Explorer
Is this trailer towable with my truck?

Truck Specs: (from truck stickers)

2016 F-150 w/ 5.0 V8 157” Wheel Base

Payload 1,677
GVWR: 7,050
Front: 3,600
Rear: 3,800

** will be adding rear inflatable tow bags and using a high end weight distribution/anti-sway hitch system.

Trailer Specs;

Dry Weight: 5,320
GVWR: 7,565
Payload: 2,560
Hitch: 565
Length: 29’ (bumper to tongue)
20 REPLIES 20

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Can you tow it and the perception of how hard the engine and tranny are working while doing it are two different questions. Will it be extreme down shifting and engine revs every time you reach a moderate incline versus minimal shifting and a minor increase in rpms that impact your comfort level while doing it. The tow numbers answer one question while subjective experience answers the other.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd do it and not thing about it... After I got the WD hitch dialed in. These newer half ton trucks are very capable. Likely to put a smile on your face. don't forget to air up your tires to Max PSI.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks good. the trailer will likely be 6500lb loaded, that would be approx. 800lbs loaded hitch weight. For the truck that would leave you 900lbs for the hitch, stuff and people.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Seems doable. The question is, will you like it. I've found my older 150 to a very capable truck, but I run near my limits almost every time I go out, and I'm weary of the entrance ramp two-step. I long for more power. Not handling, braking or stability. Just plain old torque. I'm going to guess you may be in the same boat.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Bigdawgwill44
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Your trailer is at what I consider the absolute max for MY truck. I went with a 6000# GVWR trailer so I would have some cushion in the truck capabilities. That way, it shouldn't struggle in the Rockies.

Your truck should work, but it may not be fun at high altitude and steep slopes.

We should be around 6,500 lbs. with everything we will load in the truck. We will never run with full grey or black tanks as we will dump at the campgrounds. The only heavy items we might bring would be bicycles and a generator.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your trailer is at what I consider the absolute max for MY truck. I went with a 6000# GVWR trailer so I would have some cushion in the truck capabilities. That way, it shouldn't struggle in the Rockies.

Your truck should work, but it may not be fun at high altitude and steep slopes.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The listed hitch weight is a fantasy, it'll be closer to 800-900# when you're loaded for camping. But the truck should be OK to tow it.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yup, 1/2 tons can do a lot these days, even while staying under most ratings. They will even work short term, over most ratings! The question is....will it break, sitting on side of the road?? IMO, likely not, IF the operator uses common sense.

Jerry

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like a good match to me.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree with Terryallan, air bags not needed. Your high quality WDH, with sway control will do the job. Your truck can pull it, but as others mentioned, don't overload the rear axle. At 3,800 lbs rating, the loaded to camp tongue wt, plus hitch, plus anything in truck bed, will be putting you near that rating.

Jerry

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bigdawgwill44 wrote:
Is this trailer towable with my truck?

Truck Specs: (from truck stickers)

2016 F-150 w/ 5.0 V8 157” Wheel Base

Payload 1,677
GVWR: 7,050
Front: 3,600
Rear: 3,800

** will be adding rear inflatable tow bags and using a high end weight distribution/anti-sway hitch system.

Trailer Specs;

Dry Weight: 5,320
GVWR: 7,565
Payload: 2,560
Hitch: 565
Length: 29’ (bumper to tongue)

You are good to go. A 3.73 would be better. But the 3.55 will do you a good job. And as mentioned. Once you get the WDH dialed in. You won't need air bags. They aren't much help with a TT anyway. Only the WDH will return control to the steering axle. Air bags won't.

You tow ratings are in your manual. Go to the towing section, and find the engine with the axle ratio, and cab configuration you have. It is all right there. I'm guessing your tow cap is in the 8500 lb range. More than enough for that trailer.

I would suggest you turn off OD. For me I just turn off 6th gear. It will try to go into it, and will just lug the engine. The 5.0 is a strong motor, and loves to rev. So let it, and don't be bothered by the sound of you motor working. It is in it's happy place.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Keep the cargo in the truck to a minimum...you look to be OK but at the limits of the capability.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. Looks like a good match, but I certainly wouldn't go any heavier, or haul anything heavy in the bed at the same time.

Before you add airbags, make sure you get the weight-distribution hitch dialed in. By the time you get enough weight restored to the front axle, you'll probably find the truck rides level anyways, since empty they sit so high in the back.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Bigdawgwill44
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:

Do you not have a copy of the window sticker?
If not, you can print a copy using the VIN.

Use the 2016 Ford Towing guide to figure what you can tow. Since you didn't post 4x2 or 4x4 nor rear end ratio nor other equipment info, your truck's towing capacity could be as low as 6900lbs or as high as 10600lbs.

Your payload capacity should be enough as long as you don't have a lot of aftermarket stuff in the truck, like a topper.

I do have the original window sticker. It is a 4x4 with 3.55 gears. The towing guide says 14,500 gvcwr. The sticker says I have the 7,050 gvwr package.