cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat Towing

johnbo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I would like to flat tow an automatic small convertible...I need one as light weight as possible. Is anyone towing an automatic small convertible ?? Thank You
18 REPLIES 18

richardwise
Explorer
Explorer
You and my wife are two of a kind. Unfortunatly, her BMW Z4 either stays home, or she drives it following me. We met a couple from Florida with a Pontiac Solstice, but he trailers it all the time. I don't know of any automatic drop top that can be flat towed.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
tempforce wrote:
most rear drive automatic vehicles will either need the engine running while being towed (transmission in neutral), a driveline disconnect installed or the driveline removed during the tow.. Most rwd auto trans vehicles can only be towed less than 35mph unless a drive shaft disconnect is installed. I personally don't know of any rwd auto trans vehicles that can be towed 4-down....but I'm sure there's gotta be some.

you should not tow a front wheel drive vehicle four down....There are MANY FWD vehicles than can be flat towed 4-down.... my Terrain is only one of them. Equinox, CRV, etc are very popular FWD toads.

best place to find out, is to contact the service department of the brand of vehicle you may be considering...I would NEVER trust anyone at a dealership on this subject...most have absolutely no idea. The best method is to look in the manual under recreational towing. You can also look at the Remco website or the Motorhome Magazine website for brands of almost all vehicles that can be towed 4-down.

Hope this clears up some of the issues.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
most rear drive automatic vehicles will either need the engine running while being towed (transmission in neutral), a driveline disconnect installed or the driveline removed during the tow..
you should not tow a front wheel drive vehicle four down....
best place to find out, is to contact the service department of the brand of vehicle you may be considering...

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

SpiKar
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you may have to go to manufacturers website or look in some old dinghy towing guides.