cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Bikes???

raychris1
Explorer
Explorer
The better half and I are looking at Electric Bikes. We have our Mountain bikes and they do a good job. We are getting close to retirement and are looking at electric bikes for campground use and trail riding. She is looking at a regular looking MB but with the extra electric power if we need it. I am concerned about the price and the possibility of theft if we leave them at the campground. We have looked at Specialized bikes but they start at around 2700 for the kind she likes. Any suggestions on brand would be helpful. Most of our bikes have been Specialized so we are kind of partial to them. We will be looking at the other major brands as well. We bought the standard foldup bikes at Camping World and we do not care for them.
Thanks
Ray
Ray and Chris
2022 Open Roads 26BH
2013 F-150
44 REPLIES 44

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
The one thing that could frustrate you is these bikes are very heavy. So the non power part of the ride may not be as enjoyable as you think. Assuming it is a trail that is not entirely flat. But try it out and see if it works for you. Cycling is very good for weight loss and easy on the joint providing you fit the bike correctly to your body. Good luck on your rehabilitation.

Mine is the heaviest one Rad Power Bikes make. I would have liked to have gotten a lighter bike but none of them had the weight rating above 300 lbs that I needed to carry me and a couple bags of groceries. It'll be mostly local neighborhood streets and sidewalks and maybe city parks. If i have to i can use the motor to get up to speed then take over pedaling, but I should be able to get up to speed on my own since it is has 7 speed gearing. I'm just mainly concerned about being able to get back home on the bicycle if I poop out and the knees can't take it any more.

It's also been 40 years since I last rode a bike, so for now there won't be any trail riding. It'll probably be a couple years before I'm back to camping again. In the next year I'll probably have both knees replaced and a turbinate reduction between both knee surgeries. I think I'm going to hate the turbinate reduction more than the knee surgeries. They are going to cut and grind bone away then remove the excess tissue covering the bone in my nasal cavities to open them up more so I can breathe better through my nose. They'll also fix my deviated septum while they're at it. Then it will be 2 weeks of sponges packed in my nostrils. Even though a can breathe partially through my nose I still wake up every morning with my mouth as dry as the Sahara Desert. As soon as my first knee heals ill be working on my enclosed utility trailer camper build so I can retire and live on the road full time. Thats why I figure it'll be about 2 years before I go camping again.

My dad had both has knees replaced 10 months apart and did pretty well. He was 68 when they did the first one. I'll be turning 60 when they do my first one.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Our friends bought a pair of foldable fat tire ebikes for $900 each.

They have had the most several months and used them several times weekly on long rides. Very happy.

Www.lectricebikes.com

I have one and really like it. They are good well-built bikes at an incredible price point, and the company has excellent customer service.

Bought the first production run of the Sondors Smart Step below, a foldable e-bike from one of the larger direct to consumer manufacturers. Parts are readily available which was an important consideration? Shipping was also included via UPS, and comes mostly assembled so was quick and straightforward. Though don't have enough miles yet to determine long term reliability?

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a RAD City in 2017 and a RAD City Step Thru in 2018. We love them, inexpensive and amazing customer service.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
For heavy people or people with bad backs/knee etc. the Day 6 semi recumbent bikes have bids rated for 400 pounds. Also large frames.

You can get either mid drive (motor on front crank) vs hub motor. Mid motor lets you use the gears powered by the motor. You can shift under motor power

The are not as heavy as they look.

Day 6 clicky
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
From the FS web page-

Where are e-bikes currently allowed on national forests and grasslands?

Class 1, 2, and 3 e-bikes and electric mountain bicycles (eMTBs) are allowed on approximately 60,000 miles or nearly 40 percent of trails on national forests and grasslands. These vehicles are also allowed on thousands of miles of roads on national forests and grasslands at maintenance level 2, 3, or 4.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/e-bikes
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
I bought a Powerwagon by Rad Power Bikes. I haven't used it yet but I plan on getting it out on the road this weekend. I bought it because it is the only one rated to carry over 270 pounds. It is rated for 350 pounds. Right now I am about 335 lbs wearing clothes. I believe all Rad Power Bikes are using 750mA motors. Lectric and other e-bikes are using 500mA motors.

I bought it because I have severe arthritis. Currently both my knees have bone against bone with bone spurs and no cartilage.

I ordered the bike before I was told that they will do a knee replacement on me. I was hoping to use it for exercise to help lose weight since walking has become an issue. My left knee is constantly swolen and I have to continually take prescription Anti-inflammatories and occasionally need pain killers which my primary doctor will no longer subscribe for me.

I've had cortisone shots ins both knees which have not given any relief and the orthopedic doctor said are not working. The orthopedic doctor put in with my insurance to get the artificial cartilage shot which the insurance will no authorize. So now we're going with the next option which is surgery as soon as I am medically cleared. I am hoping to get the replacement done on my left knee in September and the right one done by next spring.

In the mean time I plan on using the bicycle to work on losing weight which is why I originally bought it. My plan has been to use it to ride as far as I can and use the motor to return home if I can't pedal to get back home. If all goes well and I lose enough weight I plan on buying a folding e-bike by next summer. I am looking at getting a folding e-bike next by either Rad Power or Lectric.

