cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Excessive propane usage

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
I had one of my propane tanks go empty. There was a faint smell of propane when I opened the door to take it out for refill. I turned the knob to the other tank and made sure I had propane flowing. After two weeks without using the propane except for the stove, that tank went empty and again the smell of propane. Is it possible I have a leak somewhere and if so how do I find it?
2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK
10 REPLIES 10

Dr__Blake
Explorer
Explorer
A friends RV had a break in the line under the trailer itself. When the factory installed the line and the claps holding it in place they by accident set it up so it was binding. I guess enough time on the road the metal fatiqued and cracked at one of the joins. It was leaking out of the crack and drained to tanks fairly quickly. Replaced the broken line and made sure to fix the binding and he has had no other issues I am aware of.

Might be worth checking under the trailer...
2013 GMC 3500HD Diesel Denali
2019 Outdoors RV 28BHS
Sold - 2012 Arctic Fox 25S
Alberta Canada

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 CrewMax (Sold - I loved this truck)

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Since it drained both tanks, sounds like the regulator to me. Mine acted just like that when it went bad.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
I moved the hose a little bit and I heard the hiss and the bubbles showed up.

When checking for leaks, this is a good practice. While soaping each connection, wiggle hoses and look for bubbles. Also wiggle the hoses that attach to the regulator while soaping the regulator.

Since you smelled something, you DO have a leak. That is why they put the smelling agent into the propane. You just need to find the leak.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with my tanks, turned out it was the short hose that was leaking. the leak was right at the crimp strap on the hose, you couldn't see it but the soap finally found it. by that I mean I put soap on it and no bubbles, I moved the hose a little bit and I heard the hiss and the bubbles showed up.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
I used soapy water to check for leaks until I bought a bottle of leak detector form an RV store many years ago. Does a better job in my opinion.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, a pretty big leak.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, different situation but had to replace regulator this year due to leaking. Smelled gas coming from under MH.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
past-MIdirector wrote:
Check your regulator for leakage usually the most come problem and line connections.

Those regulators do go bad. They are after all just basically a rubber diaphragm with a spring pushing on it. The rubber gets stiff and cracks after enough years.

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
Check your regulator for leakage usually the most come problem and line connections.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Spray bottle filles with a mixture of liquid soap and water. Spray it on everything liberally and look for bubbles. Bubbles tells you of a leak.