cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Five years, not sour grapes

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Since 2011 we have volunteered as camp hosts. Four years at two state parks and this year, a federal park. The names will not be used to protect the innocent.

It has been our experience during our combined 18 volunteering months that the park employees have used us to do their jobs. While we worked they relaxed. Either sitting in the back room or their offices they relaxed. While we did not want to be micro managed we feel the employees participation in THEIR jobs would have been nice. We enjoy the autonomy but we do not feel our purpose is to do their jobs completely.

Here is an example: At our latest position, the federal one, we come into work and for our scheduled hours, we are on our own. While a ranger is nearby, none is at our immediate work site. We trained for about three hours on the first day then we became "it". We are very capable people each having worked important jobs prior to retirement with much more responsibility than this position. The paid employees disappear until the end of the day and reappear only when it is time to go home.

I know you all might think I am crazy. Our complaint is that the job of unpaid volunteers is to supplement the location's staff not to replace them. Some places act as though the volunteers are there to provide them with time to sit around and do nothing.

It is also worth noting that the required hours for the full hookup RV spots is increasing. At this park the requirement is now 32 hours PER PERSON! Figure it out, 256 hours a month for a couple makes the equivalent amount, even at minimum wage, almost $1,900 a month for the spot. As retired people we have no desire to have full time jobs
32 REPLIES 32

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
A chief complaint of mine is that the "ranger" drives slowly through the campground loop in his vehicle with the window rolled up (and probably the air conditioner on) at the state park. The campground isn't that large...just three loops and probably a total of 40 or less camping sites.

I believe he should park his vehicle and walk each of the loops to see what is going on, be available to answer questions, and have some interaction with campers. There is already someone staffing the entry gate, so he doesn't have to be there all the time, and I know this is the only park he has duties in.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an interesting article:

https://www.npca.org/articles/1195-national-park-visitation-generated-32-billion-for-national-econom...

We've volunteered in national parks and didn't see the rangers goofing off or absent.

We volunteered not for the free campsite but because we wanted to help out in the parks we love. We never put a dollar figure on our hours put in. We did it because we wanted to do it.

You don't have to volunteer in these parks. If you don't there are many others who will.

The parks help the local communities by lodging, restaurants, and giving people jobs.

People come to these parks for a reason. Think about what would have happened if they weren't protected.

Oregon has protected practically the whole coast with their state parks. If not, the coast would be filled with condos for the rich and common folk wouldn't be able to enjoy them like they do.

We have no criticism of the national parks. They do a fantastic job with what little they receive.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

gloriebkj
Explorer
Explorer
When you see the donation box at a National Park, please drop in a dollar or two. The money in that box stays with the park.
gloriebkj

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the federal parks are suffering a cutback in budgets. Do more with less. I worked thirty years for a federal legislative branch agency, you know, Congress. When I started in 1977 we had 8,200 employees. Today that agency has about 1,700 employees. It is typical of most of the three branches of government.

I see the employees where we are working long hours. No promotions or advancement. What opportunities for advancement there are have many applicants. It is depressing to see.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
The National Parks are in trouble financially and it is sad to see.
Could be because all the money generated at the national parks does not stay with those parks. Much of it is pulled back to Washington. :M

gloriebkj
Explorer
Explorer
I could almost guess where you have been. We have volunteered for five years and I can see the differences from when we started until now. I still want to volunteer some, but will be more careful about what we agree to. The National Parks are in trouble financially and it is sad to see.
gloriebkj

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
This doesn't surprise me. As state and federal funding is drying up fees are going up and volunteer labor is leaned on more. In WI they've been talking about dropping all state funding for state parks and forests and making them find their own funding.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Like most jobs you vote with your feet. I personally wouldn't accept a free camp site if that required 64 hours of "volunteer" time - but apparently many would otherwise the positions would remain open and they would be forced to reduce the hours.
Kevin

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have also volunteered many times with the forest service, and a couple of county parks. With the forest service, we were camp hosts at a campground. The primary duty of the ranger, biologists, firefighters, LEO, etc were not at the campground however the biologist who also wore the hat of many positions did bring prisoners to the campground every 2 weeks to work and perform repair/improvement type duties as well as restroom cleaning and trash removal. We could put our hours in doing whatever tasks we wanted to do. There were no assigned hours or tasks other than the normal help campers when they needed, be friendly and advise of the things to do in the area. At the county park we did provide a lot / most of the physical labor while the "manager "who was a paid employee of the park did very little. We have also noticed the increase in hours for volunteers and many positions we would not take because of the hours required. It's different if you want to volunteer more hours but many of the volunteer positions are becoming full-time jobs. We are retired and that's not what we want. We also want a few hours to enjoy life.

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
We agreed to the original 32 per couple a year ago when we applied and were accepted for our current position. Since then a new park superintendent arrived and changed the requirements to 32 per PERSON. When we arrived a couple of weeks ago we were almost begged to take on more hours. We agreed to an addition 8 making our total 40 for the two of us.

We found out yesterday that the full time person responsible for the cleaning of the visitor center, to include two public bathrooms, has transferred to another facility. His position will not be back filled. Heard some talk about volunteers taking over these chores. That is the point where it becomes slides in, levelers up and pointing west.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since 2011 we have volunteered as camp hosts. Four years at two state parks and this year, a federal park. The names will not be used to protect the innocent.

Innocent????? If you call them innocent then why the rest of your discussion.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
MHO: This is what they put tires under the RV for! Being retired and volunteering we have a choice! I would also not keep my voice in my pocket and let them know I am not their to perform all their duties!If that didn't work than maybe a suggestion to their chain of command would help! Not trying to be rude, just a fact!

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I noticed in public campgrounds volunteers do much of the work, and usually very well. While the paid staff is hardly seen and what work they perform isn't that great.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
First thing I would have done once I was told of the required hours, would be to figure out the value of my work versus the cost for the "free" full hookup spot. And go from there.

I have seen some WC positions where the "host" is nothing more than a greeter, and others where you clean the pit toilets. At least we all have a choice.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We have volunteered with both state and federal agencies we won't accept a position requiring 32 hours per person. We often work more hours than required but by choice.
In all our 18 volunteer positions there was only one in which we were disappointed with our supervisor that said his ineptitude did not affect our work.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu