about using bottled water to brush your teeth and for a final rinse after washing dishes.

Lots of contaminants can be absorbed through the skin. If the water is not safe to drink, I am not sure I would feel safe using it for bathing. Also consider that the shower will generator lots of aerosols that could contain contaminants such as mold, bacteria, viruses, heavy metals and organics such as pesticides and other petrochemicals. Do you really want to breath those contaminants while you shower?

MrWizard
for coffee, i use the water from my fresh water tank to make coffee
i have an installed water filter that goes to a fill tap at the kitchen counter
OEM install. just change the filter as needed
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
In my original post I failed to mention we always carry a case of bottled water.
My wife and I guzzle water, so a case or two has been our normal.
My only question is do people make coffee with campground water,
or carry gallons of water for coffee?
We drink a lot of coffee.
Guess I wasn't clear on the campground water question. Sorry yall...

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:

Although I'd have to be pretty d@mn thirsty to drink out of cattle track puddles or a stock tank. Now the well feeding the stock tank, different story.

Lol...I have used a water tank hose to drink many times, when dirt biking the high meadow back country. Of course that was before getting the fancy backpack, with bladder and mouth piece to suck. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Considering most y'all have been AARP members for a while now, I just gotta ask....

How'd y'all that won't drink anything but triple filtered fully krausened water make it so many trips around the sun?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Im as calm as can be but to hear others tell another what they should, should not do is no different to having a porch light on in your own campsite. Oh...their afraid of the dark, oh their afraid of the campground water. I'm just saying...whatever!!

Edit:
What do you know...two brands of bottled I drink are on the top ten! LOL
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
That bottled water you are drinking is more than likely tap water...

Read the bottle label. A lot of the water goes through RO. However, there is the occasional Consumer Reports bottle water tests or the Perrier benzene fiasco.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
That bottled water you are drinking is more than likely tap water... Perception is often not reality.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Topics like this never cease to amaze! Some get so upset about what someone else is doing! Frankly, you can sip your water from a toilet bowl for all I care, or drink from that rubber hose we are told now a days might kill you(tongue and cheek)...so from bottled, to well, to tank to filtered...whatever works for you is fine with me. I happen to drink bottled cause that's my perception of safe water and with said bottled water, myself nor the dogs have ever experienced any intestinal problems that I'm aware of. In a Nutshell, if it works for you, do what you want!

Calm down there tiger. It is not our concern you drink out of the toilet. The OP asked about filters and what others are doing and the results we are getting. We know most Americans drink out of the toilet, err, straight from the tap. This is not news-worthy. I hate to see people get so violent on a forum