cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

emergencies

mizdiny
Explorer
Explorer
We usually camp in pretty much the same places each year. So, awhile back, I looked up on the internet, where the emergency rooms, or urgent cares were located near our frequently used camping spots. I put this in our pickup so it would always be close by, in the event one of us was ill or injured enough to want a dr. but not call 911.
21 REPLIES 21

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the OPer was talking about the simple, non-life threatening "emergencies". I know her and I know she knows when to get to the hospital and when to call 911. Others here are correct, here in Oregon there are places where cell phones (smart or dumb) do NOT work. Also places where the satellite connections don't work. I think the advice is good, and will be doing that same thing in the future -- figuring out where the hospitals are and the emergency clinics. Thanks MizDiny
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pool wrote:
Anyone use SPOT emergency locator? If out of range they can send a helicopter

I have looked into SPOT for use while out in the back country and it's a great tool if nothing else is available, but you may be waiting a long time for help with one of these. Only use this if nothing else is available. They may take a while trying to determine if it's a real emergency before they start launching helicopters to find you.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
i can say that knowing what is nearby is important.

while in Baton Rouge with my parents, had to call 911 for assistance. First concern was convincing the operator that the EMT's could find us in the park.. she didn't know the park had camping. One of the things we were asked was which hospital we wanted to them to transport my dad to. I was unsure, but thankfully the park folks came and gave us some advice.

A year or so later, my dad had the same situation arise; however we were in the middle of nowhere. We knew EMT's were at least 20 miles away by 2 lane road, so we decided to drive out. We were able to get to a hospital 50 miles away in much less time that if we had to wait on EMT's to arrive in St Park, get through the locked gate and then make the 50 mile trip to a hospital. I drove and my mom could check on my dad occasionally. Yep, the hospital ER staff remembers my dad as the man who was delivered by MH.

Now I try to check where ER's or towns with hospitals are when I travel, especially since I tend to stay in state parks in rural areas. I don't panic but it is nice to know which direction to go when someone is sick or injured.

Just a note to your comment here, yes the EMT's would have also had to drive dad to the hospital, but the EMT's (or hopefully paramedics) also have the ability to do a lot of treatment right there. I see and heard of people make this mistake often. They are 20 minutes from the hospital so they think they can get a person to the hospital faster than waiting for an ambulance so off they go and the person dies in the backseat that could have been saved by the paramedics who would have stabilized them before transport.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
We camp at an event that is close to 90 miles from the nearest emergency care by road in a very rural area. It is about the same distance by air to the nearest trauma center. The event organizers carry a sat phone and there is cell service now.

There are notices at local businesses in the nearby little town from the Sheriff stating that it will take a minimum of 45 minutes to get emergency help. Even a helicopter will take 45 minutes or more. If you are sick enough to need an ambulance ride to the hospital there is a good chance you'll be getting a helicopter ride. (I should check if my insurance would cover a helicopter.)

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I was fortunate many years ago my profession required me to certify as an EMT and that training never goes away. I still carry my emergency bag in my truck and we also have a top flight first aid kit in our MH. We check it every season to make sure it's up to date. DW is also certified in CPR just in case we're the only one's available for any emergency and each other is all we (or somebody else)has to depend on till the pros can arrive. :B

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Only issue with the emergency pagers like the SPOT... make -sure- you can get some type of insurance coverage with them, because some rescues can charge by the foot, and the insurance with the emergency device is fairly cheap.

I know in Oregon, you can get a yearly membership to their helicopter rescue organization, so if one needs it, it won't cost them, as opposed to having to pay five digits for the heli's operation costs.

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
in the event one of us was ill or injured enough to want a dr. but not call 911.

Popsie, the OP is suggesting this when it's a non-911 situation. This is for the sprained ankle/bad sore throat type of thing. No sense in tying up EMT personnel when it's not an emergency.

Even though the campground personnel can tell you, if it's at an odd-ball time of day or if you are away from the cg, this type of information can be very useful (I speak from experience). Most of the campgrounds we've stayed at list this info on their handouts but a little pre-research is a great idea.
We are in agreement, I said if it is an emergency.

However, back in the day, it wasn't unusual to have someone die from a heart attack because they didn't think their symptoms were serious enough. I still think it's better to err on the side of caution.

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
My kids gave us one of these.

http://ca.binnacle.com/EPIRB-&-Personal-Locator-Beacons-(PLBs)/c108/p8914/ACR-ResQLink-NON-FLOATING-...
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

scarpi
Explorer
Explorer
Besides knowing if there are emergency services for humans near where you are staying, I always locate a local animal hospital or vet for my dog in case she has a problem. I bring the pertinent phone numbers with us and maps to locate them. Just my two cents.

Pool
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use SPOT emergency locator? If out of range they can send a helicopter

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Still a good idea to know first aid principles for when you are out of contact with emergency services. Red Cross sponsors some good classes and RVers should attend one of these when possible, the life you save, or the aid and comfort that you can give are worth every minute. There are many places where 911 calls can't be made due to remoteness of location. A well stocked first aid kit is something to pack along too. You may be the first person to encounter an accident scene or personal injury to a fellow camper.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Popsie wrote:
As a former EMT, if you have a medical emergency, dial 911 !!!

As a former guy who answered that phone number. I SECOND Popsie's recommendation.

Fact: They did a study on, as I recall, heart attack victims. The study was looking at "The first phone call"

Those where 9-1-1 was the first call... had a much greater tendency to live than those where they called the doctor or some other 10 digit number.

Dial 9-1-1 Let the most important part of the hospital come to you. Much faster, Much better.

Now, Walk-in and urgent (non emergency) care centers... Good idea to know where they hide. Very good idea.. but for genuine emergency, 9-1-1.

True story: Kid called 9-1-1 Told me he was not feeling well (he got that right) and was trying to get himself to hospital.. he described his symptoms ending with "It can't be my heart I'm only 27".. I 3-wayed with EMS, talked him into a parking lot so he car would be safe, EMS sent the cardiac care unit and got him hooked up to monitors (AND if needed defibulators) in time. Oh, it was his heart.

Now he lived.. WHY because he called me (9-1-1) had he kept trying to get to the ER he may well have died and taken someone else with him.

Of course not all my war stories have such a nice ending.

But when one of my co-workers stood up and shouted "THE BABY'S TURNING BLUE" I took over for the EMT Instructor who was on Radio.. last sound on the tape is the baby crying. and a lovelier sound I have never heard.. Cause one thing I know about a baby crying.. He is not turning blue any more. he is turning a much more natural color.

Sue (The instructor) taught the parents a crash course in infant CPR over the phone.. That is not something your car can do for you.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sele
Explorer
Explorer
We always know where er urgent care is located then make the decision about 911. My decisions are easy the dw has been a nurse for 25 years I just go with the flow.
scott

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Call 911?
What if there is no cell service, and no land line within 10 or 20 miles?
In spite of what your carrier would like you to believe, there are vast areas of the country where your cell phone is completely useless (unless it can connect via satellite). You just might have to take care of the "emergency" yourself, at least until you can get where you have service.
Be prepared!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"