cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Expedition Towing Camper

Drought_Buster
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this question in the Tow Vehicle forum as well, but after looking through this forum thought this might be the more appropriate place.

I am considering a new travel trailer. It is 31 feet long with a dry weight of 6,544 lbs and a carrying capacity of 2,256 lbs, for a maximum combined weight of 8,800 lbs. The hitch weight (I assume that is tongue weight) is listed at 835 lbs.

I drive a 2019 Ford Expedition with a towing capacity of 9,200 lbs and a receiver capacity of 930 lbs. I will be purchasing a good quality weight distribution hitch.

Although the camper is within the limits Ford provides for my vehicle, there is not a lot of room for error. So my question is whether this camper leaves me enough cushion to feel comfortable? Would you buy this camper and tow it with this truck?
Drought Buster

2010 Montana High Country 333DB
Reese 16K Slider Hitch
Ford Super Duty Integrated Brake Controller
F250 Super Duty, V-10, 4.10 Axle Ratio
1 wife; 2 kids; 1 dog; 1 cat; 1 rabbit; 2 fish; 2 guinea pigs
30 REPLIES 30

tjschaefer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on my second Expedition and pull a 28 ft Jayco 6500#. Although I am currently satisfied with my setup, I would opt for a lighter trailer or bigger tow vehicle if I were you. I agree with prior post, yes it will tow it but there is a lot to be said for towing comfortably. I wouldn't feel comfortable on the edge as you state

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No problem!
If it were me, Iโ€™d take a drive with the Expe and see how you like it. Then if you donโ€™t need the 350, you donโ€™t need it.
While Iโ€™m not one of the weight cop guys on here, thereโ€™s nothing wrong with overkill to an extent and a 350 srw truck is not that overkill.
Plus look at it this way. Depending how much $ and depreciation is a concern, putting the hard miles and wear n tear on the pickup will depreciate it less than the new Expe.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Drought_Buster
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
V10 should show little to no wear n tear at those miles either. They're one of the more bulletproof engines out there.
On your weight question, weight X distance = weight X distance.
IE if you load 100 lbs on the tongue, 10' from center of axles you have to load 200lbs on the rear 5' from Center of axles to offset 100%.
Expe will still tow it easily. F350 will handle it like its not back there.

Thanks Grit Dog. Very helpful. Understanding physics is a wonderful thing. My 17 year old so was explaining to his English major dad the same concept last night. Have a great day.
Drought Buster

Reese 16K Slider Hitch

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
V10 should show little to no wear n tear at those miles either. They're one of the more bulletproof engines out there.
On your weight question, weight X distance = weight X distance.
IE if you load 100 lbs on the tongue, 10' from center of axles you have to load 200lbs on the rear 5' from Center of axles to offset 100%.
Expe will still tow it easily. F350 will handle it like its not back there.

Drought_Buster
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the 6.4. I have the 6.8L SEFI V10.
Drought Buster

Reese 16K Slider Hitch

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BarneyS wrote:
I traded my 2002 F250 7.3PSD a few years ago with over 350,000 miles on it, mostly towing miles, and it still ran like new and looked like new.
They can last if you take care of them.
Barney

If he had a 7.3 with 80k on it Iโ€™d say keep it, or sell it for too much money and walk away laughing. Presuming 11 years old is a 1st year 6.4, the OP should be wary of it. Different story if he was a diesel head.
Iโ€™d get as much as I could for the 6.4 and tow with the Expy at that weight.

Drought_Buster
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
That would be true if the front and back storage places were exactly the same distance from the fulcrum, which is usually midway between the two axles. That is not the case in most travel trailers or 5th wheels.
In your example, I would guess that the weight put in the front compartment would not be completely offset but only partially. In fact, 10lbs would probably have no measurable effect at all.

Think of a teeter totter. The point where the board rests on the support is the fulcrum which would correspond to the mid point between the trailer axles. The places where kids (or adults! :W) sit would correspond to the two storage compartments.
Barney

Very, very helpful. Although I did not articulate my question perfectly, your answer tells me I am directionally correct. If I add 100 lbs to the very front and 100 lbs to the very back, the tongue weight would probably increase, but not by the full 100.

We found a trailer with a GVWR of 7400 and a dry tongue weight of 572 lbs and are headed out to look at it. I think I can tow that one based on the advice I have gotten here. Thanks all.
Drought Buster

Reese 16K Slider Hitch

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
That would be true if the front and back storage places were exactly the same distance from the fulcrum, which is usually midway between the two axles. That is not the case in most travel trailers or 5th wheels.
In your example, I would guess that the weight put in the front compartment would not be completely offset but only partially. In fact, 10lbs would probably have no measurable effect at all.

Think of a teeter totter. The point where the board rests on the support is the fulcrum which would correspond to the mid point between the trailer axles. The places where kids (or adults! :W) sit would correspond to the two storage compartments.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Drought_Buster
Explorer
Explorer
You guys have been great and this has been very helpful. One last question from the non-tech guy. Is it true, or at least directionaly true, that I don't need to consider every pound I put in the front storage compartment as a direct offset to my tongue weight allowance because adding weight in the back of the trailer will offset the weight added in the front? In other words, everything else being equal, if I load ten pounds of weight in the front storage compartment and ten pounds of weight behind the axles, will it offset such that the tongue weight will not go up by ten pounds?
Drought Buster

Reese 16K Slider Hitch

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am on Barney's team.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I traded my 2002 F250 7.3PSD a few years ago with over 350,000 miles on it, mostly towing miles, and it still ran like new and looked like new.
They can last if you take care of them.
Barney
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Drought Buster wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
The new expy will tow it fine.
80k miles on your Suoer Duty and youโ€™re not sure how long itโ€™s going to last?? Lol

I get what you are saying. Obviously I am not a tech type guy (if you knew me it would be much more obvious), but its not the mileage that concerns me (I realize it is very low for a truck this age), it is the fact that its 11 years old and has been towing a 12,000lbs fifth wheel the whole time (its just about the only thing I use it for). Worried things will start to go wrong and wouldn't want to have that happen while on a trip.

Unless you beat on the thing your truck should be fine for quite awhile. 10 years isn't that old for a modern truck, or even a Ford, and 80,000 miles is low for that age.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hard time believing anything a car or RV dealer/salesman has to say about towing.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your dealer is blowing smoke! The WD hitch does NOT reduce the tongue weight. All it does is move some of the weight off of the rear axle and moves it back to the front axle and some back to the trailer axles. This does not change the tongue weight at all. It stays the same and if it is too light to begin with the trailer will have a tendency to sway. If too heavy you could break things on the tow vehicle. The WD hitch's main job is to restore the weight back to the front axle of the truck that was removed when you put the tongue weight on the ball that is located some distance behind the rear axle (think fulcrum)

Take a look and study the first post in this thread for information on how a WD hitch works so you will be armed to let that dealers salesman know he doesn't know what he is talking about. All he is interested in is selling you a vehicle.
Barney
Not towing now.