cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving non stop

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting a new Class C motor home this weekend. Got the approval call today. We will put it to great use. With that being said, it got me wondering as to non stop driving. With it being a Class C, my wife won't have any issues driving it, especially on the highway. How far have you gone with switching off drivers and not stopping for the night? We would love to go out west as far as we could, but with only having a two week period. It's not really feasible to go too far out. I've driven between South Carolina and California 3 times. Each time taking me 3 days of 12 hr driving. So week to just drive out there and back is a bummer. But if we could get it done in half the time, then not as bad. Would go all the way to California, but maybe to the Rockies or Yellowstone.

Has anyone done the trade off driving to get somewhere in a shorter period? How far did you go?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
80 REPLIES 80

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have driven 24 hours straight with 2 drivers and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Switch off when you feel it's necessary and stop if you're both tuckered out. There is no one size fits all answer. Use rest areas and walmarts when you feel you can't go any farther and start up again when you're ready. Just don't be dumb and try to push yourself to the breaking point and you'll be fine.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it......
Report back here on this thread after your trip since we are all subscribed and will get notifications that you are back home....:)
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We drove from DC to the Badlands in two days. First overnight was in Indiana, second was in South Dakota. On the first day, we left our house at 4PM and stopped at 3AM (we prefer to drive at night). Second day we drove from about 10AM to midnight. We slept in a truck stop the first night (horrible) and a rest area the second night (wonderful). We left on a friday afternoon and were in Badlands National Park by noon on Sunday. We were a little cranky by the time we pulled into Badlands but a good meal and a short nap and we were ready to roll. We spent the late afternoon hiking the area.

If you don't count the Friday, our entire trip was 16 days - three weekends plus two midweeks. We ended up going from there to Custer State Park, Yellowstone, Glacier, and Teddy Roosevelt.

Would I do it again? Yes, we did it this past September when we drove from DC to Colorado and then on to Utah and Arizona. But, we took three weeks as we had more to see.

A couple of notes: the longer you are on the road, the more you want to stop. Try to bust out the miles earlier in the day. When you do stop, get out and walk around. An extra ten minutes out of the truck will allow you to drive further on the next leg. Have pre-planned stop locations. It's easier to drive another 30 miles when you know you will be stopping rather than having to hunt for the next stop. When all else fails, listen to talk radio - Howard Stern has gotten us through many a miles.

Good Luck and enjoy your trip!
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Iam with the OP ,3 days of corn fields is a 'get r done' trade off drivers every 2-3 hours .Stop if you get too tired - dont be a hero.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:
wbwood wrote:
We are getting a new Class C motor home this weekend. Got the approval call today. We will put it to great use. With that being said, it got me wondering as to non stop driving. With it being a Class C, my wife won't have any issues driving it, especially on the highway. How far have you gone with switching off drivers and not stopping for the night? We would love to go out west as far as we could, but with only having a two week period. It's not really feasible to go too far out. I've driven between South Carolina and California 3 times. Each time taking me 3 days of 12 hr driving. So week to just drive out there and back is a bummer. But if we could get it done in half the time, then not as bad. Would go all the way to California, but maybe to the Rockies or Yellowstone.

Has anyone done the trade off driving to get somewhere in a shorter period? How far did you go?

In theory, you should be able to run 55mph and make 2500 miles in 45 hours,, if you need fuel add for that,, Most reliable trucking companies dispatch at 45mph... Check "mover guide for reasonable arrival times!!! good luck and god speed!!!

PS,, if a lawyer can point out driver fatigue then you have a Liability issue there. more at stake than just cutting it short!!!

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Run it!!! I have run 16 hours at 65 miles an hours,, long haul but doable!! If you wanna go then go,, You and another driver should be able to run at least two tanks of fuel a run before driver change,, red Bull and Soda,, Snapple bottle and you keep a rolling!!! you have a bed, rotate when you get tired,, when you get fuel you get food,, GO!!! A four hour nap and your good for ten more..
If you are doing it for a living it will catch up with you,,, But if you NEED to be somewhere,,, GET THERE!!!

Artemus_Gordon
Explorer
Explorer
We had to return from NJ to CA, wife and I found 700 miles per day was doable. No site seeing, but did stop for puppy breaks!
2012 Montana 3750 Hickory Edition, 2013 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Platinum options

2012 3750 Montana

Generator Box

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
One of the previous posters, made a good point. If either of your is too tired, stop and have a proper sleep, if only for a few hours.

