cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dumping black tank - for stationary travel trailer

jdonnell
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone out there has this same situation, and what kind of solutions are available.

My TT is parked on our mountain property. It is mostly stationary, but we do take it out once in a while. We use it a lot on the mountain property. I am trying to find different ideas / solutions for emptying the black tank.

I have a portable tank (27 Gal), in which I dump the black tank, after every trip. After 2 trips (sometimes 3), we have to empty the portable. In which case, I have to load it into the back of the pickup, drive to the nearest campground (1.5hrs driving time) to empty the tank. While this has worked for a few years now, I am trying to find another solution (if any are available). So, I would like to find out if anyone else has a similar situation, and what they do.

I can not install a septic system on the property at this time (county says the house permit must be in place, before a septic can be installed... and there are no house plans at this time).

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd go for the idea of building a little temp septic system to dump into on the sneak so you not hauling your shat around.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jdonnell
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for some good ideas (and some not so good... lol)... When I do dump the tank at the campground, I am able to flush it with water (has a water inlet valve on the top, for flushing), so the portable does get clean. And I have started taking the tank home, dumping at another dump site, on the way home (saves time). And unfortunately, I do not have an easy way to dump the portable at home (no sewer lines to dump into, without going into the house... and the wife has already said "NO WAY" to that...lol)... I have considered calling a company, to empty the waste. I may have to check into that more.. Thanks everyone!

tomdinwv
Explorer
Explorer
Can you install a fitting in your home's sewer line to dump your portable tank? Since you are loading your portable tank in the truck anyways, you could just bring it home instead of driving out of your way to dump.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
You can have a Septic Maintenance company come and pump out the black tank. Considering you pay for gas to drive 3 hours round trip to dump the tote, paying a septic company probably won't cost too much more.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
We built a small septic on our wilderness property like this. 55 gal drum with holes punched into it with pick axe and dig hole 2x size of drum. Put drum upside down in hole and cut a hole for the pvc pipe. Fill the area around the drum with 2 inch rock and bury it in. We have used ours for years. Keep lots of septo-bac or similar agent going into it.

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Put a pit toilet on the property and don't use the RV toilet. When the pit toilet is full, bury the hole and dig a new one. RVing is not rocket science.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
jdonnell wrote:

I can not install a septic system on the property at this time (county says the house permit must be in place, before a septic can be installed... and there are no house plans at this time).

Thanks

Get a used 55 gal plastic or steel drum and some plastic 3 or 4 inch drain pipe and make a septic system for the RV without a permit.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
couldn't resist.

Maybe when out in the wild do as the wild bears do. :W

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you didn't think this one out ahead of time! lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
If you can carry the tote 1.5 hrs to a camp ground after making 3 trips to the property, why not just carry it home and dump it after 2 trips to the property?

I had a small tow vehicle that I used to tow a 17 ft TT I used for hunting season (1 Hr 45 min). I would leave it at a friends home near property my dad owned. I would pick it up and move it to dad's property when I went hunting for a week at a time them move it back to the friends place before returning home. I dumped the black tank (20 gallon usually almost full) into a 26 gallon tote before taking the trailer back to the friends house. I would bring the tote home and dump it and take it back the next time I went hunting.

Now I have a 28 footer and a bigger truck.

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes put a small pool on your property without alerting the town, keep the access covered with leaves if the town comes over, no way would I be driving 1.5 hrs....to dump.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like your best bet would be a macerator. I'd bet you're leaving a lot of 'stuff' in the black tank since you're not flushing it with lots of water. With the macerator, you should be able to put your tote in the back of the truck when empty, then dump.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch