Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Brakes

Zeke5280
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

New here and hoping to get some help with brakes on my TT. We have a 2012 Outback 210 this being our second season with it, today while performing the annual lube on the wheel bearings (has EZ lube spindles) and brake adjustment I got a wild hair and decided to pull the wheels and inspect the brakes.

After pulling everything apart on the right side I discovered that the magnet on the front axle was not working but the rear axle was. I started tracing back the wire and discovered a broken wire at the connection behind the wheel on the left side of the front axle, I repaired the wire and still nothing on the front??? I then proceeded to pull apart the left side and discovered that the brake assembly on the left side of the front axle looked as though it was almost new and barely worn!

Grabbed my test light and started checking the brake wires and I believe I have a faulty ground somewhere as each wire throws the light. I believe the brakes are wired in series (blue and white wire back on the left side to the axles, splits with 2 wires to each axle and then splits again to right side). What I can't figure out is how the back axle is working but the front is not?
5 REPLIES 5

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Start at the feed for the brakes and go through and clean, solder, grease and heat shrink every connection. Where any wires attach to ground, cover the ground screw/bolt with grease. This is especially important if your rig sees much rain while traveling and critical if ever in salt or other ice control products.

When you start cleaning the connections watch for corrosion which has traveled up the wire. Look for any nicks or damage where corrosion has traveled up the wire and created high resistance. There are various electrical greases available. I was just under my rig yesterday and noticed how damp and greasy looking my grounds are over two years later.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
No, the brakes are NOT wired in series.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Easy Lube is not a substitute for removing and cleaning and properly greasing bearings and inspecting for wear... You also would likely have found thee brake problem.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Brakes should be wired in a star fashion, as in all the + are connected to the blue wire from the brake and all the grounds go to ground.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

forumcoach
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have a bad connector. Probably on the side the wires run down since neither front brake is working.