cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eaz-lift Trekker trunnion movement

dmshaull
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple questions about the use of my Eaz-lift Trekker weight distributing hitch (part number 48703). I’ve had the hitch for about 2 1/2 years, and have not had any problems with it so far. (This is the only trailer/hitch I've used; our previous RV was a motorhome.)

1. After using the hitch recently, I forgot to loosen the activation caps before unhitching the trailer and storing the hitch. So I put the hitch back on the tow vehicle, did not hitch up the trailer, and went to loosen the activation caps. I found that on the left side, the trunnion (I think that is the correct name for the part that the spring bar goes into) would rotate through a wide range when loosening the activation cap. In the past the trunnion has only rotated 10 – 15 degrees while loosening or tightening the activation caps. The right side still acts that way. Is this normal behavior? If not, how do I correct it?

2. The instructions that I received with the hitch (purchased in 2018) say to tighten the activation caps to 100 ft-lb to engage the system. (The last page of this version of instructions is noted as 1007668R1.) I discovered that the instructions currently on the eaz-lift.com web site say to tighten the activation caps to 45 ft-lb. (The last page of this version is noted as 1007668R3.) Would tightening to the higher torque have damaged the hitch?

Thanks for any help.

Trailer is a 2012 Jayco Jayflight 26RLS
Tow vehicle is a 2013 Ford Expedition
4 REPLIES 4

dmshaull
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for not replying sooner.

At the same time as posting my original question, I had contacted the manufacturer's customer service / tech support. They said they were aware of the problem and eventually sent me a new hitch head. So I didn't actually try just tightening the Allen screws underneath.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Did it work?

dmshaull
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
There are adjusting screws on the bottom side. You can see them but stick the right size Allen wrench in it and snug them up.