cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric brake clatter

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I was adjusting the rear brakes on a newly-acquired trailer over the weekend because they weren't doing anything.

As I started to adjust the brakes and tighten them down, I could hear a distinct clackety-clack noise once per revolution coming from the drums.

Sooner or later I'll pull them apart and see what's going on. Probably just put whole new brake assemblies on the rear axle.

Unfortunately I did not have the time, ambition, or parts to investigate further, but I'm curious as to what might be making the noise. Any ideas?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.
12 REPLIES 12

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
I plan on replacing the brakes on the rear axle in the spring anyway.

Anybody know who has a good price on 7000lb, 8-lug brake assemblies?

I have had very good luck dealing with Eastern Marine for many parts I have needed.
Brake assemblies
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:

etrailer. They beat local suppliers even with shipping.

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
The "once per revolution" sound would lead me to suspect something on the magnet armature face that is touching the magnet, once per rev.

It may be some rust or roughness on the surface. Regardless, don't take chances with your brakes. They usually aren't that great to begin with.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

remdog_1
Explorer
Explorer
Had same issue last year. When I pulled the suspect hub, the magnet was lying in bottom of drum. Scarred it so bad had to replace it, luckily wiring was ok, The clip for magnet was completely gone. I would check it out

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Yes, you can get clips. clips

I would NOT replace the brakes IF they are in good condition. If the drum surface has mated well with the magnet, it would be best to not disturb it. The brake friction material was better in the good old days.

What problems/symptoms would the missing clips cause? I suppose that the loose magnet might bounce around, hitting the drum interior surface.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:

As I started to adjust the brakes and tighten them down, I could hear a distinct clackety-clack noise once per revolution coming from the drums.

I should have responded to your problem, rather than mine.

On a recent trip my brakes on one wheel started to make a screeching noise. I took the TT to a mechanic and they found that the offending brake system was missing the magnet clip. The supposition was that the clip was caught between the shoe and drum and making the noise. There was a small, 1/4" diameter, piece missing from the leading edge of the rear shoe. The other side of that axle was also missing its clip.

Perhaps you have a loose clip making that noise.
Arctic Fox 25Y

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
wgriswold wrote:
I have two brakes with missing magnetic retainer clips and the mechanic said not to worry about it. I am worrying. Is that a problem? Can I get new clips?

Maybe I should just replace the brakes since they are 16 years old.

Yes, you can get clips. clips

I would NOT replace the brakes IF they are in good condition. If the drum surface has mated well with the magnet, it would be best to not disturb it. The brake friction material was better in the good old days.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer

It's the only way to go. You can buy new brake assemblies--backing plate, shoes, magnets, the works--for around $35 each.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
I have two brakes with missing magnetic retainer clips and the mechanic said not to worry about it. I am worrying. Is that a problem? Can I get new clips?

Arctic Fox 25Y

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a good idea to do it sooner. If it lets go while you're driving, you might end up on the side of the road with smoke rolling out from under your trailer from the loose parts binding inside the drum.
Been there, etc.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah.......
Loose/missing magnet wire clips
Loose actuating lever
Loose/missing brake shoe holddown springs/fasteners
Pieces of brake shoe