cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

End of the year wrap up... So how was 2017?

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inspired by a similar thread over on the Harley Davidson Forum I thought this might be a good time to throw it out here...

Winter is fast approaching and for much of the country, the time to put the RV's to bed for a long winter's nap is fast approaching if not already on scene. I would like to express my sincere condolences to all who live in areas that require shutting down your RV for a number of months.
Living in southern Arizona we can RV year round.... OK, it's actually fun about 350 days a year. ๐Ÿ˜‰

For us 2017 was the best year ever. We made 14 trips totalling nearly 20,000 miles. We towed my Harley Super Glide on a Kendon single trailer for most of them. This gives us the opportunity to ride some of the finest bike roads in America and return every afternoon to all of the comforts of home found in our Nexus 24' Class C. Frankly, the Harley makes a pretty decent Toad though at 24' we really don't "need" one.

Our three long trips included 2 weeks {April} in Utah {Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon} and two, 2-week trips {July and August} to the southern Rockies {Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Norwood, Telluride, Cortez, Pagosa Springs, Taos, Angel Fire, Red River, Questa etc..}

We also found time to do Quartzsite, Laughlin, Oatman and Vegas all in one trip {January} to start the year off right. Did subsequent trips to Cottonwood {Jerome, Sedona, Camp Verde} and Flagstaff (Snow Bowl, Grand Canyon, Williams and even Meteor Crater}. We did two more trips to the White Mountains {Big Lake at 9,200'} and Mogollon Rim {Canyon point at 7,700'} to break up the summer heat of Tucson.

One bike trip to San Diego to take the Advance Rider Skills Course and three by car to deal with family business and then rounded out the year with a 1,800 mile run last week to San Antonio to visit friends {former neighbors} and play a little golf.

Happy to report zero, none, zip, nada problems on any of our travels. Nothing but nice folks and incredible scenery. I'm thinking this is why we all RV... am I wrong here? {I didn't 't think so}. :W

So how about it, how was your 2017? I hope you all had as much fun as we did and if not there is always next year. Like the man said...

"Get your motor running, head out on the highway, looking for adventure, in whatever comes our way... {you know the rest}

:B
50 REPLIES 50

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
What a GREAT topic! Today, all we hear about is crooked politicians, horrible incidents, and the latest--groping.
This year was our trip of the lifetime--Alaska. We had to return a little early, but spent almost two months on this trip. What a fun time! The rig went to the shop (not for anything connected with the Alaskan trip) for three months and we're winterized already, but plans are in the works for 2018.
We have to head to Florida this winter to work on storm damage and it's going to be to cold to de-winterize the rig, and I'm not looking forward on hauling it in bad weather. We don't look forward to spending nights in motels after the comfort of our RV.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
mt1729 wrote:
It hasn't been my best year. My brother told me to cheer up things could always be worse. So I tried to put my troubles behind me and cheer up and sure enough things got worse.

:B I was gonna give you a โ€œthumbs-upโ€....but couldnโ€™t find icon!

Always remember, inside every silver lining...is a dark cloud!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
It hasn't been my best year. My brother told me to cheer up things could always be worse. So I tried to put my troubles behind me and cheer up and sure enough things got worse.
Moose

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
RideSlow wrote:
We always have as many weekender trips as possible, but did a run to Southern Utah, to meet some friends, and ride some National Parks and Monuments. Over 550 miles on the Harley, and over 2000 miles on the PU/TH. We had a wonderful time, and my lovely bride of 45 years said, it's time to get a new bike. Added a 2017 Ultra Limited at the end of October, she really likes going out on that. Going out camping tomorrow for a few days, just a getaway before the holidays fall on us.

Very nice!

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
First year of retirement, lots of miles (15, 000 miles from May 1st and August 31st) on the road.... but very little for โ€œpureโ€ pleasure with RV! Trip to/from Baton Rouge area ( mixed reasons), trip to Metropolis, Illinois ( bought a tractor... no RV), 2 trips to Mesa,Az. ( new FlexArmor roof on 5er), trip to Soap Lake, Wa. ( purchase a used class c ), and just returned from 3 weeks boondocking in the mountains close to home(elk hunting). One more trip planned.... โ€œde-winterizeโ€ the class c, for a Christmas trip to visit kids/grandkids. And maybe an ice fishing trip or two. I guess weโ€™ll find out โ€œhow wellโ€ the class c will handle cold (zero and/or below) temperatures! Not an exciting year, but โ€œIFโ€ we get caught-up with all(some) of the home projects.... maybe a few more โ€œpleasureโ€ trips in 2018. Maybe that Alaska trip that weโ€™ve dreamed of!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fun thread to read on how everyone is doing ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Medium time this year.
Due to mother-in-laws surgery and illness etc. we had to cancel 2 major beach trips. That was a blow (but MIL came thru all this mess fine) but we sure had a hard time cancelling these biggie trips in our hearts!