DW cannot sleep in any moving vehicle (car, RV, Plane, Train etc). We have lots of family stories about her hallucinations when she is over tired.

The way we make it work it she takes the early shift and drives for up to 8 hours with a stop every 2 hours to stretch our legs and walk the dog. I can sleep anywhere and sleep through the first few stops. After 8 hours I drive for up to another 8 hours, then we stop for at least 6 hours sleep. We still make good time, but are better rested when we arrive.

We have done a 24 hour push, but it was not pretty and we will not do it again.

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:

I dunno...long haul shift driving to me doesn't really apply to RVing.
From what I've noted here on RV.NET most folks are older and want to enjoy their efforts.
Getting there shouldn't be a race against time.
Sitting behind the wheel can be stressful even on short hauls.
Pick a target, plan, see it, enjoy.
For myself I'd take it easy and not pack a million miles into a short period.

If you are younger there will be plenty of time to see it all.
Stay safe and rested.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Given your strict guidelines I would say a plane and rental car would be your best option… doing a 3 or 4 week trip in two weeks is very doable IMO, even now, but it wouldn’t allow for nearly as much enjoyment…
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

wilcamp
Explorer
Explorer
If you and the DW are up for the marathon driving, stamina, nerves, sleep, health conditions etc., please go for it. We can not impose our expectations on your dream vacation plans. But, that having been said . . .

Does anyone else have concerns/worries about swelling in the legs/ankles, and the possiblility of blood clots which can occur on such long trips? Twenty months ago, I suffered from Deep Vein Thrombosis in the left leg that also led to life-threatening pulmonary edema (blood clots) in my lungs. I am also in physical rehab for a broken leg suffered in a skiing accident this past winter. DW just had a hip replaced 2 weeks ago. Neither of us is up to traveling the 10-14 hour days without stops about every hour, to walk and flex the legs so the blood keeps flowing, under orders/recommendations from our doctors.
Wil, Tara, Keeko (Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix 9 yr.-old) and Kalee (Wire Hair Terrier/Blue Heeler mix 1 yr. old)
2018 Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2702; 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 5.7L Hemi w/ 3.92 rear axle

Ltcspec
Explorer
Explorer
We have been driving from Minnesota to Florida over the Christmas break for 15 years. Often, we only have 10 days or less, so, in order to enjoy the sun and family, we drive non-stop. It is a 24 hour drive and my wife and I trade off every four hours. Has never been a problem. We have never stopped and visited the sites in-between the states. It has always been rush to Florida and then rush home and hope to avoid the snowstorms. Enjoy the trip.
Bob and Karrie
2014 Newmar Dutch Star
2013 Cadillac SRX
Blue Ox Tow Bar, SMI Air Force One

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
You're the one that asked the question. If you don't like the answers don't ask the question. It appears that you're going to do it anyway. Could you tell us the route and schedule so we can avoid you on the road?

The question was asking if others have done it...not whether if you thought it was a good idea or not. Didn't say if, when or where we would do it. People often forget that their life circumstances do not work out the same way as others and do not allow the time that others may have. When we retire, then we will be able to slow down and smell the roses, so to speak. But we got about another 20 years before then.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
I love to drive. No issues going 12-14 hours per day and that includes towing. i would do this vs. having my wife drive for one hour . However, i would also think I would prioritize my destination first and foremost to minimize driving and more time to see different places. If Yellowstone is where you want to go and this is your only opportunity and 2 weeks is all you will ever have to make the trip i would do it. But like other posters have said there are many places to see between NC and Wyoming that will keep you out of the drivers seat longer. Another idea would be to fly. Have fun. Did you sell your TT?

Trading it in....
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

zonacamper
Explorer
Explorer
a lot of "how" we drive depends on the trip itself. I, personally, enjoy the journey as much as the destination. But, next we are traveling from Phx to Iowa. 14th time I have made the trip. At this point, the route doesn't look much differerent at night than it does during the day, so we will get there ASAP.
But, later on this summer going to Oregon. Been there about as many times, but more to see, so will take our time.
Botom line, every trip is different. But that is the beauty of a class C- it will meet the needs of about every trip you take!