cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fireplace

azwildcat
Explorer
Explorer
I see many of the newer RVs are coming with fireplaces. Just wondering if they are only for aesthetics or do they function as a significant heat source. For those who have one--are they worth the cost, any issues with them (pro or con), would you get another one, etc. Thanks for your comments.
37 REPLIES 37

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
We love ours. The kids love having it on....even in the summer---with the heat off. We used to bring a space heater for the chilly times,the furnace can be very noisy so we turn it on. At night, I turn the furnace on a lower setting in case it gets too cold and the fireplace can't keep up.

I have to admit that when I first heard of them, I thought it was silly idea.

azwildcat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks for all the good feedback. Appreciate all the info. Will definitely help make the decision when the time comes.

Retired_andLove
Explorer
Explorer
We spent the week in a county park with 30 amp service. Temps got down to low 40's. I was pretty disappointed with the output of our fireplace. It may have been low voltage. I didn't check the voltage. We had always been able to keep the other camper comfortable to those temps with a couple of $12 1500 watt heaters. I had a dedicated circuit that ran off the 20 amp outlet on the pedestal. Used the furnace mostly.
Randy & Dianne
2013 Tiffin Allegro

IND_navyvet
Explorer
Explorer
AdirondackJack wrote:
Ours came with it and we thought we would have preferred the space instead but soon became very happy with having the fireplace.

X2
Wife has smoke allergies so this way we get a camp fire without the coughing and hacking.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:

I've never seen a TT or 5er that used a 1500 watt fireplace as it's PRIMARY heat source:h, they ALL still had a furnace.

1500 watts has heated our TT all season down to about 38F and have not had to use the furnace once. It's now our primary source of heat. I've only upped the total to 1750 watts so that the bedroom heater won't cycle on as long. I built a load shedding controller that turns the heaters off when an appliance(s) is plugged. Never a tripped 30 amp breaker.

All I stated was a manufacturer doesn't install JUST a fireplace in a camper with no furnace and figure that will be all one would ever need, (I've never seen that).. I DIDN'T state one couldn't heat a unit with just the fireplace, ( but dependent on temps...."about 38" isn't really "cold")...it would also depend on length of unit.

Believe me, if you camped in 0 degree temp with a -6 wind chill factor, as we did year before last in WV, you would have used your furnace and been glad you had it,
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
NC Hauler wrote:

I've never seen a TT or 5er that used a 1500 watt fireplace as it's PRIMARY heat source:h, they ALL still had a furnace.

1500 watts has heated our TT all season down to about 38F and have not had to use the furnace once. It's now our primary source of heat. I've only upped the total to 1750 watts so that the bedroom heater won't cycle on as long. I built a load shedding controller that turns the heaters off when an appliance(s) is plugged. Never a tripped 30 amp breaker.

Andymon
Explorer
Explorer
azwildcat wrote:
I see many of the newer RVs are coming with fireplaces. Just wondering if they are only for aesthetics or do they function as a significant heat source. For those who have one--are they worth the cost, any issues with them (pro or con), would you get another one, etc. Thanks for your comments.

We installed one in our TT and have yet to use the trailer gas furnace.
2008 Springdale 266RLS
1999 F250 7.3
Medford, Oregon

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Buy the fireplace for the aesthetics. The heat output is the same as a $10 space heater from Walmart.

true but they now cost about $19.00. I have a DVD that shows a fireplace and has an option to play Christmas Carols.

bumpy

Here ya go, Bumpy. Hang an LCD DVD player over it and you'll be all set! :B
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
We love ours! It provides a nice bit of heat in our living area. We also just like the looks and cozy atmosphere it creates. We especially like that we don't have to worry about tripping over a space heater or tipping one over.

Couldn't have said it better. This week we've been camping in temps between 32F and 60F - the fireplace keeps the chill out and the flames make us feel warmer. On a rainy night when we don't need heat we sometimes run it without the heaters on.
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Our new coach came with it and everyone got a good laugh as we showed it off to family, including us. Now it's a different story. First, many are fairly thin and really don't take up much space. We were looking at new coaches with my sister, who's looking to buy, and saw many in smaller Class A's that were inset mounted in an interior wall and really took up no extra space.

Here is why we like ours. In our previous motor home, we had a couple of space heaters. When needed, we would dig them out of a cabinet, connect and place in the middle of the room and try not to trip over them. They worked well for years and it wasn't that big of an effort to get them out, but often it was enough, in the morning, to go without because of the hassle.

Now, when it's cold, I just hit the remote and we have instant heat, no worry about the heater being in a safe spot and nothing to take out or put away.

Now in all honesty, the flames are okay and ours look very realistic, but I think a wall mounted electric heater with a remote could be a big seller.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

sptddog
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 38' toy hauler that had one in it - would have never thought to pay extra for it. Now that I have it, I'll never buy another without one. It does quite a good job at supplementing the furnace when it's really cold in the fall (down to 35 or so at night), and it seems to keep the garage warmer than the ducted furnace does (and the air conditioner heat, which we think is worthless). I carry a small ceramic space heater, but never use it, as I use the fireplace and then keep the furnace just to cover if it gets really cold.

I will also vouch for the ambience on a fall evening after the campfire, or the early mornings before we've rallied to get outside.

Added bonus, Weima-dog LOVES it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Me, DH, 2 rugrats
2016 GMS 3500 DRW (aka Benny) (sadly gone)
2012 GMC 3500 DRW (aka Bernie) (sadly gone...)
2013 Keystone Fuzion 342 (aka Bertha)(also sadly gone...)
2019 KZ Venom 4012TK (Large Marge the Buttercup Barge)
2020 GMC 3500 DRW (Homer)

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Not a problem Jim . . On the other hand , I don't want to mislead anyone with bad info either,... I have been known to miss things in my older ages
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
On the 5'r we ordered back in 2008 , we passed on the fireplace because of the cost and what heat it put out.. They have gotten better.

The 5'r we just ordered this summer now has a 5100 BTU fireplace...

This weekend will be the first chance that we have had to camp and use it.. I will know after the weekend if it was worth it or not . .
But all the folks we know who have one and use it , LOVE it..

What model do you have? I've never seen one over 1500 watts...5100 watts would be quiet an increase and would, I think, make a big difference in heating..

On edit - after checking , it shows as 1500 watt at 5100 BTU . .

Jim ,
it is 5100BTU not watts.. I believe it is a Dimplex Model #NBDF2608 , But will have to check that out closer when I get home.. I do know that on the brochure , they advertise 5100 BTU ??

Yep, my bad...I read it wrong:o...Sorry about that..

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet