cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Duramax and towing a 10600lb 5th wheel

Our_Place
Explorer
Explorer
This is a question about the trans. Should I just leave the truck in "D" and go or should I be in manual mode and restrict it to 5th gear? The truck seems to be laboring on slight uphill grades but will pull no problem if you mash it to get it to downshift. The truck is a 2008 with the 6 speed Allison.
2008 Silverado 3500HD crew cab 4x4 SRW Duramax Allison 6 speed
2014 Cougar 327 RES "Campy"
13 REPLIES 13

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Bear has a Kodiak MDT d/a combo. As such, he is always in t/h mode. He has no normal mode! No different than those of us with 90's style gm pickups. The 4l80e trans does not have a t/h mode either. You have to get a 2000+ model to get this trans with a t/h option.
It is also possible depending upon gvwr of bears rig, he may not have the 1000 series. But a 2000 series if he has a dot class six 19501-26k 5500 model. The 19500 gvwr 5500 has the 1000 same as the 2500hd to 4500 models.

March

I figured your answer was the reason but I didn't know for sure. Same for the Allison 1000 installed on a MH. MH is always towing.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

blt2ski
Bear has a Kodiak MDT d/a combo. As such, he is always in t/h mode. He has no normal mode! No different than those of us with 90's style gm pickups. The 4l80e trans does not have a t/h mode either. You have to get a 2000+ model to get this trans with a t/h option.
It is also possible depending upon gvwr of bears rig, he may not have the 1000 series. But a 2000 series if he has a dot class six 19501-26k 5500 model. The 19500 gvwr 5500 has the 1000 same as the 2500hd to 4500 models.

March
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
the bear II wrote:
My Allison doesn't have a tow haul mode so I will drop it down gear by gear depending on how steep and long the grade is. I pull a 15000 lb 5th wheel and on 6% grades I'm often in second gear under 30MPH with the go pedal pushed to the floor. This seems to be a good place for the engine/trans, very smooth, no lugging and temps don't climb up.

No T/H on your Allison? How'd that happen? Did they not install that on the medium duty trucks? I've never driven one so haven't looked.

I would like to know the answer also.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
When I'm tow8ing, mine is always in tow/haul mode. The only time I shift it out is to get an up-shift at speeds that are below the tow/haul upshift parameters. Say a 55 mph speed limit and my up-shift happens at 62.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
kaydeejay wrote:
Leave it in "D" and select "Tow-Haul".
Your computer is smart enough to figure out the best gear to be in.

That's what I do.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
My Allison doesn't have a tow haul mode so I will drop it down gear by gear depending on how steep and long the grade is. I pull a 15000 lb 5th wheel and on 6% grades I'm often in second gear under 30MPH with the go pedal pushed to the floor. This seems to be a good place for the engine/trans, very smooth, no lugging and temps don't climb up.

No T/H on your Allison? How'd that happen? Did they not install that on the medium duty trucks? I've never driven one so haven't looked.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
No question...as already stated, D and Tow Haul.

This will also give you the advantage of "Grade Braking" which will take care of the "saving your brakes." deal.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
In town and the mountains, I select the gears. The thumb shifter makes it easy, and combined with the exhaust brake, much less wear on the service brakes.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
On the freeway and close to flat ground, just put it in Drive. In town, always tow/haul. Mountains, or anywhere it is hunting for a gear, tow/haul.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Leave it in D and use the tow haul mode. I pull a 14600 lb fifth wheel with the cruise set at 62 and let the truck do what it does best, pull. The only time I turn the tow haul mode off is if I'm going down a hill and then need to shoot back up another one. In tow haul with cruise on she'll down shift to keep speed. Just let your truck work, she's a towing beast.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer

Frostbitte
Explorer
Explorer
kaydeejay wrote:

Yep, I agree too. Leave it in D.
The only time I need to shift up or down is going down or up steep grades but even then it's rare I need to fiddle with anything.
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins 6-speed Auto 4.10
2004 Prowler 275 CKS (Sold)
2014 Sabre 36QBOK-7 5th wheel
2016 Forest River 8 x 20 Cargo Trailer

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.