Then our planned smaller trips we do on the fly seemed to not happen as much as we were dealing with MIL and problems etc. so this camping year was a shorty compared to normal years when things flow well and people are healthy.

Best part of this year, day after Christmas I booked 7 days over New Years at the beach ๐Ÿ™‚ We tried to squish in one more trip since we lost so many this year. Only thing we can do now is pray weather is decent.

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
We always have as many weekender trips as possible, but did a run to Southern Utah, to meet some friends, and ride some National Parks and Monuments. Over 550 miles on the Harley, and over 2000 miles on the PU/TH. We had a wonderful time, and my lovely bride of 45 years said, it's time to get a new bike. Added a 2017 Ultra Limited at the end of October, she really likes going out on that. Going out camping tomorrow for a few days, just a getaway before the holidays fall on us.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, we only managed to get one trip in this year, but it was 120 days long home door to home door & put 10,500 miles on the truck

We got off to a late start early in July due to being involved with the 35th Americas Cup yacht racing hosted this year for 5 weeks in Bermuda. That was some 26 duty days on the water as a spectator marshal keeping people off the race course.

The RV trip took us from MD to Finger Lake/Erie Canal region of NY, west to Detroit for the Ford Museum, into Canada to Georgian Bay, Ottawa & a bluegrass festival near the St Lawrence 1000 islands region. Next was the full length of I81 with stops for 2 more bluegrass festivals then a turn to the west, all the way to Boulder, CO then south to CO Springs & onward to Albuquerque for the Hot Air Balloon Fiesta. After that it was back across the country to MD a couple weeks of not much & into storage for the winter.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
After 10 years of retirement I'm still doing it. Each and every day is flying by. All the grandkids are on the right path, and doing great. Got a new great grandson even, and the bill collector still can't find me.

For me RV'ing is coming to an end I think. I'll drag the 5'ver down south in a week and see how it goes from there. Maybe it'll end up staying there, or maybe I'll just say what the heck "dale gas."
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It might be cold, but we're not done yet.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Every April my boys tag with me for our yearly camping/fishing trip here in CT. May & June was no camping with work around the house and we had to cancel one trip the MD this June because of problems with my Tacoma Hitch and a graduation. Our August big trip was a 2+ week trip to PEI, Nova Scotia and Bay of Fundy National Park in New Brunswick for our 30th. (Were still relatively young ) Did a July trip to PA, Knoebels and NY, Letchworth state park. We did a September trip to Cape Cod at Atlantic Oaks. Went again to PA for Columbus day weekend and visited the Amish, stayed at Flory's

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tiger4X4RV;

Thank you. I try and post threads that will be of value to others in terms of interesting, entertaining and hopefully, useful information. I am so lucky to live here in Tucson and be retired. My bride and get to take a lot of trips that others simply cannot do... and we can take them year round. Life is good!

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
Not good. But, I'm not really a negative person.

Sorry to hear, hopping next year you get some traveling in! :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
The year isn't over yet. It's only November. So far so good for the Tiger and me. Approaching 100 nights of camping this year, not bad for someone who isn't full-time. I'm so happy to be able to travel again after a couple of really bad years of health issues and general life issues.

Desert Captain, I always appreciate your interesting and encouraging posts.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Sounds like you had a great season. Next year when you need to cool down come to the Northwest for a visit and a change of scenery. We also have some great riding roads."

This was the first year in the last 5 that we did not get up to visit our friends in the Gold country {Nevada City/Grass Valley} usually for a couple of weeks in September. We have done the rest of northern California and coast of Oregon a couple of times but Washington still awaits our first visit.

You are certainly right about a lot of great bike roads up that way, can't wait to get back hopefully next spring as we have a cross-country trip back to Massachusets in August/September to attend my bride's 50th high school reunion. We did a similar trip 3 years ago, 22 states, 7,800 miles spread over two months and had a blast. We will be looking for some new ground to explore but hey, it's all good!