cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electronic equipment post winterization ?

WallynDiane
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fifth wheel permanently parked in Western NY. Winters there are brutal. 175-250" of snow and at times below zero temps.

I normally pull out my Samsung tv along with a Blu ray player and my Dish HD receiver box.

The tv is easy, but threading the power cords on both the.Blu ray and Dish box is a pain both in the fall and when we open back up in April.

For those who live in the frozen north, do you leave any electronics in your rig over winter?
6 REPLIES 6

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
I leave all electronics in the trailer all winter in Southern Ontario, so likely the same chilly weather. I do remove the batteries from all remotes and the indoor /outdoor thermometer and transmitter. Didn't do this the first winter, and batteries in the radio/dvd player remote went bad and leaked.:M Do you know how hard it is to get a replacement remote. Had to be ordered from factory.
#1 item on winterizing list is now batteries out of remotes!!
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Like others, I leave my TV and other electronic equipment in the MH during the winter. I never turn them on unless they have been well above freezing. Temperatures can be in the -30F range, but usually in the -10F range.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Devices with moving parts (dvd/bluray players) would benefit from moving to a warmer environment. They also last longer if you use them once in a while. I leave the TV and other various electronics in my trailer which is stored outdoors all winter in north Idaho, where I'm sure it gets just as cold.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I parked in southern MI for the first few winters with this RV, only two pieces of electronics have failed, (Well technically 3) and not one of those was due to cold.
One got wet
The other two old age (one was way older than the RV by ate least a decade)

Without power there is very little that can not survive 30-40 below your choice of C or F.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
You are wasting your time and energy. All of those items would be fine to temps much lower than that as long as they're not used.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I know most Mfg's have a low temperature rating somewhere around 0f but I've left electronics at ambient through a Minnesota Winter or even a few Winters and I've never had anything fail.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton