cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Enhancing RV security

et_cetera
Explorer
Explorer
First of all, I am not retired and not even close to retirement age, I both work and full-time and thus leave my RV unattended for 8-10 hours at a time. This makes it a considerably easier target than a RV that is occupied by someone and the schedule is not predictable.

Thus security is the most serious concern. Not that I have anything really valuable, nothing beyond a computer and similar hardware but I would hate to lose the few things I have.

I am in the process of buying something and when the deal is finalized, when I finally take possession, I am going to take a number of steps to harden the security profile. First thing that comes to mind, beyond an alarm, is a motion camera, IP-based. Then a kill switch so the whole thing does not get stolen. There has to be a lot more one can do to harden the target, multiple layers of security. Investing several thousand in it seems like a smart idea.

One of these GPS trackers is not out of the question, in case it does get stolen.

It's the age we live in, crime seems to go up everywhere, economic times are uncertain.
18 REPLIES 18

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Its a "RV" with paper thin walls doors and windows, there is no such thing as "security".

You can spend many thousands on cameras, GPS tracking, alarms but all that does is deter causal petty thieves.. Professional thieves if they want it, it will be gone without a trace in a matter of a few minutes They might even be kind enough to leave your security devices behind.

Keep your insurance policy paid up to date and your things can be replaced.

Better to seek less seedy areas to stay at.

Most campers work on the Honor and good neighbor system in campgrounds.

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
All of my friends think my German Shepherd Dog is pretty effective.

When they knock on the door, they stand to the side. Just in case.

You canโ€™t leave a dog unattended in an RV for 10 hours!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of my friends think my German Shepherd Dog is pretty effective.

When they knock on the door, they stand to the side. Just in case.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You bring up some very good points.
Iโ€™m sure your methods or additions will be very useful to many trying to increase security.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold