cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric bikes !!

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lets talk about your electric bikes and what you think about them ! We have had our fat tire , twenty inch , folding bikes for two weeks and have been riding them 8 to 12 miles per day . We pedal constantly just because it feels right although I assume you can go on battery twenty some miles . We maintain 14 MPH pretty easily and with more throttle we can get up to twenty ! Our brand " Ecotric Dolphin " , about $ 850 . We like to wander around small towns and some time have to park far away , out in the boondocks because of the length of our rig , we hope this will lead to more exploring and some trail riding . We tend to always pedal and use the battery when these 77 year olde legs get tired ! What kind have ya got , do ya use them as much as ya think ya would ?
94 REPLIES 94

dedmiston
Lwiddis wrote:
E-bikes are fun and you can see a bunch but is that no or low exercise activity what is best for you vs. pedal power?

Eighteen days after the previous post, and you bumped the thread for this pearl of wisdom?

Do you even own an eBike?

I've pedaled over 2k miles on mine and they're amazing. But the pedal assist is just that: you're still pedaling, but it's a little easier (depending on the setting you select). I always leave mine on the lowest setting.

Pedal a bike for 50 miles and then tell me that it was no exercise.

Some day when the office opens again, I'll be back on the bike and train to get to work. They call it "last mile" commuting, except I pedal the first miles too to get to the local station.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
E-bikes are fun and you can see a bunch but is that no or low exercise activity what is best for you vs. pedal power?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
FlatBroke wrote:

If it wasnโ€™t for electric bikes, he would not have been able to do this with a manual bike.
He passed away last week at 98.

My condolences.

I hope that I live to be 98 and can stay as active as your dad.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II

If it wasnโ€™t for electric bikes, he would not have been able to do this with a manual bike.
He passed away last week at 98.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Some RVs have lost rear mounted bike racks when the bumper welds failed. Those rear ends get a ton of bouncing. With the added weight of e-bikes, it would be wise to have a good welding shop look at the rig and reinforce as needed. Save some worry and maybe some grief during trips.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
Land Yachters wrote:
While all of this ebike knowledge is watching this thread, I wanted to ask a related question. My wife and I have been on the road for the past 10 months or so and carry 2 regular bikes on a standard thule rack on the back of our toad. We want to get ebike for her but want to know how to handle rack for transportation. She has heavy Schwinn (around 40 lbs) that I hate to load on to rack, but wonder best rack for heavier ebike. We would get rid of her Schwinn so only need room for her ebike, maybe a trek Townie? and my Trek road bike.

Appreciate the input.

We use a tire-mounted Yamaha rack on back of toad for our regular bikes. Bike shop told me theyโ€™re only rated for about 35ibs each bike when he saw my ebike on it. We now use a Kuat 2 for the ebike mounted on a 2โ€ receiver; Thule makes a similar rack.

BTW, we bought two Moscow Plus mountain bikes. Great bikes but had to sell one and get a Rad City step-thru for my wife. Comfort getting on and off a bike is important, especially for feeling safe while riding.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

tensch
Explorer
Explorer
Some RV friends of ours just got a couple E-bikes. I call them "cheaters" to their faces, but deep down I'm just jealous!!

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
While all of this ebike knowledge is watching this thread, I wanted to ask a related question. My wife and I have been on the road for the past 10 months or so and carry 2 regular bikes on a standard thule rack on the back of our toad. We want to get ebike for her but want to know how to handle rack for transportation. She has heavy Schwinn (around 40 lbs) that I hate to load on to rack, but wonder best rack for heavier ebike. We would get rid of her Schwinn so only need room for her ebike, maybe a trek Townie? and my Trek road bike.

Appreciate the input.
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
This thread has me looking and it sounds like something I would enjoy.

But, I've never seen one around here and I wonder if they are legal on the local bike trails ???

The usually have a sign saying no motorized vehicles. Isn't this a motorized vehicle ?

Ebikes are rated in specific classes.
I ride a class 1 which is pedal assist " must be pedaling " and are allowed on our mtnbike trails in VA.
I'm sure each state will vary.

Warning: don't test ride an Ebike unless you're ready to write a check.....amazing.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt Colie , we bought our bikes from Amazon , Ecotric had a waiting list , Amazon was the same price and arrived in 4 days !

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
MRC54 wrote:
There is info online, some of it vague... But the consensus seems to be that Class 2 ebikes (pedal assist, throttle, 20mph max) are considered as normal bicycles. However, there are 5 states that consider any ebike as a motor vehicles.

My bike (Lectric) comes software limited to 20mph for this reason. With some software manipulation, top speed changes to 28mph.

Good to know.

MRC54
Explorer
Explorer
There is info online, some of it vague... But the consensus seems to be that Class 2 ebikes (pedal assist, throttle, 20mph max) are considered as normal bicycles. However, there are 5 states that consider any ebike as a motor vehicles.

My bike (Lectric) comes software limited to 20mph for this reason. With some software manipulation, top speed changes to 28mph.
2021 Keystone Alpine 3712KB
2009 Sierra 3500 DRW

Full timing starting May 1

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
This thread has me looking and it sounds like something I would enjoy.

But, I've never seen one around here and I wonder if they are legal on the local bike trails ???

The usually have a sign saying no motorized vehicles. Isn't this a motorized vehicle ?

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
How does he have Ecotric Dolphin folding 20" when the only thing offered on the site is Pre-order?

I have been looking. We have a pair of 20 folding bikes that live under the dinette most of the time. I am not sure if I should buy built for, of add and electric front wheel.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought 2 Pedego bikes. Not the cheapest, but does have a local dealer, which for us is worth it's weight in gold. For two asthmatics with bad knees they are a god send.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!