cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Filling the water tank while on the road

dpkimmel2001
Explorer
Explorer
So far every place that I've ever 'dry camped', they've always had a place that I could fill when I arrived. In a couple weeks I'll be heading to a place that doesn't have that option. I don't want to tow the extra weight for the entire trip. I want to fill close to my destination point. Do truck plaza's have water available at the diesel islands? I'm just looking for any options. I know many Flying J's have a RV island but the one closest to my destination does not.
2013 Raptor 300MP
2008 GMC 2500 6.6 DMax SuperCrew
23 REPLIES 23

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
dpkimmel2001 wrote:
Thanks for those that really replied to the actual question that I had.

As far as why I don't want to fill up for the duration of this long haul..... I'd rather not tow the extra 1000lbs if it's not necessary but thanks for all of the advise.

Prior to purchasing my diesel pusher I had a gas class A. The water tank was under the bed right at the back of the motorhome. That means 800 pounds of water behind the axle. A full tank versus an empty tank was very noticeable in how the motorhome handled. A full water tank with some crosswinds and it was not comfortable to drive. I rarely traveled with a full water tank.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had no clue your trailer carried about 120 gallons of fresh water when completely filled.

dpkimmel2001 wrote:

As far as why I don't want to fill up for the duration of this long haul..... I'd rather not tow the extra 1000lbs if it's not necessary but thanks for all of the advise.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

dpkimmel2001
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Raptor 300MP
2008 GMC 2500 6.6 DMax SuperCrew

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not fillup at home? I'm still not sure why folks run empty until they get to their destination. What if you need to use the "facilities" on the way?

And if you're so close to the GVWR, that several gallons of water will put you over the top, I believe you have larger problems than whether fresh water will be available at your destination.

dpkimmel2001 wrote:
So far every place that I've ever 'dry camped', they've always had a place that I could fill when I arrived. In a couple weeks I'll be heading to a place that doesn't have that option. I don't want to tow the extra weight for the entire trip. I want to fill close to my destination point. Do truck plaza's have water available at the diesel islands? I'm just looking for any options. I know many Flying J's have a RV island but the one closest to my destination does not.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
You will use more gas stopping to fill the water tank than it will take to haul the water from home. And your internal system is used to the water from home!
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Sea Dog wrote:
I have asked and been given water at Walmart garden centers.
They usually have hoses for watering the plants.

Cool. Good bit of info
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
dpkimmel2001 wrote:

Bring a long hose. Most gas stations and other businesses will have hose bibs somewhere on the building. Find one and get permission to get some water out of it. Or go to Walmart and buy five 5 gallon collapsible water containers. They fold up almost flat when not in use. The use your tow vehicle to go find water someplace and you can transport 25 gallons at a time back to the trailer.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
I have asked and been given water at Walmart garden centers.
They usually have hoses for watering the plants.
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Jim-Linda wrote:
You will never know the difference in mpg with full or empty water tank. 17 years of FT research.

Jim

SO TRUE!!! the trailer frontal area's air resistance will affect your mpg, WAY more than its weight.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
We will check and see where dump stations are. We will fill up there. We will also fill up at home before we leave - if it's just a weekend trip.

Be careful! Water used at dump stations is sometimes non-potable.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

john_b1
Explorer
Explorer
Just make sure it is totally full or empty.. If you ever take a ride through the median because of water slosh in a partially full water tank you will understand my statement!
JMHO jb
2001 F 350 CC PSD 373 rear,auto
RBW X16 slider,Bedsaver,Prodigy,Fold A Cover,Pressure Pro!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser cf32mk Patriot edit. 5th wheel Fibreglass and all the goodies necessary,Dish,comfy loungers,and a nickel to spend,
Mr & Mrs and the PUP.

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
For health and safety's sake haul your water when you know there will not be any at your final destination. I would still shock the tank, even with your own water supply, who knows what was in the last fill up. Just sayin

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
You can get water at almost any municipal water plant.

-Tom
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 54 gal fresh water tank in the 5'er. Have hauled empty and full. Makes no difference that I can tell. Actually tows better full as the weight is directly over the two axles. I used to do the fill up when I got there thing with our last TT because the tank was behind the axles and made it handle poorly. I love being able to fill at home and just pull in to our spot ready to go. Plus the water usually tastes better.