I'm an avid cyclist who also has severe arthritis and I also have been completely bone on bone, in both knees, for the past 10 years. I've had a total of 7 knee surgeries, 4 on the left and 3 on the right. this is why I'm bone on bone.
But I'm very fortunate that I have very little pain. Stiffness and swelling, YES. The cortisone shots only work for a week or two.
I can still ride my mountain bike and road bike, even though I'm more limited.
Because I don't have enough pain to go with knee replacements, i choose to just continue to going forward until the pain level rises higher to force me to go with replacements.
I did fall in love with the Specialized Turbo Levo e-bike but paying $5000 and up for a new bike, just isn't doable. Right now, i wouldn't be happy with anything in a lower price and performance range.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
I bought a Powerwagon by Rad Power Bikes. I haven't used it yet but I plan on getting it out on the road this weekend. I bought it because it is the only one rated to carry over 270 pounds. It is rated for 350 pounds. Right now I am about 335 lbs wearing clothes. I believe all Rad Power Bikes are using 750mA motors. Lectric and other e-bikes are using 500mA motors.

I bought it because I have severe arthritis. Currently both my knees have bone against bone with bone spurs and no cartilage.

I ordered the bike before I was told that they will do a knee replacement on me. I was hoping to use it for exercise to help lose weight since walking has become an issue. My left knee is constantly swolen and I have to continually take prescription Anti-inflammatories and occasionally need pain killers which my primary doctor will no longer subscribe for me.

I've had cortisone shots ins both knees which have not given any relief and the orthopedic doctor said are not working. The orthopedic doctor put in with my insurance to get the artificial cartilage shot which the insurance will no authorize. So now we're going with the next option which is surgery as soon as I am medically cleared. I am hoping to get the replacement done on my left knee in September and the right one done by next spring.

In the mean time I plan on using the bicycle to work on losing weight which is why I originally bought it. My plan has been to use it to ride as far as I can and use the motor to return home if I can't pedal to get back home. If all goes well and I lose enough weight I plan on buying a folding e-bike by next summer. I am looking at getting a folding e-bike next by either Rad Power or Lectric.

The one thing that could frustrate you is these bikes are very heavy. So the non power part of the ride may not be as enjoyable as you think. Assuming it is a trail that is not entirely flat. But try it out and see if it works for you. Cycling is very good for weight loss and easy on the joint providing you fit the bike correctly to your body. Good luck on your rehabilitation.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Beleive it or not they make conversion kits.
Basically and electric powered FRONT wheel. the rear wheel is not affected so you can pedal assist.

I think you are trying to help. But that is not pedal assist and would not be allowed on trails that only allow pedal assist.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I've read all the posts and only one thing I can add. I watched a video on You Tube about a couple who who buying E bikes and one thing he said that made sense to me was if you are getting to the old age bracket like he was, You might want to look at getting a the frame known as a girls bike since you may have trouble getting your leg over the seat to mount the bike. it is easier to put your leg through the bike frame then over the seat. just my 2 cents here

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Beleive it or not they make conversion kits.
Basically and electric powered FRONT wheel. the rear wheel is not affected so you can pedal assist.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Literally, walk into any quality bike shop and ask these questions...
Not Dick's, not Walmark, not other big box, not some cheezy online game, a real bike shop. They can help and might have bikes you can see in person and ride.
Beware, the virus hoax has sold a lot of bikes, and I have heard many shops are out of bikes, the manufacturers are running out of bikes, and high-end bikes, incl e-bikes, are out. Depends, depends, depends... They build what they think they will sell for the year and a few more or a few less, and this year was a big sales year.
Go into a shop. Pointless asking on an RV forum, you will get someone who bought the cheapest hunk-of-junk e-bike and got ripped off yet thinks it is the greatest thing.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
One caveat is on National Forest e-bikes can only be used on trails open to motorized vehicles.
Yeah, I was thinking that most MTB trails are for non-motorized bikes. Not sure about most paved biking trails, like in an urban setting.

ebikes are in their infancy and a little tricky with respect to trail use and acceptance. Many trails ban any electric type bike while others are ok with pedal assist. Any bike with a throttle (not requiring pedaling) will most likely be relegated to motorized trails or multi-use paths at best.

If your intention is to ride actual mountain bike trails, I would only recommend pedal assist and even then your use will be limited. Personally, if I were to see an elderly person or couple on the trails with an ebike I would not say anything. It is the riders that are outside of their talent level and posing a problem for other trail users and themselves that is creating the friction.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
I've been an avid cyclist and part time bike mechanic for decades. I appreciate that E-Bikes keep people biking past a time or a different kind of riding rather than hang it up. They've come a long way. If you are brand loyal, Specialized makes a great bike. My wife has 2 of them. Most of the components are usually the same across your top tier brands so at that point it really does come down to brand loyalty. Many small manufacturers have come in as start ups and do E-bike specific models. However, in buying from a local shop, a familiar brand (like Specialized) offers support you may not get from a smaller start up. I encourage people to buy from local bike shops when possible and you reap rewards in service and support by doing so while helping local economy.

As far as theft, well, just like anything else, out of sight, out of mind and lock them up. No different really than any other bike. I have bikes that cost close to $5k. A thief, especially at a CG, likely can't tell it from a $300 wal Mart bike. E bikes are heavier and thus likely more difficult to put in a bin or secured somewhere inside. It's problem with all bikes really. There is a company out of Canada that makes a hitch mounted bike shed of sorts. Pretty cool but pricey.

Cheers and keep riding!
Can you or anyone recommend brands for a 71 year old lady? My mom wants an electric bike.

Last week i used my truck to help a lady buy an ebike. Was the TREX session. The first version. Sticker said $2500.

I rode it around her block. Got to say man that think shifted like junk. Everything felt so sloppy for such an expensive bike. Although i rarely ride bicycles, so i dont have that great of a baseline.

All i know is i told my mom the Trex Session wasnt all that great.